Posts Made By: Jay Rickerts

October 20, 2004 12:41 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

MASP...And a good time was had by all...

Posted By Jay Rickerts

All smiles during an awesome weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Star Party in North Carolina. I'm on the left with my NX11; my friend Brian Haire is on the right with his ETX 90. Great event; well organized with terrific facilities; great crowd, full of great people. I didn't meet a klinker in the bunch.
Friday and Saturday night's weather was cold but crystal!
I hadn't been to an organized star party since Okie-Tex back in '97. This was a great experience.

February 1, 2005 02:51 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Focus for film

Posted By Jay Rickerts

As I poke around on the Web, I've only seen reference to Hartmann masks being used for focusing digital imaging. Can I use it effectively with my Nexstar 11 GPS and a 35mm film camera with a ground glass screen..? I've been dabbling for a while with both film and basic digital cameras for a while now, and if I spend another dime on anything astronomic, the family CFO will kill me. Making a Hartmann mask would be a nice super-cheapo option! I'll make one anyway and see, but if there are any wise old salts out there with some advice, I'm all ears..
Thanks!
JR

August 20, 2005 05:44 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Remote shutter software for Palm OS?

Posted By Jay Rickerts

Hello all,
I seem to have read somewhere about Palm OS software that could be used as wireless remote shutter control for the Canon Digital Rebel. Can anyone point me in that direction?
Thanks!
JR

September 4, 2005 08:19 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Arriving late to the revolution...

Posted By Jay Rickerts

My wife bought a digital Rebel for the family just a few days after I picked up a Meade DSI for myself here on Astromart. I have some background with guided film astrophotography, but not so much the digital stuff. It all seemed pretty straight forward, until last night when I tried to swim though the DSI software.. my results were far from the "pics like this your first night out.." Don't get me wrong, I blame no one but myself and my attack on the learning curve.
I guess my question is this: once I get the T-ring I ordered to fit the Rebel, will I have an easier time of it? More like setting up and executing a film photo? (just more of them, and processed more..) Last night all I heard myself saying was.. There's got to be an easier way...
Thanks all..!
JR

September 6, 2005 11:40 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Digital Rebel remote control or switch

Posted By Jay Rickerts

I'm about to order a remote for my Digital Rebel, but is there a preference between the hard-line version (RS 60 E3)and true remote control version(RC-1)? Also, in practice, with the camera in the "bulb" setting.. do I *hold* the button while the exposure is being made like an old-fashioned film camera..? Just trying to make sure I order the right one.
Thanks!

February 26, 2006 06:29 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

New Forums

Posted By Jay Rickerts

I've valued the variety of available topics here on AM. Any chance of adding a forum on careers? I, for one, would be interested in contact with people who share a common interest in the stars, and how it might lead to contacts in our professional lives as well. (Despite the fact that I'm contemplating a career change myself, I avoided using the word "networking" on purpose. Buzzwords just drive me a little nuts.)
Clear Skies!
JR

July 27, 2006 11:52 AM Forum: Star Parties

MASP 2006: any word?

Posted By Jay Rickerts

Hey Gang!
Has anyone heard details about the 2006 edition of the Mid-Atlantic Star Party? The website posts this year's dates but little else. Anything about registration, speakers and vendors and the like?
Since moving to North Carolina from my beloved Oklahoma three years ago, I've enjoyed MASP's organization, great company, and terrific grub from the 24-hour Boy Scout snack shack!
(I'm planning to carve out some days in my work schedule well in advance!)
Thanks for any inside scoop!

JR
Summerfield, NC

December 26, 2009 08:38 PM Forum: Mounts

GEM advice

Posted By Jay Rickerts

Hello all,
I'd welcome some opinions.
Currently, I piggyback a William Optics 80mm on my NexStar 11 GPS. I'll put the whole beast on the Celestron Heavy Duty wedge and try some DSLR photos thru the refractor. The camera is controlled by Nebulosity, and I use the NS11 as the guide scope (I have very little patience for the tiny margins of error allowed to at f10 or even f6 with a reducer) I autoguide with PHD. It all works fine, but my aching back tells me I need to start thinking about retiring the NS11 to permanent alt az duty, sell the wedge, and find an easier to handle GEM to carry the refractor. Any ideas what to shop for? A go-to option would be nice, but not required. Granted, I'd love to put that little devil on a Paramount ME, but I got laid off last year and funds are tight! Thanks for the wisdom!
Clear Skies!

April 8, 2005 09:57 PM Forum: Refractors

80mm Refractor Recommendation

Posted By Jay Rickerts

One of my greatest regrets of late is that I sold my trusty old University Optics 80mm f/6.25 ED refractor last year. These were sold as kits back in the 90's for $350 or so.
It was butt-ugly, and the focuser wasn't smoothest, but the objective was a delight. If you can find one somewhere here on Astromart, I'd say snap it up.