My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jon Faasen

April 12, 2004 09:09 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Bungee Tension

Posted By Jon Faasen

I just built the pictured scope with "Bungee Tension".

It has a very smooth motion with no drift.

Has anyone ever tried this method?

October 4, 2004 01:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C9.25 S-GT vs. 10" Newtonian

Posted By Jon Faasen

I have a 6", 8", and a 10" Newtonians, which I like very much. I have debated whether on getting a 12" Newt, but I have decided that it is just to heavy and awkward for the viewing that I do, mostly in my back yard where I must move a scope around to different spots inorder to avoid trees.

I love the views from my Orion XT10i Dobsonian. A C11 would be a nice addition, but 92 lbs. is too much weight. The C9.25 S-GT seems like it would be the perfect scope for me; however, other than a smaller field of view, how spectacular would globulers and other DSOs look in the C9.25 S-GT as compared to my XT10i?

I like the idea of tracking, goto and short exposure astrophotography, but I want to look through this scope and see sharp resolution and bright objects. Furthermore, I don't want to break my back in the process.

February 20, 2004 08:40 AM Forum: Eyepieces

My first 2"

Posted By Jon Faasen

You should purchase a TeleVue 27mm Panoptic. This eyepiece will work good in your Schmidt-Newt. The formula for maximum "minimum" focal length for an eyepiece is focal ratio multiplied by seven (4 X 7 = 28mm).

You can't go wrong with this eyepiece for low power in any scope.

February 26, 2004 04:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astomart-aholic - 10 Step Program ?

Posted By Jon Faasen

Keep coming. It Works if You Work It.

May 4, 2004 05:34 AM Forum: Eyepieces

low power 1.25'' wide field

Posted By Jon Faasen

I have a 19mm Panoptic that I use in my 10" f/4.7 Newtonian.
I have tried lower power eyepieces and most of them are not as sharp to the edge. I was going to go with the 22mm Panoptic, but I like the darker sky backround and slightly higher maginification of a 20 or 19mm widefield eyepiece for hunting DSOs.

I have never tried any of the other eyepieces that you listed. I have heard nothing negative about the 24mm Panoptic, other than the price $$$$$. My 19 I got at the NEAF brand new for $220.00.

July 6, 2004 03:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How to use a straight finder scope

Posted By Jon Faasen

THE BEST THING TO DO WITH A BIG DOB IS TO GET A 9X50 RIGHT ANGLE VIEW FINDER COUPLED WITH A TELRAD. grin wink

September 18, 2004 07:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

orion ED 80mm vs orion 127mm Mak-Cass..need quick

Posted By Jon Faasen

Aperture rules! From what I read about the Konus, its a good scope.

One extra the Konus gives you is a flip-mirror system that is simular to the Meade ETX. You put your lower power EP in one position and your higher power EP in the other.

Sky and Telescope did an article on it a few months back.

November 19, 2004 06:15 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Burgess Binoviewer

Posted By Jon Faasen

I suppose the real question is has anyone seen anything other than a picture of the prospective Burgess binoviewer?

January 7, 2005 05:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

grab and go scope

Posted By Jon Faasen

The Stellarvue Nighthawk 80mm and the William Optics ZenithStar 80mm are both short tube f/6 refractors that are ideal for beginners who want to learn the sky and want a QUALITY BUILT scope.

Nighthawk

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=5324&m=93

ZenithStar

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=8432&m=49

I am waiting to recieve my William Optics ZenithStar 80mm and will post a first light report after the first clear night.

January 13, 2005 06:43 AM Forum: Refractors

diagonal for OrionED80?

Posted By Jon Faasen

Burgess Optical has a great 2" diagonal that uses the same mirrors as William Optics for $89.00. I spoke to Bill Burgess yesterday and he said that he also had got a shippment of those diagonals that have scratches on the outside of the diagonals, so he is selling them for cost rather than shipping them back.

Give him a call:

http://knightcontrol.freeservers.com/