My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Krivsky

March 11, 2004 07:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Parralax Instruments Mounts

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Im looking for information and user experiences on the Parralax Series 125 mount. The smallest one made by Parralax. I know the larger mounts have a good reputation for quality and tracking accuracy. Im wondering how the series 125 mounts compare to those and other mounts like it. My main use for the series 125 mount would be CCD imaging. I currently use a LX200 and am looking for better tracking. The Astro-Physics electronics which are optional are expensive but might be worth it if the tracking is as good as parralax's other mounts reportedly are.

Thanks for any info
Mike

The link to their site is: http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/

May 6, 2005 09:37 PM Forum: Reflectors

Newts for CCD imaging

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello all,

I am looking for possible manufacturers of high quality newtonians that could be used on a GEM mount for CCD imaging. I was hoping you guys could provide me some links to companies that make such instruments. So far the only one ive found is http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/

Im looking for Newtonians in the 10-14 inch range with very fast focal lenghts such as F4 to be used with a corrector.

Thx

June 5, 2005 02:51 PM Forum: Maksutovs

Mak Astrographs

Posted By Mike Krivsky

I saw this last week that ITE is offering Mak newt Astrographs at a Focal Ratio of F4 for imaging. My question is what is the advantage of a Mak Newt Astrograph over a newtonian with a coma correcter of the same size and focal lenght. Keep in mind this is for CCD imaging purposes only.

Thanks for any opinions...

Mike Krivsky

December 2, 2005 07:59 PM Forum: Reflectors

Woden Optics

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with Newt mirrors from Woden optics? Good or Bad and overall quality of their optics...

Thanks,

Mike Krivsky

December 23, 2005 04:16 PM Forum: Refractors

Moonlite 2.5 inch Refractor focuser

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if any here has ever used or have experience with the moonlite 2.5 inch refractor focuser. It is an option on a refractor I am looking at buying. Any idea how it would compare to the 3.5 inch Feathertouch focuser? Are there any disadvantages with the Moonlite over the Feathertouch. The Moonlite is about $300 cheaper as an option. I do plan on doing Astrophotography, but no bigger then 35mm film format.

Link to the focuser is here: http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=CFL2

Thanks,

Mike Krivsky

January 28, 2006 11:30 AM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

Re: Marinette

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hugh Peck said:

Just wondering if there was anyone from Marinette county WI or Menominee county on Astromart.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

While I dont live in Marinette county I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but I take frequent trips up to the northwoods of Marinette. It is quite dark up there compared to the rest of the state. I have been looking for land in that area but I cant find any that is atleast semi-open for Astronomy. So many trees up there grin

Mike Krivsky
Oak Creek, WI

April 1, 2006 07:27 AM Forum: Takahashi

BRC-250

Posted By Mike Krivsky

I am just a little curious as to why there are always so many BRC-250's used forsale on Amart and other places. A fully corrected 10" F5 RC telescope would seem to be a very attractive option for CCD imaging, but it seems like there is almost constantly a BRC 250 forsale somewhere. Are there that many of them out there in the USA or is there something else that makes these scopes up forsale so often.

I ask because I have given some great thought to this scope to mount on my soon to be arriving AP1200 mount. Although I probably couldnt afford the scope until next year.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Mike Krivsky
Oak Creek, WI

April 2, 2006 01:55 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Piers for AP1200

Posted By Mike Krivsky

For those interested I just received my pier from Joe at Parallax for my AP1200 that should be coming in June. I like it alot and at $700 shipped it's exactly what I wanted. The only setup is attaching the legs to the pier column with hand knobs and it takes about 2 minutes to do. I like this pier option because I didnt want to spend $2k+ on a portable pier when I plan to put the mount in an observatory next year. Delivery time was a little less then a month.

Here are some pictures: www.kriv.net/pier/pier1.jpg and www.kriv.net/pier/pier2.jpg

November 7, 2007 05:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telescope for Imaging

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello all,

Wasnt sure where to post this as I wanted to get a more unbias opinion from people. I currently have an SXV-H9 CCD and an AP1200 mount. Im looking at getting a higher end scope coming from an 10" SCT which is just annoying to use for imaging. Ive somewhat narrowed it down to two types of scopes. One is the TEC140 APO refractor or similiar and one is the 10" F3.8 Newtonian Astrographs by Astro Systeme Austria. I think the prices are somewhat similiar after all necessary accesories are added and the focal lenghts are about the same right around 1000mm. My sky conditions are very dark in rural Wisconsin but the seeing conditions are often not that great and as such Im trying to stay under 1500mm focal lenght at the most.

Any opinions and experiences with such instruments for imaging would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

November 8, 2007 04:23 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Telescope for Imaging - Opinions wanted

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello all,

Wasnt sure where to post this as I wanted to get a more unbias opinion from people. I currently have an SXV-H9 CCD and an AP1200 mount. Im looking at getting a higher end scope coming from an 10" SCT which is just annoying to use for imaging. Ive somewhat narrowed it down to two types of scopes. One is the TEC140 APO refractor or similiar and one is the 10" F3.8 Newtonian Astrographs by Astro Systeme Austria. I think the prices are somewhat similiar after all necessary accesories are added and the focal lenghts are about the same right around 1000mm. My sky conditions are very dark in rural Wisconsin, but the seeing conditions are often not that great and as such Im trying to stay under 1500mm focal lenght at the most.

Any opinions and experiences with such instruments for imaging would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike