My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Krivsky

November 24, 2007 03:42 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Borg 22x100 Binoculars with built in LPS Filter

Posted By Mike Krivsky

I was just wondering if anyone has the Borg/Hutech 22x100 binoculars that have the built in LPS filters and whether or not they were satified with the performance and build quality of these binoculars.

Here is a link to them: http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=11292&m=

Thanks,

Mike Krivsky
Wisconsin

January 4, 2008 03:59 AM Forum: Politics

HuckaBoom !

Posted By Mike Krivsky

In Huckabee's victory speech in Iowa Chuck Norris was standing right behind him. Chuck Norris never loses. I found this very symbolic.

January 17, 2009 05:35 AM Forum: Meade

Bankruptcy almost inevitable now?

Posted By Mike Krivsky

So,

Did anyone listen to the Meade conference call yesterday? They stated that they were not currently in compliance with the terms of their loans. And, their Bank Of America credit line, which has to be renewed in September, meade stated that they do not meet the minimum requirements for extending this loan at this time although they "hope" to renegotiate these terms as they are not the only company in this situation. With Bank of America going back to the government again for bailout funds why would they loosen up the terms of their agreement on this credit line and then renew that credit line in September on a company that has little chance to survive this downturn in the economy.

Looks like September may be the end for Meade in it's current form unless the credit market changes dramatically in the next few months, which is highly unlikely. Meade stated that they had several hundred pre-orders for the new ETX-LS. Well, in this enviroment they would have to sell tens of thousands of these or more to now survive and in the companies current state I dont think they are capable of producing them and with the current economy they wouldnt be able to sell that many anyway even if they could produce them.

Any contrary opinions out there or maybe something Im missing?...

Mike Krivsky
WI

June 3, 2009 01:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Motorized focusers for Feathertouch focuser

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello,

I am looking at getting a motorized focuser for my Starlight Instruments feathertouch focuer on my APM/TMB 115mmF7. The two options I see are the Digital Focusing system by Starlight Instruments itself which sells for a complete package of about $800 and the second is the Starizona digital focusing package for feathertouch focusers that sells for around $500. I was wondering if anyone has ever compared the two different motorized focusing systems and whether if anyone knows if the Starlight Instruments digital focusing package is worth the extra $300 or so for some reason.

Thanks for any info,

Mike

January 9, 2010 05:54 AM Forum: Politics

Obama's speech after Jobs report

Posted By Mike Krivsky

I do not post in this forum much, but today I saw something that really disturbed me. Obama gave a speech after a worse then expected job's report for the month of December in regards to creating job's in the Wind and Solar "Green" energy sector. He stated that this plan he announced today would create 17,000 jobs at a cost of 2.3billion dollars. This is almost $140k a job in technology that has no way of satisfing our future energy needs as a country. I do not understand why the Obama administration is not talking up Nat Gas as a bridge fuel for the next 30-50 years while we find, develop and produce truely "green" technologies that will satisfy our future needs. In the last 3-5 years we have found vast Nat Gas reserves right here in the USA and Canada with something called Shale drilling and horizontal drilling I believe. Estimates put our supply at atleast 100years and probably more calling our newly accessed reserves the Saudi Arabia of NatGas.

Is president Obama so beholdened to the far left that he cannot sell a local energy source, NatGas as a bridge fuel, that is atleast 40% cleaner then what we use now and OH did I mention we have it right here in the USA? If he would of even mentioned NatGas as a bridge fuel it would have created 17k+ jobs here in the USA without a single taxpayer dollar in an instant as they ramp up for future production and NatGas applications??? How about getting NatGas to semi-rural areas? Maybe cars and espcially large trucks over time replacing Diesel. NatGas will be relatively cheap for a long time with these new reserves even if demand picks up.

What the hell is going on in this country. As all reasonable and responsible americans I would like to strive for a totally 'green' future, but we are no where near that point yet technology wise.

Is there any sanity in politics anymore or does the far left and right wings have total control leaving no common sense solutions inbetween?

The Dem's will pay for this in 2010 elections and probably 2012 as well. They just are not giving the current job's situation the attention it needs with real common sense solutions such as NatGas that the majority of the country would support.

$2.3billion for 17,000 jobs = $140k'ish per job Cmon!!!!!

Mike

February 9, 2010 03:29 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Imaging from Upper Midwest at 2000mm + Focal Lengh

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone is imaging in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin,Illinois,Michigan,Minnesota) at focal lenghts above 2000mm or more and getting good results on a relatively consistent basis. I image from the dark skies of far NorthEastern Wisconsin mainly with an APM/TMB 115mm F7, SXV-H9 and AP1200gto and have been getting good to great results for a little over two years now. Before that I did image with a 10" meade sct at F6.3 for a while, but results were inconsistent due mainly to frustrations with the scope and lousy tracking from the LX200 fork mount . I think from this experience I have been a little hesitant to drop alot of money for a quality longer focal lenght instrument even thought my mount problems have been solved since while seeing can be good at times here it's often very inconsistent. You can have a few nights of decent to good seeing and then nothing but garbage seeing for weeks or months at a time. I guess my ideal scope would be something like a 12.5" F8 RC or similiar, but Ive thought of getting something else in the 1500-2000mm range instead. Maybe a custom high quality astrograph of some kind? (suggestions welcome!) Suggestions on matching the right camera to scope wanted as well. The SXV-H9 would be one heck of a guider I would think along with being a great match for the APM/TMB 115mm F7

So, my question is, is there anyone out there getting consistent results at the above mentioned focal lenghts from the upper midwest. Or, will this venture be more trouble then it's worth? From my experience so far I think imaging at 1500mm or so is possible here, but Im really not sure about going over 2000mm from watching the skies here. Im just not sure the results would be good except for the few great seeing nights a year. It seems like here in the upper midwest when the seeing is good the transparency is bad and when transparency is good the seeing is bad or both are bad smile

Thanks for any advice
Mike

February 18, 2010 02:02 AM Forum: Reflectors

Starizon Hyperion 12.5" astrograph

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any information on the Hyperion 12.5" F8 astrograph offered by Starizona. (hyperiontelescopes.com) Looks like a really nice well thought out scope and cheaper then some of the super high end RC scopes but I can find very little information on it. I use the starizona microtouch wireless autofocuser on my APM/TMB refractor and it works great. The Hyperion uses it as well.

Any info appreciated,

Mike

September 30, 2011 01:32 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Kodak going Bankrupt

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hello all,

Was not sure where to post this but since it is about business thought I'd try here. This week it came out that kodak will probably go bankrupt in about a 1 to 2 year period if business does not change. This week it accessed another $160 million from its creditors due to the fact that it is in so much trouble. Those creditors are reportedly urging kodak to sell the entire company, but anaylst's say it may be hard to find a buyer right now.

So, my question is, if kodak disappears how will this affect the astrophoto CCD market as most of the chips used in amatuer CCD cameras are kodak based chips. Sony makes some, but as many know they are not making larger format black and white chips.

Thanks,

Mike

January 18, 2013 02:03 AM Forum: Prayer Line

I could use a prayer

Posted By Mike Krivsky

The last 18 - 24 months Ive had alot of chronic pain issues with my back, legs, neck, feet - bascially everywhere. I have been to multiple doctors who could never figure it out. During that time I have only driven up to my observatory about 175miles away 4 times and each time has been more painful then the last. I have alot of pressure sensitivity so sitting for more then half an hour is really hard to do. The last time I drove up to the observatory my back spasmed for 10 hours and I couldn't sit down for a week after it.

So, I went to another new doctor who just seems great and when I told him that I have tingling sensations almost everywhere when I bend my neck down he ordered an MRI of my neck. He thought he might find a pinched nerve or herniated disk in my neck, but instead we found these lesions on my spinal cord consistent with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). So now I have to go see a neurologist because MS is basically your bodies immune system attacking your brain and spinal cord. Im already scheduled for a brain MRI and a spinal tap and more blood testing. Oh Fun!

So any prayers to God, the Universe or whatever you believe in or don't believe in would be appreicated!

Thanks
Mike

May 16, 2005 01:10 AM Forum: Maksutovs

MN56 and Astrophotography

Posted By Mike Krivsky

Hi Ed,

From the research Ive done you can usually get the camera itself to focus fine the problem arises when you start adding electronic focusers and color filter wheels. Also, with the large chip of the 300D the small secondary size of the mak will usually not fully illuminate the field size of the chip although you can use flats to help counteract this. Maybe someone with more experience will be able to tell you exactly what will work forsure.

Mike