My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Wayne Gay

June 5, 2004 02:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

What is the best wedge for an 8" lx200?

Posted By Wayne Gay

I currently own an older Meade standard wedge :S , and am having serious problems with it. >sad Basically it is hard to dial in. I mean, the dumbest thing I've ever seen is the latitude adjusters. Tweak one, it shifts up/down and sideways. Nearly impossible to adjust both equally. Very dumb set up! :C

Anyways, I looked into the after market upgrades and read the various groups here and on Yahoo, and am convinced I need to get a better wedge, rather than spend the money to upgrade this one, since I plan to do deep space imaging with the set up. :S

So my question is, [COLOR="Blue"]'what is the best wedge for the 8" lx200?'[/COLOR]
I am not rich,shocked but I expect to spend in the neighborhood of $400 and I have looked at the [COLOR="Maroon"]Meade Superwedge[/COLOR], and the [COLOR="Maroon"]Milburn Standard wedge[/COLOR].
smile
I am nearly convinced the Milburn is the better wedge, but I am hoping to get some others input, who might have experience with both wedges?
Or perhaps a different wedge in the same price range..
grin
Thanks in advance!
grin grin grin
Wayne

June 9, 2004 05:49 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mettler wedge's - any good?

Posted By Wayne Gay

I am looking for a good wedge to use with my 8" lx200, I wanted a milburn, but new they are 4 months out, and No response in the wanted ad's, however there is a Mettler wedge available. http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=277152
Anyone have any experience with this wedge. Good - Bad ??

Thanks
Wayne

July 20, 2004 04:12 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ST-7XME ABG or NABG?

Posted By Wayne Gay

Hello all,
I have a question for you. My wife purchased me an ST-7XME and CFW-8a for my birthday. I recently went to a star party at Table Mountain (Ellensburg, Wa.) and had an opportunity to do some dark sky imaging. Since this camera is new to me, I did several targets @ 5 min's per channel of LRGB. Some came out fairly good, and others had horrible blooming in them. I did some research on this camera before putting it on my wish list, and as near as I could make out, the new Kodak KAF-0402ME didn't have the ABG or NABG options, nor did they need it. Although they do still offer the ST-7ME with the ABG/NABG option.
Oh yes, the question... Is the KAF-0402ME chip NABG? Does it come either way (ABG or NABG), if yes how can I tell which chip I have?
If it is NABG only, how does one deal with the blooming? Shorter exposures, stacked?

Equipment:
8" LX200 GPS UHTC SMT
6.3 FR
ST-7XME with CFW8a
Mettler wedge on standard Tripod

August 13, 2004 05:47 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

polar alignment questions

Posted By Wayne Gay

Ok folks, this may be a really dumb question, but it is driving me nuts.I am trying to align my scope for imaging.
I am NOT real familiar with the sky or the terminology. My problem is where to look for stars for the drift alignment. First I am told to find a star at +20 degrees on the meridian... Where is the meridian? is it a north and south line through the sky? As the equator is east and west?Could some kind soul point me to typical stars to use for the alignment in the current skies above Washington state. Also know, I have no southern exposure below about 35 degrees from my home site. East down to about 25 degrees and west is non-existent(Big tree) North to about 35 Degrees. Yes I am in a wooded city block. Up is my best exposure...

Thanks in advance..

Wayne

August 27, 2004 02:16 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Decent cheap widefield views....

Posted By Wayne Gay

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some wisdom from fellow Astronomers on wide field imaging. I have an 8" LX200 that I am using for imaging, with an ST7XME CCD camera with a CFW8a. I also have a 6.3 and 3.3 Focal reducer. Now I am anxious to image the Orion Nebula, as well as the Andromeda Galaxy.
So far I have managed to image other things decently with the 6.3, but the 3.3 has been not so successful. On Andromeda, the core fills the CCD chip. Now I realize the CCD is small, but it is all I have to work with.
I am wondering if an Orion ST80, piggybacked to my SCT would work? or something equivalent to the ST80..

Thanks
Wayne

September 26, 2004 04:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Wires wires and more wires.....

Posted By Wayne Gay

Hello everyone, got a question for you.. grin

I am running into problems with my 8" meade LX200 while imaging. Namely, all the wires that are coming off of the camera, dew heaters, etc... shocked
Has anyone come up with a simple solution for keeping the wires a non-factor. :S
Basically, last night I was having really bad problems with tracking. The scope was drift aligned and held the star for a minimum of 5 minutes on both axis's. So I know the tracking was up to snuff, but after I connected the camera (st-7 USB) the tracking went to hell. After fighting it until the fog moved in, I was taking it all apart I noticed that the wires were bound up, pulling down on the camera. Did I mention, I am working on a tripod, and need to take it down every morning... cwy
SO I am wondering if anyone has a solution? I have thought about using wire ties to keep the wires together, but that tends to make the bunch stiffer, and less manageable. I am thinking about attaching some Velcro, somewhere?, tube, then the fork arm, then the wedge? I would like to hear some other solutions that you have used that works. I really feel for those with separate guide camera's, and the extra wires they add to the mix.
Photo's would help, idea's are most welcome..
8) 8O :S
Wayne

October 16, 2004 07:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Good wide field refractor for astrophotography.

Posted By Wayne Gay

Hello all,

Looking for some wisdom here. I am contemplating purchasing a small APO refractor for wide field imaging. I don't have a lot of money to spend, I want to keep it in the $1000 range. I want to piggyback it onto an 8" SCT (Meade LX200 GPS) and I own an ST7XME Imager with CFW8a for imaging.
If possible I would also like to use it for a grab and go scope, but this is not a necessity.
I am currently looking at the Takahashi FS-60C Fluorite Apochromat OTA. This would give me 44.5 x 66.8 arc minutes field of view with this camera. Deep space is my main focus of imaging. Nebula's, Galaxies, Clusters etc.
Would this be a good choice? Anything out there better, or equivalent at a similar or lesser price? Possibly with a grab and go mount, for those quick look nights.
Also, what else is needed to piggyback this to my SCT? Tube rings are a given, but is there a complete set for this type of mounting or do you have to buy the Takahashi tube rings and then a mount for the SCT(IE:Losmandy dovetail rail), and then an adapter to put this all together?
Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome...
And thanks in advance.

Wayne

October 23, 2004 09:05 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Skylight observatory-Info. Anyone done one?

Posted By Wayne Gay

I want to put in a skylight in one of my bedrooms, and turn it into an observatory. Anyone done this? I looked on the 'net and have only found vague info on this. I know what needs to be done for the pier, but I need info on the skylight. IE: Where does one find one that will open all the way, not just to vent, or do you need to modify a vented one? I live in rainy country (Washington state) so it needs to be waterproof when closed, fairly easy to open, (without climbing onto the roof). This will be on a second story, on the south side of my house, as the best skies I have are to the south of me.
Any info would be helpful, links would be nice as well...

Thanks in advance... smile

Wayne

December 26, 2004 02:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

My new Televue 60, Yehaw!!!

Posted By Wayne Gay

Evening Everyone and Merry Christmas!!!

I just received a brand new Televue 60 from my wife for Christmas!!! It is so nice having Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird local. My wife argued with them thinking it came with a tripod and accessories for the price of this tiny little APO. She finally gave in and bought it for me anyway. I am soooo happy she did.

I do have a question for the experts here, heck even the novices can probably answer this one. I want to piggyback this onto my 8" LX200 for wide field imaging and as a finder for the 8". I have a losmandy dovetail plate attached, and I guess I either need an adapter for the Televue, or rings. I am wanting to use this as a quick view scope as well, on a simple camera tripod. What would you suggest I use for this type of setup? I would like to not have to change mounts to go from the 8" to the camera tripod.

Thanks and clear skies. (of course the curse is with me since I got a new telescope, the clouds probably won't clear for 3 weeks..)

Wayne

January 13, 2005 12:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Reticle Led's Where???

Posted By Wayne Gay

Hello, I am looking for replacement Led light bulbs for my MEade 12mm wired reticle. Anyone know where they may be available? They appear to run on 4.75vdc to 4.95vdc (as measured from the reticle outlet on my lx200)

Thanks for any and all help..

Wayne