My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Badrick

January 24, 2006 10:09 PM Forum: Mounts

Best Airline-portable Tripod?

Posted By David Badrick

Can anyone offer comments or recommendations about the best lightweight tripod that is suitable for airline travel?

I have a small refractor, and the OTA, rings and finder (without diagonal) come to about 7 pounds. For a mount, I use the excellent Universal Astronomics Microstar, and it can attach to a tripod with either ¼-20 or 3/8 threads.

Are the ones which can fit into a carry-on (about 21" long) any good? I know some are built from carbon fiber, and are expensive. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they more stable than something that is larger, but can still fit into checked luggage (about 24" or 25")?

My decision will need to consider weight, size, stability and price. However, while I want something lightweight, stability is the greatest consideration (just as long as can fit in my luggage!).

Thanks for your help on this.

Dave

May 31, 2007 07:17 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Question about EP storage in EP Case

Posted By David Badrick

I'd like other's opinions on how to position my large EPs in a new carrying case.

The lower part of the Hardigg Storm Case is about 4.5” deep, filled with pluck foam. The lid is 2” deep, filled with egg-crate foam.

I’m fortunate enough to have both the 17mm and 11mm T4 Naglers, each 4-&-3/4 inches long, counting their end caps.

Should I place the Naglers so that, when I’m carrying the case, they are vertical, oriented to point towards the ground? Or, is there enough room in the case to place them 90 degrees from that, so that they are vertical when the case is opened like a suitcase?

Also, is one position less likely to result in damage than the other, if the case is dropped while carrying it like a suitcase (or does it matter)?

Thanks!
Dave

May 31, 2007 08:30 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Eyepiece recommendations?

Posted By David Badrick

I have a new binoviewer, and am awaiting second 10mm and 7mm TMB monocentrics, which will give me two pairs for close up planetary and lunar work.

I want to ask for recommendations or comments on the following lower cost options for viewing open clusters.

Should I get a second TV 20mm plossl? Or a pair of Stellarvue 20mm 68-degree EP? Or is there another EP pairing that someone can recommend?

Thanks,
Dave

January 2, 2008 03:28 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Request for Beginner Advice

Posted By David Badrick

I’m posting this request for advice in both the Deep Sky and Solar System Imaging forums.

I would appreciate advice on how to modestly approach imaging (equipment, reading materials, etc.). Please understand that, until now, I’ve had no interest whatsoever in imaging. While I now have a small interest, I don’t really know how much. I don’t imagine it will ever develop beyond taking images on a small scale, solely for my own enjoyment. I would prefer to start out trying to take color images, unless there is overwhelming recommendation against this.

I’ve been a visual observer for several years, and currently own 130, 90 and 80 mm APO refractors (all with 2 inch Feathertouch focusers) and an Orion Sirius GoTo mount. I realize this mount is limited, but I hope it can meet my modest needs; at least for now. Likewise, I don’t expect I’ll ever want large format imagers, so the small focusers should be fine.

I’ll finish by saying that I thoroughly enjoy the many images I’ve seen here on Astromart and elsewhere. However, I know that I will never want to spend the number of hours required to shoot and then process images of such high quality. (I already spend 10-plus hours per day on a computer at my job.)

Thanks,
Dave

January 2, 2008 03:29 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Request for Beginner Advice

Posted By David Badrick

I’m posting this request for advice in both the Solar System and Deep Sky Imaging forums.

I would appreciate advice on how to modestly approach imaging (equipment, reading materials, etc.). Please understand that, until now, I’ve had no interest whatsoever in imaging. While I now have a small interest, I don’t really know how much. I don’t imagine it will ever develop beyond taking images on a small scale, solely for my own enjoyment. I would prefer to start out trying to take color images, unless there is overwhelming recommendation against this.

I’ve been a visual observer for several years, and currently own 130, 90 and 80 mm APO refractors (all with 2 inch Feathertouch focusers) and an Orion Sirius GoTo mount. I realize this mount is limited, but I hope it can meet my modest needs; at least for now. Likewise, I don’t expect I’ll ever want large format imagers, so the small focusers should be fine.

I’ll finish by saying that I thoroughly enjoy the many images I’ve seen here on Astromart and elsewhere. However, I know that I will never want to spend the number of hours required to shoot and then process images of such high quality. (I already spend 10-plus hours per day on a computer at my job.)

Thanks,
Dave

November 6, 2008 09:03 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Budget wide angle EP suggestions?

Posted By David Badrick

I bought a scope for a friend's kids - Orion's 6" dob; 150mm and fl 1200mm = f8.

The focuser holds only 1.25" eyepieces. It came with the 10 & 25 mm sirius plossls.

Can anyone suggest a budget eyepiece that would offer a FOV that would take in open cluster targets like the Pleiades?

Also, I'm looking for enough eye relief so that they have an easier time viewing.

Thanks!
Dave

December 9, 2009 05:21 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Need help paying for email address change...

Posted By David Badrick

I changed my email address then changed my 'Name' to match my credit card in preparation for paying the $12 fee. I don't recall seeing a way to pay the $12 at any point.

I searched this forum for procedures and found the question and reply shown below. However, I don't know where to go in order to pay the $12 by CC. I guess I'm missing something. (I hope it's not too obvious. ) Can someone please let me know how to pay the fee?

Thanks,
Dave

[COLOR="Gray"]Q:<>[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Gray"]Reply:<>[/COLOR]

June 19, 2010 09:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

GEM for TEC 160 ED (visual-only)?

Posted By David Badrick

I'm interested in advice on what constitutes a suitable mount for a TEC 160 ED refractor which I expect to have delivered this summer.

The specs for the scope are;
160/1280 f8
Weight 26 lbs
Length 45.5 inches (transportation)
Diameter 6.42 inches

I'm a visual-only observer. I have zero interest in doing my own imaging (though I love to look at others' work). However, I already spend 60+ hours per week on a computer for my job, so...

My preference is for planetary, double star and lunar observation.

I have a TEC turret which I load with TMB Supermonos, Pentax XWs, or Naglers. I also have a standard Denk binoviewer, so there are a serious couple of pounds at the end of the scope.

I don't want to get something too small. I certainly wouldn't be happy having the mount jitter while following a binary at high power. Nor do I want to spend money for a mount that is designed to be rock-solid for imaging.

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Regards,
Dave

February 21, 2014 08:27 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Televue Binovue with TV76 and Panoramic Mount

Posted By David Badrick

Paul, I highly recommend the Unistar mount (Universal Astronomics). It has been my main Alt-Az for years. I find it more than stable enough for my TV85, Denk Standard BV, and TV 24 Pans. I use it for closer viewing, too, with my TMB Supermono 7mms. (Of course, with the higher power and TMB's narrow FOV, I have to move the mount frequently, but this mount is plenty smooth and stable enough for it.) My tripod is an EQ5 from Orion's Sirius, with an adaptor Larry at UA supplied.

I routinely use my TMB 130mm scope with the Unistar mount, too.

If you decide to consider a Unistar, I recommend you call UA, so that you get the right options and mounting set-up for your scope.

Regards,
Dave

April 5, 2017 09:58 AM Forum: How to make AstroMart BETTER!! My idea is.....

EVERYTHING I HATE ABOUT ASTROMART

Posted By David Badrick

The location of the Next Post link changes, depending on the size of the author's avatar image, or whether they use one. This forces me to shift my attention from what I'm reading, in order to advance to the next post.

I'd prefer to position my mouse pointer at the start of a chain of posts, and just click-click-click without having to relocate the Next Post link.

Is it possible to standardize the space that is allocated for the avatar image? I know that this would leave a blank space for folks like me who don't use avatars, but it would expand the forum's ease of use (in my view).

As an alternative, could you add an option to omit avatar images? Perhaps there already is, but I couldn't locate it... (I'd actually prefer standardizing the avatar display, because I enjoy seeing what people use for their images.)