My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Thomas Jane

February 19, 2004 04:32 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Memories of Mars

Posted By Thomas Jane

I won a tiny digital camera,took a picture of some of my Mars sketches from last Augest

February 27, 2004 03:04 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

First Jupiter Sketch;Help with scan

Posted By Thomas Jane

This sketch was drawn on Feb 25, 10cst,about the same time as Sol's the sketch isn't nearly as detailed as Sol's as I'm just starting and my refractor has no chromocorr,best image was with a green #56 filter lots of activity in the NEB the many festoons looked like a bunch of frozen ocean waves or shark teeth, I asked a co-worker to scan the drawing but he also enlarged it too much prehaps someone with the right technology can fix it and send it back thanks.

February 28, 2004 08:02 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch,grs

Posted By Thomas Jane

The following sketch was made at 9:30 cst,the Grs was just a bit past the meridan,a big rift in the seb is shown as dark but it was really white as shown in Sol's sketch,the neb seemed twisted and swirling but I really didn't esolve a dark rift as Sol did ,no access to scanner I really must break down and buy my own,seeing conditions were very steady but all my eyepieces and filters fogged over I've heard of folks using a hair dryer to clear this up.THe grs looked reddish-pink when using the 82a filter.

March 16, 2004 09:54 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Best Jupiter Observations-3/13/04

Posted By Thomas Jane

Last Friday night ,I was rewarded with awesome seeing conditions,Jupiter was near the meridan and and the BE oval was near the meridan,the first time that was able to resolve the feature in my 6"refractor,the grs was on the limb but still noticable,lots of detail was seen in the stb and the sstb seen with averted vision.Best detail at 200x with an 82a filter,althought more detail was brought in the main bands with #56 green.The sketch caption should read March 13 not 14th.

March 31, 2004 03:06 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Double Transit Sketch

Posted By Thomas Jane

Last monday night,caught the double transit on Jupiter I've drawn a sketch and the moon shadows were very sharp like holes drilled though the planet.

May 4, 2004 01:45 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch 5/3

Posted By Thomas Jane

The following sketch was made last night,Jupiter seemed very quite,only a few festoons,neb not too convoluted, it is easy to see that Jupiter is well past opposition as on limb is much sharper and the other limb much dimmer.

May 16, 2004 09:34 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Comet Neat, meet M-44

Posted By Thomas Jane

Last night, a cold clear Canadian high settled over Illinois and I finally got a chance to view Comet Neat. Using my 6" achro and a 2" Deepview eyepiece, I found both Comet Neat and M-44 were in the same fov in the finder scope,it was an easy target in binoculars even in my mag3 skies,Through the 32mm eyepiece the comet appeared to have a well condensed core,the head was elonagated and flattened like a bullet head,only a hint of a tail, the comet must be really nice as seen from a truly dark sky.Now is the time to view this Comet for folks in the northern hemisphere.

May 18, 2004 02:35 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter sketch 5-16

Posted By Thomas Jane

Last Sunday night, I observed Jupiter at about 10:00 Callisto had just moved off the disk,the moon was much further north than any transit I've seen previously.The grs was easily visible as was a beautiful blue festoon arching into the ez from the neb.There was a good deal of white turbulance and a rift in the seb, the grs seemed rather bland,with colr on the top section only.

May 26, 2004 01:58 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Rediscovery of Barrow Lunar Ray

Posted By Thomas Jane

Last night at about 8:30 cdt,I was observing the crescent moon, when I saw very bright lttle ray of light arching from a crater into the lunar darkness. I thought this could be a new lunar ray, after looking at my moonmap, I found it was coming from the crater Barrow.I thought I was on my way to lunar immortality as the discoverer of a new ray, but after looking on the website for Rays found it was first seen by someone named Dave Mitsky in 1999, rats! sad

May 30, 2004 07:29 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch-5-28

Posted By Thomas Jane

Last Friday I was observing Jupiter using my new #11 green-yellow filter,I found it improved the contrast and the grs even showed some detail inside.The neb was as usual ,all torn up, and several festoons sprung up and out into the EZ.A high cloud deck further filtered the planet and no aperture mask was used on my 6" Celestron achro.