My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Thomas Jane

February 5, 2004 11:18 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Sketch 02.04.04

Posted By Thomas Jane

Great sketch Sol I often noticed that bright line on the inside edge of the A ring I've never heard anyone mention it before,it is visible in many webcam photos I've seen I am wondering if some newbies mistake this bright line for the dark Encke division further out in the A ring,thanks for sharing.

February 5, 2004 11:22 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch 02.05.04

Posted By Thomas Jane

Another great sketch of Jupiter's quiet side Sol,the many blue festoons may be a sign of more activity on Jupiter, I wonder if it has cycles like the sun,Anyway I can't wait for the skies to clear so I can observe for myself.

February 6, 2004 02:16 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Great Red Spot (GRS) Sectional Sketch

Posted By Thomas Jane

Wow great sketch,what is the manufacturer of your big Mak,great detail,the dark condensation above the grs has seemed to smear out as it passed over the grs,I hope it doesn't disappear before I can get a look at it after our last snowfall

February 8, 2004 02:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Views in Disc Dob

Posted By Thomas Jane

I get somewhat similiar views in my Cr-150 hd,Jupiter will usually show more detail in my scope especially in the ez which in good seeing conditions is filled with blue festoons curling into the ez,best views of Jupiter were in the 160x-250x range,Saturn's B ring shows more dusty white markings on its inner half and cassini and the A ring are sharper at 250x-342x on nights of great seeing in my scope with a 7mm UO Ortho,and shorty-plus Barlow

February 8, 2004 03:36 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

I finally saw the Alpine Valley Rille

Posted By Thomas Jane

Congrads,I've always thought the rille and Plato's craterlets were easier to see in a slightly gibbous moon with the sun at a low angle,perhaps this isn't correct and they are more easily viewed from a higher sun angle,anyway congrads on your findings and I see the new scope is working out great for you.BTW great website,I like how it shows stuff that can be seen in the sky.

February 15, 2004 02:08 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 02/14/04

Posted By Thomas Jane

Nice photo Paul, the dark spot in the stz has survived its passage by the GRS but seems much smaller in size,lots of activity in the NEb keep up the good work

February 15, 2004 03:57 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

2.14.04 Jupiter Sketch

Posted By Thomas Jane

Another great sketch,can't wait for a clear night to get started with this years round of Jupiter sketches.Lots of festoon activity this year even smaller scopes are picking up vivid blues.

February 17, 2004 01:18 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

The Galilean Triangle, 2004/2/16 UT

Posted By Thomas Jane

Great report Dave, you really have a wonderful chance to look through great scopes,do you think the grs is more pinkish or more prominent as some folks have suggested?

February 20, 2004 09:33 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch Feb 20, 2004

Posted By Thomas Jane

Great sketch Sol. I did get to view Jupiter a few days ago and the NEB seems much more churned up and thinner then last year,I see you saw the little dark spot that surived its encounter with the grs,Can you spot Io against the eq all the across the disk, I can usually see it about 1/3 of the way before it merges with the eq.Keep up the great work Sol.

February 20, 2004 09:37 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Memories of Mars

Posted By Thomas Jane

thanks guys I remenber looking at your sketches thoughout the summer ,it was a great time for stargazers.