My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Roland Christen

October 4, 2005 07:40 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Veil complex

Posted By Roland Christen

Hi All. Had a chance to image the Veil last night using the STL11000 and H-alpha filter that Ray Gralack kindly lent me for testing a new wide field telecompressor. The sky was very hazy, so I was quite impressed that his filter worked so well.

Data: 3 x 30 minute exposures, 160EDF refractor working at F5.7 with 4" wide field TCC, STL11000 camera, 10nm Ha filter. Processed in Maxim and Photoshop.

This first image is 1/4 size.

Roland Christen

October 11, 2005 04:49 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M31 in hazy skies

I have not had much luck getting clear skies for imaging, but even so it has been fun working with this STL11000. Here are 3 images of M31, first one is 1/4 size.

6 x 30 minutes exposure, STL11000, 160 EDF working at F5.7.

Roland Christen

October 28, 2005 09:26 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars new dust storm last night

Hi All,

I was deep sky imaging with my 6" and STL11000 last night and meanwhile was looking at Mars through my 105 Traveler scope. At around midnight I noticed a very bright orange spot just coming around the edge. I watched it grow to rather large size in about 1/2 hour time period. It seemed strange, so I grabbed my ST10 CCD camera and shot about 100 frames. You can see it is quite big and not hard to miss in any scope. Go out and look tonight.

Rolando

November 2, 2005 03:24 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Pelican

Hi All,

This image was taken with 160EDF refractor at F5.7 with STL11000. It is just a small portion of the full image, upper right part resized to 1/2 size.

Roland Christen

November 7, 2005 07:03 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M45, Merope and IC349

This image was in response to a challenge to image the small faint nebula next to Merope in the Pleiades - IC349. Very small object about the size of Mars. I have included a picture of the object taken by Hubble.

Large image M45 - LRGB with 160EDF and STL11000 camera, 10 images at 60 seconds each.

Roland

November 12, 2005 04:27 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

IC1805

7 x 30 minutes exposure, 160EDF @ F5.7, SBIG STL11000, H-alpha, shot through thin clouds.

Full resolution version is posted here:
http://voltaire.csun.edu/roland/ic1805fs.html

Rolando

November 12, 2005 09:34 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Rosette

This is a single 30 minute exposure with the SBIG STL11000, 160EDF @ F5.7, h-alpha, shot through high thin clouds, believe it or not. This one is a 1/4 size image.

Rolando

January 5, 2006 05:31 PM Forum: Refractors

Re: New Meade S5K ED

>Anybody got good intell on the new Meade Series 5000 ED APO Trips?>>

Heck yes. I even know the design already grin , and the fact that they are made in China.

Rolando

January 10, 2006 05:15 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

New mount under test

Hi folks,

Well the skies finally cleared and I am in the process of testing our new redesigned 600 mount. The first test will be periodic error. Already I am delighted by what I see with the first images. I can see almost no wiggle in the image of a star trail at 1.8 arc seconds per pixel in a 7 minute time exposure (azimuth axis offset to allow trailing). If everything goes well and the mount performs up to our expectations, then Marj will let me post an image of the mount so you can see what it looks like, along with a preliminary set of measurements and specs.

We have worked very hard these last 6 months on the design and in machining parts, making fixtures and tooling. I originally said it would be done in late fall, and we indeed did finish it with one day to spare on Dec 20, technically the last day of fall. However, it has been cloudy here ever since, and I had no chance to actually test it until tonight.

I will post more tomorrow when I have had a chance to examine the data that I am getting tonight. Until then .....

Uncle Rollo

January 11, 2006 03:06 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M96 in Leo

I was up last night until dawn and had a chance to see the spring sky, even though it was bitter cold. Took some shots of M92 with a 130F6 and ST10XE camera. Exposure time = 4 x 10 minutes. Image is reduced to 0.67x size from the original.

RC