Posts Made By: Mike Vollmer

January 11, 2005 10:49 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

2X magnifier for a Nikon DR-3

Posted By Mike Vollmer

Does anyone know where I can get a 2X magnifier for a Nikon DR3 right agle finder?

Mike V

February 11, 2005 01:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

best case for a G-11

Posted By Mike Vollmer

I realize this topic has been addressed before, but I am just curious what other people are using to transport their G-11's in. I have a large case I bought at Home Depot that is large enough to transport the G-11, the counterweight shaft and weight, and the tripod head with the Gemini box. It does a good job, but the whole mess is so heavy, I just leave it loaded in the back of my truck and load and unload it at my observing site. I had a custom case made by Unitec, http://www.unitecproducts.com/ to house my two optical tubes but just wanted to see what other options are out there. Ideally, I'd like to have a case (Pelican?) that would fit the G-11, counterweight and shaft. I have a large multi gun rifle case that fits the tripod legs perfectly. How have other folks bridged this?

Thanks
Mike

February 22, 2005 03:13 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Transporting a G-11 Gemini

Posted By Mike Vollmer

I realize this topic has been addressed before, but I am just curious what other people are using to transport their G-11's in. I have a large case I bought at Home Depot that is large enough to transport the G-11, the counterweight shaft and weight, and the tripod head with the Gemini box. It does a good job, but the whole mess is so heavy, I just leave it loaded in the back of my truck and load and unload it at my observing site. I had a custom case made by Unitec, http://www.unitecproducts.com/ to house my two optical tubes but just wanted to see what other options are out there. Ideally, I'd like to have a case (Pelican?) that would fit the G-11, counterweight and shaft. I have a large multi gun rifle case that fits the tripod legs perfectly. How have other folks bridged this?

Thanks
Mike

March 3, 2005 03:30 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Meade Superwedge

Posted By Mike Vollmer

I've noticd recently, Meade is advertising an improved Superwedge for the new RCX400. I'm curious, does anyone know what they have actually done to redesign it? The pictures I've seen of it with the scope, do not appear visually different than the old one. I had to rebuild mine from the ground up right out of the box when I got it because the workmanship on it was so poor. Also, I saw recently Meade advertised a larger wedge for the 14". Is it any better? I'm happy with mine now that I've replaced/remachined 80% of it, but must confess, if I'd known it was going to be this bad, I would have got in line for the Milburn piece.

Sincerely
Mike

March 17, 2005 03:05 AM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

My "other" hobby

Posted By Mike Vollmer

Astrophotography doesn't seem so expensive in comparison.

Mike Vollmer

March 22, 2005 12:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Adapter for Nikon Digital 5400

Posted By Mike Vollmer

Please forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this question, but I am wondering if there are any companies that make an adapter to fit a Nikon CP5400 digital camera to adapt to T-threads. I'm thinking of something that may not be as elaborate as the Scopetronix piece. I have both 1-1/4" and 2" extension tubes that are threaded with T-threads, and all I really need is an adapter to fit between the camera and extension tube. Any ideas from the forum? If this is not the right forum for this, you may reply to me off-line.

Thanks
Mike V.

April 17, 2005 02:26 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Best Photo Printer for under $500.00

Posted By Mike Vollmer

I am trusting this will be the best forum to post this, but I'm considering getting a new photo printer to be able to print photos as large as 11 X 14. I have been using my HP Deskjet 952C up till now, and it is really not well suited for this kind of duty. I would like some recommendations from others that have purchased photo printers recently about which one is best. I have heard Epson has a few that are good...

If this is not the right forum for this, please forgive me. You may reply offline.

Thanks for looking
Mike Vollmer

May 6, 2005 04:06 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

20D for Dummies

Posted By Mike Vollmer

I took delivery of my new 20D today, and must confess to being a little intimidated by all the trinkets and gee-gaws. Guess I need a "20D for Dummies" book smile I would be interested in hearing from anybody with recommendations for the optimal settings for the thing to get me off the ground. I'd also like to hear from anyone that has had any experience with this camera and the "DSLRFocus" software. I'm looking at it, but have not convinced myself yet.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Mike Vollmer
Takahashi FS102/Gemini G-11/ST-4/Meade 10" SCT, yada yada yada

May 7, 2005 12:07 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

first light with 20D

Posted By Mike Vollmer

Low on the learning curve here, but couldn't pass up this opportunity to get a picture of some geese in my back yard.

Mike

May 12, 2005 10:16 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

Re: If you could restore...

Posted By Mike Vollmer

If there were no boundaries on either (time or money) my choice would be a GT-40 (providing all the remaining ones that did not kiss the wall at LeMans are not already in museums, etc.).

Mike