Saturn. January 1, 2005

Posted By Ed York

Beautiful Shot!

Ed

January 2, 2005 08:42 PM Forum: Telescope Making

12.5 f5.9 Closing in!

Posted By Ed York

Pete,

The mirror is a Swayze that I bought here on AM with a lot of the components (package deal).

I read the book in about 3 days - I couldn't put it down. I picked up a second copy and had one on my desk and one in the garage covered with sawdust with about 30 flags hanging out. Even if you decide to do a non-obsession style, the formulas and rules of thumb in the book let you design your own.

Of course reading all the tips here and checking out the premium guys like Obsession, Starmaster, & T-Scopes helps a bunch too. I have a new appreciation for the pros on these scopes. It is a lot more work then it looks - and the guy I bought the package from had done a tremendous amount of work as well.

Ed

January 5, 2005 03:48 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Best/first celestial objects to show a girlfriend?

Posted By Ed York

My wife was taken with Andromeda. Something cool about seeing another galaxy for the first time.

Later in the year, M13 gets a few wows.

Ed

January 6, 2005 07:37 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Having Some Trouble!

Posted By Ed York

Rob,

Can you give details on your scope - brand, model, size, focal lenght, EP sizes ...

Can you descibe what you expect to see? Most pictures you see and the telescope view will be drastically different. Knowing your scope will help people descibe what you should expect.

Ed

January 7, 2005 05:22 PM Forum: Refractors

COPING WITH COLD

Posted By Ed York

I have 2 main rules for dealing with cold weather:

1) Move closer to the Gulf.
2) Go inside when it gets under 30F. It will be not be under 30F 2 days in a row (see rule #1).

Ed

January 7, 2005 07:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Wishing these clouds would disappear!

Posted By Ed York

The Midnight Mistress! I like it!

I have spent so much time working on my new scope that my wife has named it Jodie and refers to it as my mistress. She is a tall blonde.

Ed

January 9, 2005 04:39 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Shroud Sizing

Posted By Ed York

Beautiful scopes Michael!

January 9, 2005 07:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: First Light Soon...

Posted By Ed York

Floyd's just trying the take the blame off of his new Starmaster!

Ed

January 10, 2005 02:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

constant cloud cover

Posted By Ed York

Todayayyayyayyyy I feeleeleeleel like the luckiestestest man on earthearthearth!

I put the finishing touches on the build of a 12.5 truss dob just in time for the clouds to break for 1 day (after about 3 weeks) and come roaring back for the next week. If I knew what I did I would share. For the next week, I am doing whatever my wife wants, helping old ladies across the street and rescuing kittens from trees. I obviously owe some higher power.

Ed 8)

January 10, 2005 06:13 PM Forum: Telescope Making

finished scope

Posted By Ed York

Nice job. I really like the clamp idea.

Ed