My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ed York

June 10, 2005 03:53 PM Forum: Eyepieces

High Power Eyepiece Recommendation

Posted By Ed York

You could get a barlow and use that 7.5mm EP at 3.75mm with nice eye relief.

Ed

June 10, 2005 03:55 PM Forum: After Dark

Friday, June 10

Posted By Ed York

How long do GRS transits last?

Ed

June 11, 2005 03:21 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Lack of monitoring lately

Posted By Ed York

Floyd,

Don't limp in the jungle.

If you want to tighten the reins, just do it - but do it fairly, firmly, friendly and privately (at first).

My 2 cents - not a critique, just advice.

Ed

June 12, 2005 05:38 PM Forum: Reflectors

Center Spotting a Mirror

Posted By Ed York

Tissue paper works nice and is cheap. Lay the mirror on top (back down) and trace it on the paper. Cut along the line. Fold the circle in half turn 90 degrees in half again (1/4 pie shape). Clip the tip of the pie piece (very small). Open the circle and lay on the mirror face. Align the paper. Mark the center dot black paint (a dot on a toothpick works nice). Remove the tissue and put the donut sticker on with the paint dot centered.

An alternate method - use a compass to make the circle. The hole from the compass point id your center and just big enough to center dot with a toothpick.

I hope this helps.

Ed

I hope this helps.

June 13, 2005 05:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

UPS,USPS vs. Fedex

Posted By Ed York

I have been pleasantly surprised many times using USPS priority. They are helpful, a good price, my stuff gets there usually in 2 days (they promise 2-3), I had seen no damage, their delivery seems a little more controlled.

UPS is overpriced, they take a surprisingly long time, weekends don't count on the clock (I've mailed items on Saturday USPS priority and they arrived Monday), I have had packages really banged up, they show up really late in the day (i.e. in the middle of dinner) and if you do not respond in under 3 seconds to their one tap knock, they just leave it on the porch in the easiest view possible from the street.

I haven't used fed ex much but I almost got run over by a truck in front of my house, see them constantly run the stop sign on my street, and the one delivery I had, he pulled up with wheels in the grass, leaving grooves about 2/3 the length of my property (yes, I'm a yard geek - don't mess with my lawn).

On Don's comment abut the tape, if you forgot to tape or missed a spot, the person working the window would have a big roll of tape and do it for you - you probably wouldn't notice. At UPS they would sell you the tape, charge you for applying it ($10.95 an inch), declare themselves free of any shipping damage due to improper packaging and lecture you for 10 minutes about proper packing techniques. Then they would drop kick the box into a wall to see if the tape holds.

Ed

June 13, 2005 05:41 AM Forum: Politics

I call it Negligent Manslaughter

Posted By Ed York

I'm thinking about getting one and training him to fight the neighbors outside lights. wink

Ed

June 13, 2005 05:38 PM Forum: Reflectors

Focusers

Posted By Ed York

I did this on an Orion 8" tube. They have an adapter, but it does require new holes. Not only do you need a curved base adapter, you need a spacer since you are dropping focuser height. The guys at moonlite have the whole setup prepackaged and it is pretty easy. Additionally, the focuser does have leveling screws if you do need to adjust squareness. I didn't need to.

I did modify my kit slightly. I requested a shorter spacer and I also purchased and extension tube. The extension tube has a 2" filter profile so I can switch EP's and not fumble with changing the filter.

The fine focus is good on DSO's. It is absolutely great on planets (high power). You can really find that sweet spot. I really like feel on the moonlite focusers.

Ed

June 15, 2005 12:19 AM Forum: Telescope Making

I need a 10" f/6 scope built

Posted By Ed York

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=353178

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=339898

http://members.aol.com/NGC704/index.htm

June 17, 2005 03:34 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Storage ideas

Posted By Ed York

I built a "cradle" that I put on the top shelf of a walk in closet. The scope lays horizontal. The ends of the cradle are pieces of scrap 2x12 on end with a profile to match the OD of the OTA. This profile is lined with self adhesive felt from the hardware store. I also added some rubber feet - stick on ones right next to the felt in the hardware store. The ends are kept upright and spaced with 3 foot long 1/4" diameter dowels.

Ed

June 20, 2005 02:02 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Focuser height/ eyepiece focal length?

Posted By Ed York

Chuck,

When I did my truss, I put my EP's in another scope and measured the tube height at focus for each. This will give you the difference for the EP's you have in stock. I think the range on mine was about 1.25". My 19 pan was on one end (racked in) and my 8.8 UWA was on the other (racked out). Of course I threw out my notes and am working completely off memory on the numbers, but I would recommend the method.

Ed