My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ed York

June 18, 2004 01:13 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Neptune

Posted By Ed York

How hard is Neptune to find/see? What should I expect to see? I've seen Uranus. Both are methane balls, so is the view similar?

Ed

July 6, 2004 05:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Secondary

Posted By Ed York

If I'm considering upgrading my Secondary (thanks to Floyd's success), how do I know:

- What size to get (8" f4.9)?

- What quality do I 'max' for my primary (Orion/Synta)?
-- What if I am considering a refigure?

Thanks for the help.

Ed

July 9, 2004 11:49 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary Mirror Selection - WWYD?

Posted By Ed York

Simple question, what would you do?

I used NEWT to determine the best size for my secondary. It says 2.05" Looking at premium secondaries, my options seem to be 1.83" and 2.14".

Performance characteristics:

1.83" - 5% Primary surface area obstruction, .3558 in (9 mm) 100% illumintaed, 1.168 in (29.7 mm) 75% illuminated. $120

2.14" - 7% Primary surface area obstruction, .7398 in (18.79 mm) 100% illumintaed, 1.517 in (38.5 mm) 75% illuminated. $180

Ed

July 16, 2004 01:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

How else can I spend $

Posted By Ed York

OK, the primary's getting refigured, an upgrade to the secondary is in the mail, flocking paper is on order and I'm keeping my eye on AM for a 2 speed crayford focuser.

How else can I be spending money on my scope?

Ed

PS if you see an ad saying 8" Reflector $5000, invested $10,000, need money - wife threw me out, you will know why and that this is a great scope!

August 1, 2004 12:49 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Blue Moon

Posted By Ed York

My wife gave me a digital camera recently - nothing fancy. I told her I saw a thread where a guy held up his digital camera to the EP and took some OK shots and I was going to try it. Her response was I wouldn't get a good shot often. When I asked how often she thought, she said once in a blue moon. As luck would have it......

Took it through a Meade 24 SWA with an Orion polarizing filter attached with a Cannon A300 digital camera held up to the EP. Not POD material, but not bad for the effort.

Ed

August 6, 2004 10:32 AM Forum: Telescope Making

You look marvelous! Can I tell you that?

Posted By Ed York

I have my tubed reflector in pieces and will strip down the rest of the way to flock. The big question, what color do I paint the tube (currently Orion gun metal gray).

Isn't there a rule that you can't see good 'till you look good?

Ed

August 13, 2004 08:50 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Flockling Problem

Posted By Ed York

I flocked my tube today (where else could I say this and not get slapped).

I used protostar flocking paper. It sticks great to itself and to me, but doesn't stick very well to the tube. Protostar recommends cutting in long stips (about 1-2") and running the length of the tube. It's these long seams that keep rolling up.

I pressed, I rubbed, I ran in a tool with a smooth, curved edge & rubbed it around, I used a rolling pin. Still keeps pulling up. I said a little prayer. I cursed a bit. I even did a little rain dance - couldn't hurt and it burned off some of that frustration energy.

What else should I try?

The good news, it's hard to see down the tube to work because this stuff just soaks up the light. You almost have to aim the tube directly at a light source.

Ed

August 14, 2004 05:55 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary - WOW!

Posted By Ed York

As I am putting my reflector back together, I am gluing my secondary on. I had the old one (Orion 2.25 ?? pv wave) and the new one Antares 2.14 1/25 pv wave fused silica next to each other to humor myself. Like I would be able to see the difference. The laughing stopped when I looked down. The new secondary is like being in a bright room and the old in a room with a lamp in the corner with a 40w bulb. I thought it was the angle so I switched hands. Same thing. WOW!!!!!!!

I can't wait for my primary to get back!

According to Rick's Wild Card Article 3.1, Strehl is like adding aperture (between the lines - efficiency thing). I'm spending the money to add light (effective aperture) without adding the weight - my back is doing a jig - or killing portability!!!

Ed

August 14, 2004 10:56 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Scope Upgrade - 1 Yard Line

Posted By Ed York

This scope started it's life as an Orion SVP 8" f4.9 Reflector.

Upgraded Secondary - Antares 1/25th wave fused silica
Moonlite Dual Rate Crayford (CR2) for Planetary & Photos
Flocked - Protostar flocking paper
New Paint (cleaner look - Tube: Dover White and Trim: Liveable Green)
Ultra Flat Black on all internals
Stainless Screws on outside (replaced black)
9x50 Finder
Only thing still working- Primary being refigured by Mark Harry.

Upgrade Philosophy: I can get the same or better view with premium optics and tweaking then with a heavier, harder to transport, harder to store mass produced bigger scope. Same View Better Back (SVBB)

Ed

August 16, 2004 02:07 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Flocked Secondary?

Posted By Ed York

If everything else is flocked, should I also flock the back of my secondary - the part that overhangs the holder?

Ed