November 3, 2004 03:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Addition to Equipment

Posted By Ed York

My newest addition and one of most prized pieces of Astronomy "Equipment"

Ed

November 19, 2004 02:43 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Secondary Heater help

Posted By Ed York

I picked up a used Protostar secondary and it has the dew heater. The website says it is wireless and I run the power through the spider. Can someone tell me how I hook this up? I know I have a 12v batter with a cigarette lighter type connection on one end. What's on the other end?

Ed

November 24, 2004 08:08 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Ebony Star Questions

Posted By Ed York

Where's the best place to buy Ebony Star?

How much should I really expect to spend?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,
Ed

December 1, 2004 06:30 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Re: ALERT: Do Not Pay to Name a Star

Posted By Ed York

My daughter named a star and it did not cost her anything.

I have been teaching her a few stars. A freind was leaving and she went out the door and pointed out the brightest star in the sky for him. When he asked which star it was, she proudly said with no hesitation at all, "Sparky". Everyone in my house now refers to this star as Sparky. I've had to update many of my charts and scratch out the obsoleted "Vega" text. It looks more like a Sparky anyway.

To paraphrase the Bard, a star by anyother name is just as sparkley. So call it what you want and save the cash.

Ed

December 24, 2004 08:47 AM Forum: Eyepieces

QX Feedback

Posted By Ed York

Anybody have experience with the QX EP's. That 36mm 70 degree field looks nice for a finder EP and for about $100 it seems like a good deal. Any feedback?

Ed

December 27, 2004 06:58 AM Forum: Telescope Making

12.5 f5.9 - Slowly but surely

Posted By Ed York

I bought most of the components here on AM. I thought the scope was 80% done, but I underestimated the work in the small details to finish.

I sand and start varnish today. I have done 2 coats on the cage as a bit of a trial and to make me feel like I completed something.

The box is tall for a Obsession type (followed the book), but the f5.9 with a smaller mirror (12.5") is driving that - weight goes up (or down) by the square and the moment arm is direct. I could have added weights to bring the balance point down. but I didn't want to lug them around. It is balanced for heavier EP's (used a 14mm UWA for the weight).

Hopefully I will update with completed pictures soon.

Ed

December 28, 2004 02:27 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Power to a secondary heater

Posted By Ed York

If I am trying to send power to a secondary heater on a truss dob, can I route wires to the pole connectors on each end?. I am assuming the aluminum truss poles should carry the current quite well.

Is this correct? Is there a better way?

Ed

January 2, 2005 08:49 AM Forum: Telescope Making

12.5 f5.9 Closing in!

Posted By Ed York

Getting close on my first truss dob!

Ed

January 5, 2005 10:59 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Shroud Sizing

Posted By Ed York

How much slop do I leave in the shroud for slipping on and off but yet not having it baggy (or is baggy and riding low still in?) ?

Ed

January 9, 2005 11:12 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: First Light Soon...

Posted By Ed York

Good luck with your first light. My new scope got out for the first time last night.

Between the guy who started the scope and me (who finished), that mirror didn't see first light for 2 years. I was lucky enough to be the person that saw it's first breaths. It was a very nice experience. Now I need the first dark sky light.

I shared the experience with the people that had to put up with me during the build - my wife and neighbors within ear shot, saw/router shot, etc. Everyone was very happy. I've spoiled them with views from a 12.5" Swayze mirror.

I hope the weather helps out. In a perfect world you could get the rain this winter with the occasional clear sky breaks timed around no moons.

Ed