New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ed York

May 20, 2004 01:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion XT10 or Celestron Starhopper 12

Posted By Ed York

Robert,

I have an 8" Newt on an EQ with dual axis drive. Setting up next to a 10" dob on a couple of occasions, it seemed my view was as good or better then the 10" dob. It could be any number of factors (EP, particular scope, dust on mirror, ....) but it made me think that since mine was tracking and the object not moving in my view, then I could settle in a bit more and the view got better.

Depending on the size issues I would say go with either the 12" Starhopper or the 13" Coulter or sink a little into the C8 to clean it up and possibly get the glass coated. Gut feel, you will not see much difference between the 8" and 10" and you'll spend a few hundred bucks to find this out.

Ed

June 24, 2004 06:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Filter advice.

Posted By Ed York

I used the following link that someone else supplied in a previous thread on filters to guide my purchase.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/raycash/filters.htm

I'm very happy with what I bought for what I am trying to view.

Ed

July 1, 2004 05:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Time for all of us to do our part in supporting AstroMart

Posted By Ed York

I haven't sold much on here (bought more), but I try to reward supporters/sponsors if I can - upgrade shipping, send before check clears, ... anything to make it easier and faster.

If they support AM, I'm pretty confident they're good people and not going to stiff me. I haven't been wrong so far!

Ed

July 8, 2004 12:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

As I get closer to my 8" scope, I'm starting to re

Posted By Ed York

Aperture for the 10" scope is 10" which equals 254mm if you convert over to metric (25.4 mm per 1 inch). The big number here is the 4.9 focal ratio (Aperture/focal length).

You will always see more with more aperture if everything else is the same. Light goes up on the area (pi*r^2) not on the diameter. However, if you are viewing from a light polluted sky, the difference will be minimal. If the 10" is too big to set up easily you will see more from the 8" because you will drag the 8" out more.

The biggest kicker, nothing will keep you happier longer. Read the posts. AM's with multiple scopes, giant Dobs, high dollar refractors are talking about wanting a different scope (See "Gear Aquisition Syndrome, Aperature Fever, ...). That's half the fun of it.

If it makes you feel better, I am checking off the Messier list and have 87 items done plus many many items not on the list. All were beautiful, some were faint, some were bright. I have an 8" Scope very similar to the one you're buying. It's an excellent scope, I'm very happy with it and of course I want a "better" one. And as soon as I get that, I will want a "better" one, and so on and so on.

Have fun. Enjoy. Focus on the things you want to see. You have an excellent scope coming.

Did I mention eye pieces?

Ed

July 8, 2004 02:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

As I get closer to my 8" scope, I'm starting to re

Posted By Ed York

Did you see the sale price?

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=283694

July 11, 2004 06:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

1st Light with the new secondary.

Posted By Ed York

That's excellent news.

Man I should have gone with the 1/20th wave.

Ed

BTW By the time I get my new secondary, my primary will be on its way to be refigured. It will be a few weeks before I get to try it out.

July 12, 2004 06:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Filter suggestions please. That means you, mister!

Posted By Ed York

I seen this link posted a few times and used it myself.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/raycash/filters.htm

Ed

July 13, 2004 03:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Collimating 10 in. Dob

Posted By Ed York

Philip,

I can't disagree with anything said. I would add most of this is probably overkill. Mark hit the nail on the head right out of the box.

First collimate the secondary - use the laser, adjust the secondary until the beam is in the center of the primary (hopefully it is center dotted).

Then collimate the primary by adjusting until the beams match up (or you hit the hole).

If you've got them way out you may need to rough collimate. Also if way out, you may notice your secondary is no longer putting the laser in the middle after you adjusted your primary. Just go though the loop again and it should be fine.

The first time or two is nerve racking, but once you do it about 3 times it becomes a 2 minute job. I can do mine in the dark while talking to someone.

Ed

July 16, 2004 01:48 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Viewing limits

Posted By Ed York

Viewing Limits from my backyard in Houston:

In 98% 90% 50% 20% 10% 5% _ 2%
1 . GL... GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM
2 . GL... GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM
3 . GL... GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM
4 . GL... GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM
5 . GL... GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM
6 . GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM... HM
7 . GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM... HM
8 . GL... FM... FM... FM... FM... HM... HM
10+ CSM CSM CSM. CSM. CSM CSM CSM

Legend:
GL = Good Luck
FM = Full Moon
HM = Half Moon
CSM = Cloudy Skies and Mosquitos

And yet I still drag the scope out there at every opportunity.

Ed

July 17, 2004 09:19 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How else can I spend $

Posted By Ed York

OK, so far I have:

* Send cat chow to Clifton. (probably out)

* Fans (This one definitely sounds interesting)

* Upgrade the finder (This is almost a definite)

* Goto/Push to (It's on an eq mount and I am comfortable with the setting circles. DSC's and a computer would just make it even easier - elminate the cheat sheet)

* "Laser" (must be said with quotation marks - already have it, love it! Collimate every time as part of setup.)

* Almost forgot EP's - that's just part of being an Astromarter. It's kind of like breathing.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Feel free to keep them coming.

Ed