My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Timothy Iafolla

November 3, 2006 06:46 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Observing site on gulf coast of Florida

Posted By Timothy Iafolla

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's on the west side of Anna Maria Island, which is west of Bradenton/Sarasota, FL. I said before that the beach exposure is due south, it's actually southwest.

Right now there's a small cottage on the land, which will unoccupied for the next 4 to 6 months while being refurbished. Then we will be vacationing there part of the year and renting it out for the rest of the time. In the meantime, enjoy!

long=-82.73903
lat=27.527939

November 3, 2006 06:47 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Dark-sky site on Florida gulf coast

More details:

It's on the west side of Anna Maria Island, which is west of Bradenton/Sarasota, FL. I said before that the beach exposure is due south, it's actually southwest.

Right now there's a small cottage on the land, which will unoccupied for the next 4 to 6 months while being refurbished. Then we will be vacationing there part of the year and renting it out for the rest of the time. In the meantime, enjoy!

long=-82.73903
lat=27.527939

November 9, 2006 12:23 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

HEELLLPPP Stigs is gone

OK, this is a GREAT site. The live Planet Finder window that updates as you pass your mouse over the calendar diagram...that's an excellent concept and some kick-ass programming.

Thanks for pointing this one out, Michael.

Tim

December 17, 2006 04:45 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Ultra-precision machining (for Herb)

Sorry, some of the greek symbols got lost. Here are the specs in English:

Surface Finish (Ra): 2.0 nanometers

Programming Resolution (linear): 1 nanometer linear Programming Resolution (rotary): 0.00001 degree

Motion accuracy Axial: 25 nanometers
Motion accuracy Radial: 25 nanometers

Feedback Resolution (linear): 34 picometer
Feedback Resolution (rotary): .02 arc seconds

Straightness: 0.3 microns (8 microinches) over 450mm full travel
Positioning Accuracy (rotary): 2.0 arc seconds
Freeform Curve Accuracy (P-V): 0.125 microns / 75mm dia, 250mm convex sphere

September 10, 2007 09:19 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

New toy joy

Is that Charon snug up against Pluto at ~5:00, or a background star? If it's Charon, I think it's the first amateur image of it I've seen.

Tim

December 24, 2007 03:39 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Focuser hole in aluminum tube - How?

I've had success by pouring a disk of plaster inside the tube where the saw will penetrate (same idea as a block of wood but a much closer fit). Clamp the plater block to the inside of the tube while drilling. This gives the pilot bit and the "uphill" sides of the hole saw something to guide in after they penetrate; prevents the chattering. And the other advice is good: go slow, light pressure, lubricant. Hope this helps,

- Tim Iafolla

January 23, 2008 06:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How hard to upgrade plain cg-5 to goto

Another vote for upgrading to a new ASGT. I had a previous version several years ago, then a dual-axis drive CG5, now a new ASGT. The improvement in stability is very significant, go-to's are accurate and fast. The mount is a great value.

You should be able to get $250 for your non-driven mount; add whatever you would spend on motors and drive controllers for the upgrade, and you will be very close to the cost of a recent ASGT or LXD75. Hope this helps,

Tim

March 3, 2008 10:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Deslandres, Petavius & Ariadaeus Rille

Wow, just wow. Perfect focus, incredible resolution and detail (can't believe it's a 10 inch!), superb processing. Looks like you were taking snapshots from orbit.

Congrats.

December 2, 2008 09:07 PM Forum: Telescope Making

specialized monocular

You might want to try a variety of scope eyepieces, turned upside down. I use a flipped over 20mm Plossl when I need high magnification to inspect solder joints (I unscrew the barrel so I can get my eye right up to the field stop).

An inexpensive 2" EP, maybe a 30mm Q70 or the like, would probably give a wider field and more eye relief.

Hope this helps,

Tim

October 3, 2009 11:39 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

line in processed image

Hi Alex,

I agree it's an artifact, unless maybe you've discovered the lunar version of the Great Wall of China. It might help with the diagnosis to know at what stage of processing it appears. Does it show up in any of the raw images, or the stacked/aligned image, or when you apply wavelets?

Tim