Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC6946 Fireworks Galaxy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Timothy Iafolla

August 21, 2005 06:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Equipment wanted!

Posted By Timothy Iafolla

How about this, which is a version of #2 that isn't so extravagant:
1) Buy a nice scope on AstroMart from someone you trust.
2) Have it shipped straight to where you'll be staying in Colorado.
3) Use it, then ship it home.
4) re-sell it on Astromart; you should get almost all of your money back.

Tim Iafolla

August 21, 2005 07:24 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Testing optical flats redux

Tom, using Photoshop to increase contrast sounds like a nice technique, and one that I can try without too much work.

Depending on how that works, here's my next alternative: I have a 6.5" pyrex blank with a rough f/8 (pregenerated) curve. From that I can polish and figure a very accurate sphere and test my aluminized flats using it and a ronchi screen.

However I'm still open to less labor-intensive solutions (g).

Thanks again,

Tim Iafolla

August 22, 2005 04:03 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Looking for a parts source..

Jack,

Try Small Parts, Inc. (www.smallparts.com). They have lots of, well, small parts.

Tim Iafolla

August 24, 2005 05:56 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: A change of gears - Our seventh planet

Alan Friedman said:

Lovely - and mysterious. The beautiful blue color makes it look like it would be a nice place to visit. 8)

Alan

Yeah, a real tropical paradise! Don't forget the sunscreen... 8)

8) Tim Iafolla

August 24, 2005 06:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars August 20, 2005

Paul, I'm curious about your image...why did you use only the red and blue channels? Also, what is the cause of the very bright line at the sunward limb?
(I'm not criticizing, just asking....these are beautiful images).

Thanks,

Tim Iafolla

August 24, 2005 06:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Another idea

Floyd,

Nice idea. It takes advantage of the fact that you aren't going for cooling here, only disruption of the boundary layer. Therefore only minimal air movement is necesary, = small fan, small power requirement, etc.

I think you could make a self-contined unit, small enough to tuck into the corner of most any mirror box, but still effective at BLD*. If you encase the whole thing in a light plastic enclosure, use say an N-size battery, and mount it with foam tape, the possibility of a mirror-damaging event is remote. You could even include a safety tether (4" of fishing line and a thumb tack). Go for it!

Tim Iafolla

* BLD = Boundary Layer Disruption (you have to have an acronym to sound professional!)

August 28, 2005 04:25 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Copernicus 07/29/05

Wonderful image, Wes. Just curious....does anyoneknow why Copernicus' rays don't show up in hi res shots? Thanks,

Tim

August 31, 2005 07:08 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

My new Astro Sky is ready for star testing!

Floyd,

Is this the one that will house your 10" CZ mirror? If so, I'm jealous! I have a 12.5" f/5.9 CZ in my closet, waiting for me to build a scope, but I'm recovering from a torn achilles tendon....can't maneuver around the shop in crutches.

But I'm out of the cast later this week and plan to have it built before the Mars opposition.

Clear skies,

Tim Iafolla

September 5, 2005 02:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Achromatic refractors

Freddy,

Orion has a Minus Violet filter that's designed to remove the most objectionable color fringes from achro refractors. It makes a big difference but of course it doesn't make your scope an apo.

I don't know if you've handled the C6R before, but if you're looking for a portable scope to take to parties, this isn't really it. It's big, pretty heavy, and has lots of inertia that will put a strain on the CG5 mount. A better option might be a C8. It will be easier to move, has better optics, and there are lots of them available on the used market for about the cost of a C6R OTA. Hope this helps,

Tim Iafolla

September 6, 2005 04:36 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Apennine Mountains

Beautiful gray scale, especially in the lower half of the image. Reminds me of Ansel Adams!

Tim Iafolla