Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Peterson

March 22, 2008 12:54 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Global Warming, Gays, and Abortion! Oh my...

Posted By Doug Peterson

Here's the FRC's belief system. I don't know how the word "Research" got into their title when they have decided these core principles are fact. Speaking as a disenfranchised single person, I consider every one of these to be either a personal opinion or a choice only:

[COLOR="Fuchsia"]Core Principles

God exists and is sovereign over all creation. He created human beings in His image. Human life is, therefore, sacred and the right to life is the most fundamental of political rights.
Life and love are inextricably linked and find their natural expression in the institutions of marriage and the family.
Government has a duty to promote and protect marriage and family in law and public policy.
The American system of law and justice was founded on the Judeo-Christian ethic.
American democracy depends upon a vibrant civil society composed of families, churches, schools, and voluntary associations.
[/COLOR]

May 8, 2008 04:24 AM Forum: Refractors

CHROMACOR Collimation w/ off the shelf parts

Posted By Doug Peterson

Here's the focuser: Remove it from its base and install on the adapter ring. NOTE: the cyclindrical body of the focuser will not fit inside the ring, therefore .45" longer 3mm push screws must be used. Because of this I like the next solution better.

May 9, 2008 12:02 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Climate Change Confirmed

Posted By Doug Peterson

Wow! Actual satellite data, people should read this. An excerpt:

" ... drawing on observations and measurements from the new Aqua satellites to explain the mechanism behind this anomaly between model forecasts and observation. You may have heard that the IPCC models cannot predict clouds and rain with any accuracy. Their models assume water vapour goes up to the troposphere and hangs around to cook us all in a greenhouse future.

However, there is a mechanism at work that "washes out" the water vapour and returns it to the oceans along with the extra CO2 and thus turns the added water vapour into a NEGATIVE feedback mechanism.

The newly discovered mechanism is a combination of clouds and rain (Spencer's mechanism adds to the mechanism earlier identified by Professor Richard Lindzen called the Iris effect).

The IPCC models assumed water vapour formed clouds at high altitudes that lead to further warming. The Aqua satellite observations and Spencer's analysis show water vapour actually forms clouds at low altitudes that lead to cooling.

Furthermore, Spencer shows the extra rain that falls from these clouds cools the underlying oceans, providing a second negative feedback to negate the CO2 warming."

May 18, 2008 12:17 AM Forum: Refractors

LINZIK: my freeware optical CAD

Posted By Doug Peterson

Great!

Arkady, that looks like a Ceragioli achromat color corrector or similar? 6 elements but relatively safe glasses.

June 24, 2008 03:24 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Hansen: Try Oil Chiefs for crimes against humanity

Posted By Doug Peterson

Here's the audio of the interview, he says that 4:00 minutes in. The reporter did put some words in his mouth however. Stereo! I believe he dropped those remarks out when he went in front of the committee.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/audio/2008/jun/23/climate.change.hansen

June 24, 2008 09:14 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Hansen: Try Oil Chiefs for crimes against humanity

Posted By Doug Peterson

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/24/top-nasa-climatologist-pu_n_108834.html

July 10, 2008 12:05 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Hottest SF characters/actors?

Posted By Doug Peterson

I have to go with Dr. Samantha Carter, of Stargate fame. Looks and smarts. Wow!

July 18, 2008 03:50 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Questioning, maybe your not alone.

Posted By Doug Peterson

I read both papers. The Monckton paper was really interesting, challenging the "hidden variables" basis of the IPCC models, that the inputs to the models are in some cases not well known and may be a matter of opinion. Plus some feedbacks assumed positive may be negative. Once again looking at the situation from a relatively conservative position, he seems to imply that the rate of warming may be something like 1/4 of what the IPCC estimate is, similar to Spencer. The question is--if true--is this really enough to get excited about? The debate continues....

July 28, 2008 10:29 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Civility on this Forum?

Posted By Doug Peterson

1) The responses to date have been essentially "I think Dr. Butthead is a liar" therefore it is okay to say in a public forum "Dr. Butthead IS IN FACT a liar".

2) What about the personal attacks on fellow members of what is apparently a rather tight knit community.

Ad hominem attack:
Ad hominem attacks are often used in a debate or discussion where the speaker wishes to avoid the substance of the discussion and instead resorts to smearing the character of their opponent.

3) If I believe either type of attack is okay, should I go ahead and chill discussion and drive people away?

August 12, 2008 11:58 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

0.5 deg. C of man made warming by the year 2100?

Posted By Doug Peterson

August 9 update, more data

http://www.weatherquestions.com/Roy-Spencer-on-global-warming.htm#research-update