Image of the day

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Peterson

September 15, 2006 01:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Longest 2" diameter focuser extension tube?

Posted By Doug Peterson

TV has a 3-incher, AP a 3.6. Anyone know of a longer adapter?

September 28, 2006 06:50 AM Forum: Takahashi

MT130 2" adapter?

Posted By Doug Peterson

Does anyone know whether one of the standard Takahashi adapters will allow the 53mm internal threads of the MT130 to mate to a 2" adapter?

October 15, 2006 07:42 AM Forum: Telescope Making

PreciseParts rocks!

Posted By Doug Peterson

I used their online estimate calculator to get an idea what my adaptor ring would cost, whether it was worth persuing. Then followed up with a personal email confirming the details. A few days later I received a photo of the finished ring and a link to Paypal. In less than a week total, I had a custom part in my hand that mated a TMB and a Takahashi, maybe the first time this part had been made in the known universe. I love it! These guys are Astromart sponsors and deserve our support.

October 15, 2006 02:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion TeleTrack Altazimuth Tracking Mount?

Posted By Doug Peterson

Anyone know how it works? Is it just an altaz with slowmo, or is there something more sophisticated going on?

October 26, 2006 10:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Well my Zenithstar 110mm is a winner

Posted By Doug Peterson

I got mine from the clearance at Astronomics for a price that couldn't be beat. What I got was a scope that was a little out of collimation, but once squared up, is really very good, perfect spherical abberation correction, and very good color correction. Anyone else?

December 2, 2006 12:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Widespread misunderstanding of Strehl ratio

Posted By Doug Peterson

A recent ad for a Takahashi "figured to an almost perfect strehl ratio of .992" and a similar spec for the TEC140 reminds me that nominal design specs extracted from a Zemax CAD model (which these are) and actual results in the real world (which would require an interferometric test report, NOT a zonal focal length smoothing type test used by some mirror makers) are not the same thing.

December 10, 2006 09:47 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Fidelity 401k loan from hell

Posted By Doug Peterson

It has now been six weeks since I initiated a loan from Fidelity and still no money. A 401k loan is from my own money, not theirs, and I pay it back to myself.

At each point in the process I was told I would have my money in two days. One excuse after another. The last incredible development is they supposedly mailed this big check in this busy Xmas season rather than with a tracking number as promised and I was paying for.

Has anyone else had this mind boggling problem with this company? Am I being scammed?

December 18, 2006 02:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Scopetronix--pull the plug on that server!

Posted By Doug Peterson

The Scopetronix site is still up and taking credit card orders. As is well known the company is gone, the store has been abandoned, there is no longer any earthly contact info. Question: where is that credit card info going? Another: where is our credit info for placed orders, and those of us who lost money already? Several months ago, I started receiving fraudulent credit card charges about the same time I placed an order and never received the item, email entreaties ignored, yada yada. Can this be for real?

December 28, 2006 11:43 AM Forum: Refractors

Do classic achromats outperform modern APOs?

Posted By Doug Peterson

A recent ad for a 4" Unitron claims it outperforms modern 4" APOs. I see this claim a lot, usually from someone selling an achromat to buy an APO... 8) Does anyone have any data to support this conclusion?

January 5, 2007 12:08 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Proof of the non-existence of UFOs

Posted By Doug Peterson

1) Millions of cell-phone cameras.
2) Automated telescopes taking pictures of the night sky.
3) Amateur astronomers.

Any others?