My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Peterson

September 15, 2007 12:10 PM Forum: Refractors

The New Q vs. the classic Takahashi FSQ

Posted By Doug Peterson

Well, my initial star tests indicate that both are superb instruments.

The classic FSQ-N has a color correction similar to the TEC 140, and the new Q slighly less red, on the order of the airspaced triplets from TMB. Both samples have superb wavefront correction and exhibit pride-of-ownership right up at the top.

Subjectively, they feel about the same bulk factor (=volume x weight), despite a slight numbers disparity.

The New Q is slightly shorter in traveling mode, but about the same length in use because of the same focal length.

More to come.

September 27, 2007 05:16 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

What is the deal with Direct TV, Part II

Posted By Doug Peterson

I received a robot phone call the other day from Direct TV that said "We realize you are on our do-not-call list, but we would like to give you this opportunity to reconsider...."

Can these guys be for real?

September 27, 2007 05:23 PM Forum: Zeiss

Zeiss 12x56 Victories--Wow!

Posted By Doug Peterson

This is the version just cleared out making room for the 2000$ Victory FL. The non-FL is certainly impressive in its own right--looking into dark shadows against white buildings in full sunlight, I was amazed at the outstanding contrast. No hint of scattered light or haze. On the moon, no faint images of the moon moving around the field of view. Superb.

November 22, 2007 06:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

The most perfect telescope I have owned. You?

Posted By Doug Peterson

The TMB 130mm F9.25 triplet obtained from APM. Zero color in and out of focus, perfect star test out of a textbook. Only 15lbs and will work on a GP-type mount for visual.

What's yours?

December 23, 2007 07:02 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

Star Trek TOS on HD-DVD

Posted By Doug Peterson

Okay I must be insane to spend $150 on the boxed set of year 1 of the original series, but it was worth it. First of all, the series holds up. Many of the episodes are excellent, hold up well, since there is little competition nowadays. Considering I grew up with these on a 13" B&W set and am now watching them on 100" HD screen, it is a whole new experience. I am on board with the new digital effects, the planets look better and so does the Enterprise.

Remember, the series was shot in 35mm film, the same stuff you watched the last time you went to the theater.

Some of the details are amusing like the zippers on uniforms, the Honeywell chart recorder on the shuttlecraft (who comes in and changes the paper disk every day?)

January 15, 2008 05:19 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

The 400

Posted By Doug Peterson

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb&Issue_id=

January 15, 2008 11:17 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

More proof for UFOs--mile long

Posted By Doug Peterson

This UFO so stunned the many who sighted it that they totally forgot to pull out their cell phone cameras!

Of course the locals were saying things like its not from these parts....

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8U62CP80&show_article=1

January 16, 2008 08:52 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Best Science Fiction novelist ever?

Posted By Doug Peterson

My vote: Arthur C. Clarke

Your vote?

January 31, 2008 06:10 AM Forum: Maksutovs

Cumberland, Questar's optics source, sells kits

Posted By Doug Peterson

I see Cumberland Optical, who makes all the optics for Questar, sells optical sets. Has anyone made a scope from these optics?

http://www.cumberlandoptical.com/astronomers.htm

February 25, 2008 03:38 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age

Posted By Doug Peterson

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=332289