Posts Made By: Robert Guzauskas

March 13, 2004 02:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

5" Newtonian

Posted By Robert Guzauskas

This may fall into the category of, "An idle mind is the Devil's workshop" but...

I have a Meade 4.5" f8 reflector. It's accessories aren't worthy of the name. It's on a GEM2 aluminum tripod that wiggles 'n waggles in my gentle hands. But in spite of these short comings I use it often because it's light and available. Now here's my thought: A 5", 750mm mirror will fit in the same tube and probably the same cell. I have better accessories at hand. I have a lathe and vertical mill to refit the GEM2 with larger shafts and some bearings...

But am I trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? I have an 8" f5 reflector so I don't want to clone that. Are there any sane minds on this Forum that might counsel this madman? What say you?

March 16, 2004 08:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pre-Fab Dob Mount??

Does anyone sell ready made Dobsonian mounts, or, a Pre-Fabricated (Pre-Cut) kits. I have a nice 8", f5 Newtonian and I just want to look at stars not saw wood. Any help out there?

March 27, 2004 02:53 PM Forum: Telescope Making

CGE conversion

I have aluminum castings for a pier mounted GE with 1" shafts - formerly steel shafts, now aluminum. I have a new 8" Celestron Newtonian OTA.

My Question is: Where might I get a "GoTo" or "DSC" add-on to drive this rig??

May 13, 2004 04:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Starfinder & Polar alignment

I have the Meade Starfinder (portable) pier mount for my 8" reflector. Can anyone advise me on: 1) The leveling of this portable pier; 2) the Polar Alignment of the RA axis.

How can I level and align my Starfinder?

May 16, 2004 03:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Cobble an Autostar??

I have a (new) Meade 493 kit that contains two motors, gears, mounts, and, a Meade 497 Autostar hand held computer - all apparently intended for some Meade Alt-Az ETX mount.

But can this hardware be used on a GEM mount? Or, can a GEM mount be fooled into thinking it's an Alt-Az mount? ...Help!

May 17, 2004 12:50 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Apeture & "f " stops

I have a new 8" Celestron Advanced Series Newtonian. It's an f5 scope. I'm lusting for a Meade SN 10". That's Meade's corrected, f4, 10" Newtonian.

Would I see any significant difference in photos taken with one or the other?

Bob

May 19, 2004 11:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Schmidt Newtonian??

Has anyone knowledge of a Celestron Schmidt Newtonian reflector telescope? One model may have had a 5.5 inch apeture and about 500 mm focal length. An f3.6 ratio. Any historians out there?

Bob

May 20, 2004 12:02 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Celestron Schmidt Newtonian??

Anyone ever heard of a Celestron Schmidt Newtonian reflector? One model may have had an apeture of about 5.5" and a focal length of 500mm. An f3.6 ratio.

Are there any historians on ASTROMART?

Bob

July 7, 2004 12:16 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Tidal flows

I moved to Florida 33 years ago because I love to fish. And the successful fisher-person pays close attention to the ebb and flow of the ocean tides. The experienced boater would note that tidal flow is one of the most powerful forces of the sea.

OK astronomers if the water of the oceans is subject to gravitational tides - does the atmosphere of our earth, or any planet, exhibit a similar, periodic, tidal ebb and flow.

What say you?

Bob

July 26, 2004 01:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG-5 and a killer DSC

The acronyms mean I have my 8" Newtonian on a new Celestron CG-5 mount. I don't want a GoTo system but I do want and need some help locating DSO's.

So which is the killer DSC system for my Celestron CG-5 setup? Ease of use and dependability are mission critical.

Bob