My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Robert Garces

September 28, 2005 09:44 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Russell Optics VS Stellarvue EP's ???

Posted By Robert Garces

Hello Fellas, ive got a few questions, please enlighten me..
Any ideas on the 2" EP's from Russell Optics / Stellarvue, they would be used with Intes MK-66 Deluxe and a early 90's C8 SCT..
is there anything out there with a better bang for the buck optical quality wise. Has anyone had the chance to compared them side by side ?
hmm, not sure if this is the place for it, but i saw a thread about barlows.. anyone have the chance to compare any 2" barlows agaist the 2" powermate ?
any info will be helpful.. I havent had the chance to look through any 2" ep's is it worth the extra money for them, or should i stick
with 1.25 and maybe get better quality for the same amout i would spend on 2" hardware ?

I want some decent observing EP's that will replace the celestron taiwans and a couple of no name brands which are actually better than the celestrons..
ill give em to my kids cause I dont think I can get much for em.. the celestrons are the ones that came with the case you know the one
sold on ebay for 100.00 bucks that celestron claimed were a 600.00 dollar value, the no name brand ones ive had for 7 years.

thanks, robert

September 29, 2005 06:48 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Russell Optics vs Siebert Optical

Posted By Robert Garces

ok how do these brands of EP's compare, with each other.. quality of optics and workmanship is all im really concerned with,
Before posting this I did a search for the siebert's and a couple of years back there was a rather lengthy thread about the seibert ep's
I need opinions of the quality and workmanship of these new versions of EP's. It appears as though improvments have been made on the
seiberts and would like to hear what you have to say, the seiberts look rather nice, as well as the russells,Ive never really compared
EP's of any type and im looking for your honest input on these. or other brands worth mentioning.. from the 50.00 to 200.00MAX limit.

also the seibert barlows, if anyone has any input on those id like to hear about it.. compared to the TV powermates how do they stand up..

I was looking at prices of some of the EP's TV, new WO, ect. ect..
are they really that much better.. i had no idea they were as costly as this.. im totally amazed at the prices some of them are going for..
its the first time im really looking for some EP's that will be with me for several years and dont really have the money to play with,
save me some trial and error getting something that will be of a quality i can live with.. im almost afraid to
look through one of those 500.00 ep's and like it to much.

if it means anything my eyes are excellent im 40yo no glasses and I can read the smallest lines on the eye charts from twice as far away..
and have managed to keep my night vision due to my line of work radiology, spending lots of time in dark rooms and dim working environments help.

thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals (if any) can give me in my search, hopefully my questions will help me avoid the pains
of finding the right EP's to put in a box and use for many years to come. Im really trying to believe it can be done.. smile
wow this is alot more than i expected to write i just couldn't stop..

thanks in advance, robert

October 18, 2005 05:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

6" Newtonian Reflector made by vixen in Japan for

Posted By Robert Garces

6" Newtonian Reflector made by vixen in Japan for celestron
Diameter=150mm Focal Length=750mm F ratio f/5
anyone have expierience with these scopes ?
just wondering how they fair, the optical quality of these OTA's ?
anyone have any astroimage examples of what this scope can do ?
I want to get something for wide field views and astrophotography,
and i have a chance to pick up one of these. but want some info before
I do.. thanks.

April 27, 2006 07:55 AM Forum: Maksutovs

MAKs

Posted By Robert Garces

has anyone ever had their MAK self collimate, I left the MK-66 on top of the mount sitting in the sun all day under a tarp? it was hot, 85/87 in Miami, Fl., setup on friday night left the mount and OTA out all day saturday, I brought the CGE back from hibernate mode @ 10-11p on saturday night and checked alignment by a goto to Vega which went to center of EP : ). I noticed perfect concentric circles, I was like WHAT! I did a double take, cause I knew i had to collimate the MK-66 i tinkered with it two months prior collimation was off, I moved in and out of focus a few times, and was quite pleased with what I was seeing, perfect collimation, the expansion and contraction from the thermal changes, was my first thought, unless casper was about. I focused vega and see 2 defraction rings very visible, slew over to Dubhe and checked everything again I used a klee Barlow and 15mm EP, defraction rings two of them, wow anyways I was wondering if anyone has had this experience, yesterday I called ITE spoke to Mike, explained what happened, he said he has seen it happen, OTA’s get super heated and will self collimate from the thermal contraction and expansion was it a fluke, good luck, were the secondaries just in the right place for this to happen, probably! but I wanted to pass along the info, it was neat, unexpected and handy that the collimation held.. collimation was not far off to start with but not perfect by any means, however it is now and it does make a difference, every little bit helps.. if anyone tries this and it works out the same let me know, just curious... however, please make sure you tighten down everything! EP's will fall out of diags if they turn upside down like mine did, and im sure OTA's can slip right off the mount if not tighten down, there is alot of expansion and contraction going on, one might not think that much but yes that much... my EP was on the floor that night and the diag was facing down.. : )

robert

April 27, 2006 08:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Maksutovs

Posted By Robert Garces

has anyone ever had their MAK self collimate, I left the MK-66 on top of the mount sitting in the sun all day under a tarp? it was hot, 85/87 in Miami, Fl., setup on friday night left the mount and OTA out all day saturday, I brought the CGE back from hibernate mode @ 10-11p on saturday night and checked alignment by a goto to Vega which went to center of EP : ). I noticed perfect concentric circles, I was like WHAT! I did a double take, cause I knew i had to collimate the MK-66 i tinkered with it two months prior collimation was off, I moved in and out of focus a few times, and was quite pleased with what I was seeing, perfect collimation, the expansion and contraction from the thermal changes, was my first thought, unless casper was about. I focused vega and see 2 defraction rings very visible, slew over to Dubhe and checked everything again I used a klee Barlow and 15mm EP, defraction rings two of them, wow anyways I was wondering if anyone has had this experience, yesterday I called ITE spoke to Mike, explained what happened, he said he has seen it happen, OTA’s get super heated and will self collimate from the thermal contraction and expansion was it a fluke, good luck, were the secondaries just in the right place for this to happen, probably! but I wanted to pass along the info, it was neat, unexpected and handy that the collimation held.. collimation was not far off to start with but not perfect by any means, however it is now and it does make a difference, every little bit helps.. if anyone tries this and it works out the same let me know, just curious... however, please make sure you tighten down everything! EP's will fall out of diags if they turn upside down like mine did, and im sure OTA's can slip right off the mount if not tighten down, there is alot of expansion and contraction going on, one might not think that much but yes that much... my EP was on the floor that night and the diag was facing down.. : )

robert

June 6, 2007 05:32 AM Forum: Maksutovs

MK-66 1800mm f/12

Posted By Robert Garces

anyone ever use one of these with a celestron .63 reducer/corrector and a canon 300d ?

is coma introduced?

June 23, 2009 08:54 PM Forum: Maksutovs

Reducer for mk-66 to get flat field on APS size ch

Posted By Robert Garces

hello everyone... im hoping to find a reducer that will give a flat field on a APS size chip like the canon 300D, celestrons .63 or intes .6 does not, optecs .5 neither of course, any ideas if an AP reducer or an Alan Gee will do it ?

thanks, robert

October 20, 2005 05:09 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

6" Newtonian Reflector made by vixen in Japan for

Posted By Robert Garces

thanks guys, very helpful, I was gonna get it for imaging
but decided not to deal with the flaws of this scope
i'll have to spend more on something a bit slower but i think i'll be happier.

robert

March 14, 2006 07:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Advice on Light Pollution Filters

Posted By Robert Garces

take a look here, if you want the best one.. http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=250
look on the hutech website, as well for comparisons of others mentioned.. : )

have fun.,.