My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Scott Richter

August 14, 2004 10:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Conceptual Polar alignment??

Posted By Scott Richter

Because of tree foliage in my yard, Polaris is useless for alignment for almost seven months out of the year. I've been considering selling my GoTo for a simpler and lighter mount ...and then comes this hair brained idea. If I could see Polaris, from say, my neighbors house or even a park down the street, lugging my mount there and I making all of the necessary adjustments for a perfect alignment. Then using doubled backed tape, attached an electronic digital compass to the mounts accessory platform...noting its precise reading. Could I not go back to my yard...level the mount and based on that reading, have a reasonably accurate GoTo mount ??

March 19, 2005 01:39 PM Forum: Takahashi

210 Collimation quirk??

Posted By Scott Richter

Relating to the 210...I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the secondary shadow could be perfectly centered on one side of out of focus...then slightly out of center on the other side of out of focus? As I remember, I had a similar peculiarity with my 180. I was wondering if I should eliminate my diagonal when collimating? Any thoughts about this would be great! Scott

November 13, 2005 07:28 AM Forum: After Dark

Lumicon finderscope ??

Posted By Scott Richter

I purchased a 50mm Lumicon r-angle finderscope on AM. It came with no eyepiece and I can't seem to marry it to any eyepiece that will come into focus. They all reach focus without the diagonal? Any Suggestions would be helpful...I'm feeling a bit out of focus myself, Thanks

August 14, 2006 06:56 PM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon's airy disk discrepancy

Posted By Scott Richter

I've had both a 180 and now a 210 Mewlon...both tack sharp, but both have had different airy disk patterns on inside and outside of focus. Phil Harrington calls this spherical aberation...but is that what it really is on a Mewlon? Any other explanations...?

November 1, 2007 06:12 PM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon's diffraction patterns?

Posted By Scott Richter

My Mewlon 210 is spotlessly collimated and it's images tack sharp, but the diffraction patterns on both sides of focus are different. This is supposed to indicate spherical aberration, but wouldn't that effect my image quality? Could this be caused by my tiny amount of mirror flop? Has anybody else noticed this? No complaints, but I've been curious for years...Scott

August 15, 2004 02:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron CG Advanced Mount

Posted By Scott Richter

Merlin buddy, I have one...and its great...for visual use only. They simply do not have the precision that you will need for long exposures. ..and yes, I can be adapted to a pier. Only my opinion...Regards,Scott

September 16, 2006 07:40 PM Forum: Takahashi

Tak Mewlon 210 review?

Posted By Scott Richter

Dante, I ordered a copy of the issue with the 210 review from the Practical Astronomer web site. I must say that it was one of the most impressive telescope reviews that I have ever read. Eight pages complete with bench tests including interferometry, PA Black box, Ronchi and knife-edge...impressive. Worth every bit of the purchase price. If there were any legal way to post it, I would... but try and read it. Regards, Scott

November 3, 2007 03:22 PM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon's diffraction patterns?

Posted By Scott Richter

Thanks Craig, I do know of the book but have never consulted it. The patterns are symmetrical, just darker in the center on one side and on the the outer rings on the other. I do know that there is a problem with Dall-Kerkim mirror configuration that produces this, but tube masking covers the outer edges of the mirror effectively eliminating this problem.I'm mainly curious why both my 180 and 210 produced these patterns and also produce impeccable images...anyone else notice this?