My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steve Shlafer

June 8, 2005 09:46 PM Forum: Refractors

Taks

Posted By Steve Shlafer

I have a Tak FS-78 w/ tube ring as well as Newtonian 160mm also w/ Tak tube ring. Is there a way to attach them to a non-Tak mount such as Gibralter, Vixen, Universal Astronomics and the like? I also have the FS-102 w/o the tube ring. I'd love to attach this to a Gibralter. Does TeleVue make something for this?

July 18, 2005 01:34 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Observing nebula

Posted By Steve Shlafer

I guess being a novice makes for asking the obvious. It's just that everytime I see a photograph of the California nebula and/or Pelican nebula it shows the same view. Wouldn't this be the view through a pair of binoculars and that Newtonians as well as telescopes w/ star diagonals would offer another orientation? This dosn't come up much w/ clusters and not so often w/ doubles. it doesn't seem to be mentioned much and novices like me might be looking for something that isn't what we see in print.

August 12, 2005 05:20 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

First Astro-Physics

Posted By Steve Shlafer

I have confirmed purchase of an 80mm f/11 Astro-Physics Guide scope on A-Mart. I am new to astronomy and have learned quite a bit from reading Mr. Christen's posts on these a-Mart forums. I look forward to my first views of his product.
For now, I'll use it simply as an 80mm refractor tho I may want to use it together with a future D&G 8" f/15 refractor.
This is just a word of thanks to Mr. Christen.

August 17, 2005 08:50 AM Forum: Refractors

Re: 4

Posted By Steve Shlafer

My limited experience; one can get a used very high quality 4" refractor for very reasonable prices. TV-102 Takahashi, Vixen, Wm. Optics are all very affordable used at 4". When you go up to 5" there often is a huge price increase. For new, don't forget Antares [see Clear Vue Optics] and StellarVue. Also D&G Optics offers larger refractors of very high quality at extremely reasonable prices.

August 31, 2005 08:27 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

StellarVue 15x63

Posted By Steve Shlafer

I often view in light polluted conditions while walking my dog. Both street and car lights make my ability to dark adapt impossible. I own many pairs of binoculars-including IS binoculars. I must remark on the superiority of these StellarVue 15x63 for hand-held viewing. While they shake a bit too much to do such things as split eta Cassiopeiae, they are fantastic on clusters. Never has M13 shown more brightly, never has M92 been so clear and never has M39 filled me with such awe until my hand-held, yes hand held views of the above. I'm 63 years old but the optics are of such quality and the ability to focus so fail-safe that I found these a perfect joy to use. The wide field was of such quality that there was almost a kidney bean effect that was totally non disturbing.
These are on sale now and they are of superior quality. I'm looking forward to for my first views of M45.
p.s. Not only was the Coathanger very bright even under light polluted skies, it was quite easy to locate with these binoculars.
p.s.s.I have no particular attachment to StellarVue other than owning a few of their products.

September 18, 2005 09:51 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tak 60

Posted By Steve Shlafer

On another forum there is a comparison made between the TV60 and the Tak FS-60. Let's not forget the Tak Fc-60 w/ the lomger focal length and ease of use of 2" eyepieces. I was lucky enough to see one offered on A-Mart and expect delivery soon.

September 18, 2005 05:50 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Semi-Apo

Posted By Steve Shlafer

The much used semi-Apo term seems to have little concrete meaning when viewing other than "better than our regular achromatics." Please see discussions on the Refractor forum. I see semi-Apo binoculars advertised. What are these supposed to be?

September 26, 2005 10:05 PM Forum: Takahashi

FC-60

Posted By Steve Shlafer

Easiest way to mount the FC-60 to the TV Telepod? I have the one clamshell.

October 25, 2005 08:35 AM Forum: Reflectors

Parallax

Posted By Steve Shlafer

N.C. is not only the home of quality furniture.
Parallax is perhaps not best known for Newtonian telescopes, but I happened to buy their 10" plentary Newtonian that was offered on A-Mart in mid- September. I was short on cash when the ad came up and Mr.Nastasi kindly let me make a nominal down payment while he held the scope for me.
I received the telescope yesterday. The packing and shipment was of the highest order, exceeded only by the beauty and quality of the scope.
It's reassuring in this day and age of stream line production that there still is still a place for the Joe Nastasis of the world. The telescope just radiates quality from cosmetics to performance.
I had cloudy skies last night , but just a quick unstable mounting gave me views of Mars and doubles like I've never seen. I don't photograph so I am just going to save for a mount pier system from parallax to do this telescope justice.
By the way, Mr. Nastasi offers personalized service to the nth degree.
Note: I've never met Mr. Nastasi nor had anything to do w/ his products until I saw that ad. I just couldn't keep silent upon receiving this gorgeous telescope.
Anyone else have one of these?

November 19, 2005 05:16 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Augen Optics

Posted By Steve Shlafer

Has anyone used one of the Augen Optics eyepieces?