My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ron Hranac

May 17, 2007 07:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C5+ Travel and Airline carry-on restrictions

Posted By Ron Hranac

I doubt that you'll have any problem taking the telescope as carry-on if it's just an inch over the limit. I've been taking a Tele Vue TV85 refractor in its soft case as carry-on for years with no problem (mount checked with luggage). I'm a million mile flyer, and have never seen anyone measure something like this to see if it's too big.

Last year my wife and I traveled overseas for the eclipse, and hand-carried a Coronado 60mm H-alpha scope, the TV85, and a variety of eyepieces, plus a camera and lenses. No problems with security, customs, etc., anywhere (U.S., Germany, Italy, Libya). Security personnel ran the scopes through the x-ray machines along with our other carry-ons, and on occasion opened the cases to inspect the scopes. No one tried to look through the scopes, though (wouldn't have done much good with the H-alpha scope).

Several years ago a security person wanted to look at my Fujinon 10x70 binocs after they went through the x-ray machine--not because of a security question, but because, as she put it, "I've never seen binoculars that big before." 8O

One time the security guy was an amateur astronomer, and he asked about the TV85. There was no one in line that time, so we chatted for several minutes about telescopes and the hobby in general. grin

Ron
Equipment Forum co-moderator

May 26, 2007 03:28 PM Forum: Takahashi

Signature on the TOAs

Posted By Ron Hranac

My TOA-130 has several signatures on the dew shield. I've been told these are the folks at Tak who assembled and/or tested the scope.

Ron

June 10, 2007 04:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

SkyScout

Posted By Ron Hranac

I have a SkyScout, and have found it to work as advertised. Great for public outreach, which I do a lot of with the Denver Astronomical Society. Members of the public are blown away that a handheld gadget can identify objects in the sky, or direct them to one they're trying to find. I like it, too. wink

Ron

June 10, 2007 04:37 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Looking For Opinions

Posted By Ron Hranac

Not quite comparable...

The PST has a 15mm internal Etalon, while the Solar Max 40 has a full-size Etalon. That said, doublestacking a PST makes a visible and impressive difference.

Ron

July 1, 2007 07:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fujinon's BIG binoculars

Posted By Ron Hranac

I just returned from a weekend trip, and am catching up with forum posts. Thanks to all who replied to my original question. It sounds as if the views through Fujinon's big binocs are indeed impressive, but there is no question that their cost is higher than most alternatives out there. It would be fun to look through a pair of Astro-Physics refractors configured as binocs, though (thanks for the info on that, Roland). 8O

Herb pointed out a much less costly alternative in the Nikon 120mm binocs. Out of curiosity, does Nikon make a version with 45 or 90 degree eyepieces?

Ron

July 14, 2007 07:12 PM Forum: N.A.S.A.

A TOILET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By Ron Hranac

The key here is "toilet system." The $18 million buys MUCH more than just a toilet--and it's far from a traditional toilet that we use on Terra Firma. smile Think toilet plus sewage treatment plant. Still a lot of bucks even from that perspective... 8O

Ron

August 27, 2007 07:07 PM Forum: Star Parties

Any observing in Colorado Sep 14-15?

Posted By Ron Hranac

Hi Dannon,
Lots of activities are in the works for Saturday, September 15. That's Colorado Astronomy Day, with plenty of daytime and nighttime activities at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, Chamberlin Observatory (Denver), and Fiske Planetarium in Boulder.

http://www.coloradoastronomyday.org/

Hope you get a chance to spend some time at Chamberlin. Nice 20 inch Clark refractor in the observatory (open to the public), and Denver Astronomical Society members will have telescopes set up on the park lawn next to the observatory building.

Ron
Equipment Forum co-mocerator (and DAS member)

August 30, 2007 06:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need an answer

Posted By Ron Hranac

Hi Kerry,
If you don't get an answer here, you might post your question in the Canon forum.

Ron

September 6, 2007 07:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky Scout - Mysky questions

Posted By Ron Hranac

Hi Dave,
I've used a Sky Scout to find Uranus in Denver's light-polluted skies, then point the scope at it. This procedure was a little clunky, but it worked: Find Uranus using the Sky Scout handheld (it doesn't like being too close to metallic objects such as scopes and mounts). Remember the approximate azimuth and elevation the Sky Scout was pointing, then aim the telescope in the same general direction. If you can see any nearby stars naked eye, it's a little easier.

Ron

September 6, 2007 07:55 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Ok, let's get one of these Ethos EPs in hand!

Posted By Ron Hranac

Hi Floyd,
I'm on the list at a local shop in the Denver area. I'll pass along my impressions when the eyepiece shows up (not sure when that will be).

FYI, I had a chance to look through one of these eyepieces at a Denver Astronomical Society open house a couple months back. The TV rep was in town, and brought an Ethos with him. First impression was very positive! 8O

Ron