Posts Made By: Oliver Pettenpaul

August 19, 2005 07:48 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 2005.08.18.

Posted By Oliver Pettenpaul

Hi all,

yesterday I was able to image mars again after quite a while. Impressive how good the conditions are right now compared to my last very poor attempts early in the mars season 8)
Seeing was variable in the lower half of the pickering scale - I shot with faster exposure time to freeze seeing a bit better at the price of more gain/noise.
Conditions have been too poor for detailed color captures, in addition I screwed up the white balance resulting in much too much red, alomost not recoverable in postprocessing...
Imaging in near infrared and red revealed much more details, the remains of the SPC are visible best in the red capture.

Best regards & Clear skies,
Oliver

August 19, 2005 04:41 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Mars - Solis Lacus and a few Martian Volcanoes

Hi Robert,

a greate result, even better considering the seeing. Tharsis and Olympus Mons are clearly visible. I'm looking forward to your images of a bigger & brighter mars and better seeing 8)

Best wishes & Clear skies,
Oliver

August 28, 2005 05:06 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 2005.08.28.

Hi all,

here's my first attempt in imaging mars in true RGB with my fire-i cam. Seeing was acceptable when I imaged the G and B channels but suddenly dropped to nothing so the R channel delivering the most albedo features is a pure disaster :S Seeing for the IR channel was about way below average. Anyway, I was able practice the technique for the first time wink
The bad thing is that getting up at 04:00 in morning is not early enough - the scope won't cool down properly and seeing degrades substantially after 05:00 in my area...

Best regards & clear skies,
Oliver

August 30, 2005 09:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 2005/08/30 RGB

Hi all,

here the first processing of my latest mars session:

The session was a bit chaotic and sad: After colimating the C9 I tried to capture with my fire-i, but the cam seem to have died. Data transfer works (->noise), communication with the cam is normal but the CCD doesn't capture any image cwy I rushed in to get my trusty B/W ToUcam to make the best out of the quite fair seeing...

Best regards & clear skies!
Oliver

September 14, 2005 04:56 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Mars Sept 13th UT - LU075C

Hi Robert!

??? 8O 8O 8O ???
Not good ? I dream of such a result. Excellent details, just the right amount of processing. The tiny SPC is rendered perfectly. It looks gorgeous on my laptop display wink

Cheers & clear skies,
Oliver

September 22, 2005 07:40 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Fracastorius 2005.09.22.

Hi all,

I decided to do a little "crater hopping" on the moon last night instead of imaging our red neighbour planet. It's been quite a while since my last lunar session :S Seeing turned out to be disappointing, for this image could only use 128 frames out of 2500 but these few frames are quite ok.

Imaging details:
C9.25XLT, Meade #140 2xbarlow, Astronomik dichroic red-filter
b/w ToUcam pro @5fps
Multiple alignment runs on 3 areas, 128frames stacked per area

I decided not to "neat" the image since some details would have been lost, the noticable amount of noise is caused by the small number of stacked frames

Ok, after shooting a good bunch of lunar AVIs I tooks two sets of Mars RGB captures but then decided to call it a day (night?) - it's been surprisingly cold and very moist - the Schmidt-plate caught a lot of dew and lost a lot of light...

Cheers & clear skies,
Oliver

September 22, 2005 09:50 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mini mars 2005.09.22.

Hi all,

here's a tiny mars result from this morning:

I left the 2x barlow in place from my lunar imaging because the Schmidt-plate was covered with dew and my mount misaligned - must have kicked a leg of the tripod... The quickshot results turned out surprisingly good wink

Cheers, Oliver

September 26, 2005 06:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Posidonius

Hi all,

finally I'm about to process the remaining captures from my last lunar session. Taking a quick look at the raw material I almost decided not to use it but the miracle of stacking frames workes wonder. Not a great image but ok considering the conditions.

Cheers & clear skies,
Oliver

September 26, 2005 08:40 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Recent Mars images

Hi Damian,

really outstanding 8O shocked grin Hope you have good conditions for the opposition, hard to believe your images can even get better.
It would be really nice to get some information about your processing techniques (upsampling?) and maybe to see a raw frame of your masterpieces.

Clear skies & best regards,
Oliver

September 28, 2005 07:48 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Lacus Mortis, Burg, Rimae Burg, Plana

Hi all,

here the last image from my latest lunar session:

The westside of Lacus Mortis (Lake of death shocked ) show an interesting rille system (Rimae Burg) nearby crater Burg. South of Burg can the much older crater Plana be seen, named after the mathematician Giovanni Plana. It's floor seems to be flooded by lava execpt for the central peak.

Cheers & clear skies,
Oliver