New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Oliver Pettenpaul

October 27, 2005 04:17 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 2005.10.16.

Posted By Oliver Pettenpaul

Hi all,

here's the result of one AVI set of my mars session yesterday - two more to go wink Seeing was quite variable with some nice moments. I was lucky to fill my harddisk just before the clouds rolled in.
I pushed processing quite hard compared to my usual style but the material was too tempting...

Cheers & clear skies,
Oliver

November 7, 2005 02:08 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars with Olympus Mons 2005.11.05

Hi all,

after two very busy weeks (I'm very backlogged in my personal mails - promise to catch up...) I finally found time and gaps in the clouds to image again, here my latest mars:

Seeing was to my surprise quite fair. Olympus Mons and features in Tharsis are very prominent, even in the green and blue channels.
I'm still fighting some artefacts near the western limb, I'll do some tests to evaluate the source. They only appear in an image stack, I can't sharpen them out of a single raw frame and only at the western limb. The eastern limb should be almost as bright at the moment so I don't think it's a problem caused by inadequate dynamic range like the "onion ring effect" often seen at Jupiter's limb.

Clear skies & best regards,
Oliver

November 8, 2005 06:54 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 2005.11.07. Ol.Mons, Tharsis, Solis Lacus

Hi all,

here my Mars from last night - seeing wasn't as good as lately but I cought an acceptable moment:

Solis Lacus comes around for us europeans for the oposition smile

Best regards & clear skies,
Oliver

November 9, 2005 09:48 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Some tiny images of Mars from late October....

Hi Robert,

hm, I'd be happy to get results like that in good seeing wink Great results, even more considering the jetstream.

Oliver

November 27, 2005 01:36 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars animation 2005.11.21.

Hi all,

my Mars session from the 21st was quite disappointing. Local seeing was ok but the jetstream caused quite mean microturbulences blurring all finer details. The results proof the poor seeing and don't offer any HR quality at all so I decided to try a small animation:

All frames are IR-RGB composites so overall 16 AVIs have been processed. The frames don't match 100% in processing but I hope you enjoy the animation a bit.
AVIs have been captured between 20:56 and 21:46 UTC on november 21st with C9.25XLT and 4x Barlow, results downsized to 75%.
A slower animated version can be found at http://www.astro-imaging.de/astro/images/mars_2005.11.21_ani_slow.gif

Best regards & clear skies!
Oliver

November 28, 2005 10:00 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: A farewell to Mars (?) and a lunar crater

Hi Robert,

excellent image, congratulations. A great level of detail and processed very natural. I hope it's not your last mars image of that quality this opposition 8)

Best regards & clear skies!
Oliver

December 11, 2005 02:13 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Copernicus w. secondaries & Stadius

Hi all,

I was just about to join in the "bad weather blues" but then something strange happened: I had two clear nights with the moon up in the sky (not as high as it gets here but ok) and during the second night the seeing had quite nice moments. I caught a lucky moment when imaging Copenicus with long shadows. I had to use 6 alignment points for the crater to fight seeing distortions but the resolved details really surprised me considering the conditions with lots of roofs and chimneys around emerging heat into the cold winter night.
After Copernicus itself I added two more AVIs capturing the chains of secondaries and the ancient Stadius. Seeing dropped substancially especially for the last Stadius capture but the material is still good enough for a small mosaic:

This version is reduced to 75% capture size, a 100% version can be found at:
http://www.astro-imaging.de/astro/images/copernicus_stadius_2005.12.10_100percent.jpg

Some more material like Plato is waiting on my HD...

Clear skies & best regards,
Oliver

January 10, 2006 01:10 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Goodbye to mars

Hi all,

after many weeks of clouds, snow and rain finally some clear skies. Here my mars capture from yesterday, maybe my last this opposition. Mars shrunk rapidly to under 11" but shows a nice NPH smile

Clear skies!
Oliver

January 16, 2006 02:03 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Lunar images 2005.01.09.

Hi all,

here my harvest of my latest lunar imaging session. I nearly processed all AVIs now, using multiple alignment points takes a while to dig through one nights material 8)

First is the Kies area with Dome Kies Pi (Lunar100 #60) and it's caldera visible:

The image with labels can be seen here:
http://www.astro-imaging.de/astro/images/dome_kies_pi_2006.01.09_final_labels.jpg

Next is Copernicus, one of my all time lunar favorites. Every little change in the angle of sunlight reveals other details and aspects of the crater's terrassed walls and floor:

Montes Recti is located at the north edge of Mare Imprium. The mountain range has a height up to 1.8km and a lenght of about 90km.

Finally the landing area of Apollo 15 with Rima Hadley:

The angle of sunlight was quite high for this capture so the image shows the true character of the lunar mountains with not too steep slopes quite nice. Here's the landing site with slighly enhanced contrasts:

Oliver

May 3, 2006 01:04 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Petavius, May 2nd

Hi all,

yesterday evening I was surprised by clear skies and dragged my scope out under the still bright blue sky to image the moon. No colimation check or proper polar alignment have been possible but things worked fine except for some very sticky dust motes on the CCD :S Seeing was fair and I've been able to capture some craters, first was Petavius imaged at late dusk:

Clear skies & best wishes,
Oliver