New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Oliver Pettenpaul

May 7, 2006 11:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NOAA10881 in whitelight

Posted By Oliver Pettenpaul

Hi all,

here's my capture of the coming active region 10881 in whitelight from yesterday:

Strong winds and fading seeing prevented imaging with higher resolutions but its's nice to see solar activities during the current minimum...

Clear skies!
Oliver

May 8, 2006 07:41 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Mars and the NPC @ 4.8" in diameter

Hi Robert,

a truely remarkable capture considering the small diameter and only 44°alt. Great to see you have some good seeing.

Best wishes,
Oliver

May 8, 2006 07:13 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Mars and the NPC @ 4.8" in diameter

Hi Robert,

I think your processing is right on spot between aesthetics and feature visibility.
I try to gather some images these days but I run slightly out of targets wink Jupiter doesn't reach 25°alt, Saturn and Mars set in the early night hours and the moon reaches highest culmination during daytime but hey, that's a challenge grin

Clear skies!
Oliver

May 8, 2006 07:51 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Langrenus May 2nd

Hi all,

here's Langrenus from my lunar session on may 2nd:

Best wishes & clear skies,
Oliver

June 11, 2006 12:00 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NOAA 10892 & 10893 in white light

Hi all,

yesterday I finally had a chance to image the current solar activities in white light. Seeing was medium to good, only some cirrus clouds constantly altered image brighness. Looks like the two active regions are shrinking :S

Clear & sunny skies!
Oliver

July 1, 2006 06:31 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

AR10898 in whitelight

Hi all,

here two whitelight captures of AR10898 from the last days. Finally a big one on the sun again to image and observe 8)

Sunny greetings,
Oliver

July 2, 2006 05:34 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

AR10898 in UV 2006.07.02

Hi all,

here a captures of AR10898 from this morning. Heavily inspired by Dodi's images from yesterday I tried my Baader UV-passfilter (originally intended to capture cloud structures on Venus). The magic works, the increased resolution in shorter wavelengths (->smaller airy-disk) is noticable in the image. Unfortunately seeing affects shorter wavelengths more than longer so that the frames are distorted more than known from green light. I used 16(!) alignment points manually and I think the extra efforts paid out.

Sunny greetings,
Oliver

July 20, 2006 10:22 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Jupiter and Ganymede 20060717

Hi Eric,

a great result for 35deg alt grin
I wish I'd have Jupiter at that height these days :S

Clear skies!
Oliver

August 14, 2006 04:48 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NOAA 10904

Hi all,

I found some holes in the clouds yesterday and could finally image the nice 904 area in whitelight, here's the first result:

Clear skies !
Oliver

September 11, 2006 10:40 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Petavius in shadows 2006.09.10.

Hi all,

finally the moon reaches suitable altitudes at nighttime for lunar observers and imagers on the northern hemisphere again smile
Petavius was a great view last night with the terminator right through it. Bright central peaks surrounded by subtle lit floors and structured walls appearing right out of the darkness. Seeing was quite unfavorable but I was in lunar imaging mood so I had to capture the event, here the result:

I tried a new imaging workflow this time: Image capture was done with Coriander under Linux in my camera's 10bit mode, the raw data dump converted to FITS with ImageMagick&Fitswork and fed into Registax. Heavy seeing influences required 10 alignment points and quite a lot of postprocessing. Some more limb & terminator studies are to follow.

Best wishes & clear skies,
Oliver