My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Walton

February 18, 2003 09:48 AM Forum: Star Parties

Big Two-Hearted Star Party

Posted By Doug Walton

Has anyone been to this small star party up in the U.P. of Michigan? I've heard it's held twice a year, and that the skies are some of the darkest you can find. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

April 10, 2003 08:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astrosystems Secondary Adjusters

Posted By Doug Walton

Hi all,

Astrosystems makes two kinds of secondary mirror holders - smaller ones with hex wrench adjusters, and larger ones with thumbscrew adjusters. I think the 2.6" and smaller ones have hex wrench adjustment screws.

Question - has anyone replaced their hex-head adjusters on one of the smaller Astrosystems secondary holders with a set of small thumbscrews? If so, can you provide the details? This would make it a lot easier to adjust the secondary in the dark.

Thanks, Doug

August 28, 2003 05:16 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Info on Pentax DCF SP 10x50's

Posted By Doug Walton

I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to use and/or evaluate these, and if so, what conclusions you reached. They'd be used for birding much more than for astro viewing.

Thanks, Doug

September 29, 2003 11:46 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Canon EOS-10D

Posted By Doug Walton

I'm considering this D/SLR and would like to hear any opinions you might offer as to its quality and performance. I have read a few stories about auto-focus problems but I'm not sure if these are representative. I would be using it for a variety of situations, not just bird photos. There is some possibility of foggy and/or misty conditions but nothing too wet.

If this is not the correct forum, just let me know and I'll repost it somewhere else.

Thanks, Doug

November 2, 2003 02:33 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Gull with an Attitude

Posted By Doug Walton

Marquette, MI, taken with Canon 300D, 75-300 USM IS, 200 ISO.

November 2, 2003 02:36 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Lake Superior Reflection

Posted By Doug Walton

Not sure if it's OK to post nature landscapes here. This one was taken in Marquette, MI, with a Canon 300D, 18-55mm kit lens, ISO 200.

November 12, 2003 06:15 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Determining Value of OM System?

Posted By Doug Walton

Not sure if this is the place to post...

I have a really mint, fully functional OM system that's been collecting dust for over a decade. OM-1n, 28-48 zoom, 65-200 zoom, 21mm prime, Winder 2, various filters. Everything except the winder looks like it just came out of the box.

I'd like to sell this equipment now that I'm getting into D/SLRs, but I have no idea how one determines fair prices for this kind of equipment. Any suggestions? I'm not so much asking for anyone to give me estimates on the listed equipment (although that would be great), but rather, wondering if there is a web site that I can go to that has market prices for stuff like this.

Thanks very much,
Doug

November 13, 2003 06:46 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Lens Range for Effective Bird Shots

Posted By Doug Walton

I'd like to get some opinions on what you feel is the effective lens range for effectively taking quality bird shots.

For example, let's say that I've lost my mind, and I'm looking to spend a wad of money on a Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS, along with a 1.4 teleconverter. At the high end, with a D/SLR, this would yield something like a 448mm length, with image stabilization, and pretty good aperture.

Is 448mm really enough, or should I be looking at something like a 100-400 IS with the 1.4 teleconverter (which would yield me something like 562mm)?

Thanks very much for your thoughts and opinions.

Doug

January 14, 2004 06:47 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: 18" starstructure solid edge cell

Posted By Doug Walton

Michael, you rock!

One question - I've read that with solid mirror supports, you wanted the support to only extend perhsps 1/2 the thickness of the mirror towards the front surface of the mirror. I noticed that your fine-looking supports extend pretty much under the entire mirror edge - I guess you've found that it works fine, given your testing?

Thanks for all these posts.

Doug

February 7, 2004 08:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Uti Owners (or Uti Experience)?

Posted By Doug Walton

If you own (or have owned) an Uti reflector, or have used one, please post your opinions and thoughts. I wouldn't say that I'm to the point where I'm seriously considering one, but they are very interesting to me. I have a viewing situation at a new house where having an ultra-lightweight, quickly moveable truss reflector would be a nice thing to have. Being able to put it in an overhead compartment on a plane is of little interest to me, but being able to pick it up and easily walk it 20 yards to a new spot would be great. 8" is less aperture than I'd want, but compromises may need to be made.

Thanks, Doug