New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steve McDaniel

December 24, 2007 03:16 PM Forum: Refractors

Stellarvue M7 Mount

Posted By Steve McDaniel

Hello,

Does anyone out there have a Stellarvue M7 Mount?

I would be interested in any information or user reports about them. They look great from what I can see from the Stellarvue web site. They are also described as "waitlisted," but there is no estimated delivery date on the waitlist page.

best regards,

Steve

June 24, 2007 10:47 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

I coulda Had a Mewlon 300

Posted By Steve McDaniel

Hello Scott,

Bad choice, my friend, bad choice indeed.

best regards,

Steve smile

May 27, 2008 02:14 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Older 70's/80's/90's vs. recent model 80mm's?

Posted By Steve McDaniel

Hi JT,

I have a pair of Swift 11x80s from the early 1980s. They were made in Japan. I had a pair of 9x63s by another manufacturer from 2004. The coatings had several obvious flaws that were bad enough to affect the final image (slightly). I am demanding in the area of optical quality, so I donated them to my Astronomy Club and they were very happy. I think that the difference between 70s/80/90s binocs and those of today comes down to one thing. Those of 10 years ago and earlier were made in Japan to high or reasonably high standards - most binocs of today are made in China to mediocre or somewhat higher levels of quality , in my opinion (at an unfair wage/under bad working conditions, in most cases).

Sorry for the editorial - I think that I am saying something like, "Stick with the older ones as they are likely to be of better quality." That would hold true until one gets to the "price point" of some of the Nikon/Fujinon and then Swarovski binoculars (in that case, I would go with new ones).

best regards,

Steve

February 6, 2009 01:32 AM Forum: Zeiss

50/540

Posted By Steve McDaniel

Hello Daniela,

I have a C50/540 that I use with a Borg Series 80 tube and focuser. This is Borg Part #6000. I had Ashley Stevens from PreciseParts make a special adapter that holds the Zeiss lens and screws into the Borg's threads. Ashley is an artist with a lathe - it was not cheap in the end, but it is a great little telescope. I am hoping to use it with a LSS Ha filter someday.

best regards,

Steve

August 23, 2011 01:34 AM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Unitron 4" Equatorial

Posted By Steve McDaniel

Hi Pete,

I will pile on with one more suggestion. I would highly recommend:

Ashley Stevens
Precise Parts

He is an artist with a lathe. He has made several things for me. I have seen a big scope (23 inch refractor) that was modified with what you might call a reverse wedge. This wedge imparted the latitude difference in the negative - so, in your case a downard pitch of 6 degrees. This is the large Clark Refractor at Roper Mountain, that was moved from Princeton, NJ to Greenville, SC.

respectfully,

steve

August 23, 2011 01:40 AM Forum: Home Observatories

10" refractor in Gold Mtn Observatory

Posted By Steve McDaniel

Hello Mr, Wiederrich, wow - are you using a D&G Objective?

respectfully,

Steve