My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Wes Bolin

February 21, 2007 03:28 PM Forum: Refractors

Refractor Collimation

Posted By Wes Bolin

Too many clouds and too much time on my hands. When collimating a refractor with a
Cheshire (or a TAK Collimator), will I get a different set of doughnuts to align in
an airspaced triplet compared to an oil spaced triplet objective? Seems like the
center element in the oil trilet will not reflect back? Should both look the same
in collimation with concentric lined-up doughnuts? I've never collimated an oil
spaced scope.
Thanks,
Wes

April 16, 2008 07:39 AM Forum: Star Parties

All-Arkansas Star Party

Posted By Wes Bolin

Saturday, May 03, the Red River Astronomy Club is hosting a
day of fellowship and a night of viewing at our dark-sky site near Nashville, Ar. Set-up can take place Fri night if
wanted. Saturday we will have Gary Parkerson from Astronomy
Technology Magazine talk, and serve an evening meal for $5.00. Just casual fun, no cost, clear sky viewing. For
more info, go to rrac.org. Hope to see you there.

Wes

December 29, 2010 07:43 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Buying from Spain

Posted By Wes Bolin

I have a chance to buy an item from Spain; the price is very good. But, the gentleman has no history
on AstroMart. The item was made in the US, so would I pay customs duty on it? He wants the money before
he ships it. What do you recommend to verify the transaction?

Thanks,
Wes

December 31, 2006 04:26 PM Forum: Refractors

First light test

Posted By Wes Bolin

Did both scopes show the color of the small star? Was the color the same
in both scopes? (On Rigel).

Thanks,
Wes

September 22, 2007 04:12 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Replacement Knobs?

Posted By Wes Bolin

Roger
Have you tried McMaster-Carr ?

Wes

January 14, 2008 03:11 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Best Sci Fi Ever

Posted By Wes Bolin

Dang! I've got to jump in too.
Watched The Thing in my p/u at the drive-in theater & locked the doors.

Watched Alien in an empty theater at 11:00pm and hid in my seat.

Watched Them as a kid and hated ants & spiders ever since.

Watched Tarzan get stuck in a spider web and really hate spiders.

Wes

October 31, 2009 09:58 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

GT carryon case

Posted By Wes Bolin

Hi Robert
Yes, I have taken my GT by air from Texarkana to Maui and return. I do have the ScopeGuard case for protection.

I have a small commuter aircraft from TXK to DFW. My
scope/case passed through TSA with no problems. After
it went through, I removed the objective section, wrapped it in bubble material, and put it im my carry-on bag. The scope case was Valet Checked from TXK to DFW. Everything arrived fine.

Once in DFW, I put the objective section back into the Scopeguard case. The case fit easily overhead in
the large aircraft to Maui.

Returning, I did just the opposite: ScopeGuard case from Maui to DFW. No problems with TSA checking it.
Also had to go through an agriculture X-ray checkpoint. Then in DFW, I took the objective out
and put it in my carry-on bag with the wrap. Back in
TXK I took the Valet Checked case and put the objective section back into it.

I said no problem with TSA at TXK, but they did sniff the package, presumably for explosives. I did
hover next to them to make sure the objective was
kept pristine. They were very friendly and accommodating to me. I don't consider this a problem.

I believe that they see a lot of large camera lense, etc., that its not a surprise to them. In fact, sometimes I say its a very large telephoto lens.

I checked into loss and/or damage for the trip, and ended up carrying an insurance policy on the scope and case for one year. It covers complete replacement cost with no deductible, no matter what
the problem was (ie. even if I drop it). Airline
fine print is loss limited to a couple of hundred dollars. Policy costs about $12 per month, but really gives me peace of mind. BTW I convinced them
to insure the scope for real-world replacement value,
not what it cost from A-P.

Since carry-on and checked baggage weight limits are now strictly imposed, when I put the objective piece in my carry-on bag, I put my binoviewers and finder in the 'hole' in the ScopeGuard case.

I hope this overly long narrative helps answer your question. BTW I must say that the GT at 10,000 feet,
on top of Haleakala gave outstanding views of the
Milky Way highlights. It was so impressive, that even
my wife was overwhelmed (she is OK with me doing Astronomy, but its not her cup of tea). Tonight we are
going to a Halloween costume party and she is going
as "The Milky Way" in her home made costume. Of course I'm the astronomer who likes to gaze at the Milky Way.

Hope you have clear skies when you get where you are wanting to go,

Wes

November 27, 2009 06:26 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Any one try the Baader Binoviewer?

Posted By Wes Bolin

Hi
I own one and like it very much. I use it for high
power planets and Moon, and lower power DSOs. I have the qty 3 Glaspath Correctors for it, and use all of
them depending upon conditions, etc. I am very happy with my Baader MK-V. I have never tried the less
expensive model.

Wes

December 14, 2009 06:35 PM Forum: Refractors

Another Long Focal Length Refrector

Posted By Wes Bolin

That looks too nice to take outside!

Wes

July 26, 2010 10:47 AM Forum: Refractors

Anyone Air-Traveled with a Small Refractor Lately?

Posted By Wes Bolin

Jim
I have an AP130GT and have had similar experience to other Posters. I took mine to Maui in March this year and also last September. I do have the special ScopeGuard case for it. My smaller planes
did not have enough overhead room for the case, so I gate checked it after removing the objective
section and carrying it on the plane.

TSA was very nice about it; I did explain it was a telescope, like a large telephoto lens for a
camera. My case has been swabbed a couple of times, but never around the optics. I am nice to
them and tell them how important the optics are to stay pristine. No problems.

If I have to hand-carry the objective, and the next leg is the larger aircraft, I put it back in
the case in the airport waiting area. I also bubble-wrap eyepieces and my diagonal and place them
in the hollow tube sections in the case. Rings go in checked baggage.

My telescope and case are insured for damage and loss. Airline's liabilities for lost or damaged
baggage should be understood before your trip IMO. Bottom line is that I have had no problems.
Wes