ATWB Customer Gallery

Cocoon Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tom Ifft

July 3, 2002 11:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Differences in nebular filters for high humidity??

Posted By Tom Ifft

Are there noticable differences in nebular filters between companies comparing broadband to broadband, narrow to narrow?
The reason for asking is I live in the Southeast with low elevation, high moisture levels in the atmosphere and light pollution.
I have Meade narrow band, a broad band, and an OIII from someone else. What I need is less filtering as the water vapor seems to erase my views too much when coupled with a filter. Someone carried a "sky glow" filter in the past and curious if that was worth looking into.
Thanks,
Clear skies

July 11, 2002 09:46 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

LPR output star colors

Posted By Tom Ifft

Do all LPR filters change star colors to green? Do any keep close to the original star color?
I have a Meade broadband, Meade Narrowband and Lumicon OIII and all have green stars. I guess I'm just getting lazy in middle age to remove the filters frequently when I'm near colorful stars and nebulae.
Also, does anyone have a good filter for haze coupled with light pollution?
Many thanks.
Tom

August 6, 2002 04:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

solar filter & dovetail for Orion ST 80

Posted By Tom Ifft

I ordered one of these due to the low price. I will use it for viewing the Sun and as a spotting scope on my dob & LX200. Which solar filters would be good for this, considering this is still a "cheap scope". Is the Orion any good? Previously someone discussed the bandwith pass through as a determining factor to see the most. Also, are there any dovetail gizmos I can use to mount to a dob or LX200?
Many thanks
Tom

September 4, 2002 03:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: wait for Discovery scopes

Posted By Tom Ifft

I have a 14 inch I want to sell, but it is very difficult to ship the darn thing. The optics are great. I believe I am the 3rd owner. The Discovery is a great scope.
Tom

October 9, 2002 12:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

October 25, 2002 08:15 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade LX 50, 10 inch

Posted By Tom Ifft

I may take a 10 inch LX 50 plus other stuff in trade for a scope. I will promptly turn around and sell the LX 50. Any ideas of a realistic selling price? I'm told is has only been used twice and was bought about a year ago.
Many thanks
Tom

December 18, 2002 06:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Crayford-type focuser for SCT?

Posted By Tom Ifft

Any opinions on a Crayford-type focuse for a 12" LX200 classic?
I get alot of scope shaking using the standard focuser especially in colder weather when the focuser grease gets stiffer, and when using higher magnifications.
(My scope is on the super wedge, which in my opinion, is wobbly side to side.)
Is a motorized focuser better than a manual? Are there any that plug into the control panel to be operated by the Meade handbox? I have a 2" diagonal that I want to continue using. Would the extra focal length cause any vignetting? JMI seems to make good products. Any other brands? Does Meade plan to make their LX 200 GPS focuser adaptable to the classic LX200?
With mirror flop in mind, no imaging done now, but who knows what the future brings.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Clear skies,

Tom

February 5, 2003 10:41 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where to find EQ "Head" only

Posted By Tom Ifft

For those times I don't want to set up my main scope, I would like to plant a post in my yard for quickie observing with a modest refractor, 5" or less diameter. Can I buy just the EQ portion of the mount without the tripod? A manual verserion is perfectly ok. I would like to bolt it to the post and leave it out all the time. However, it would be nice to remove and put on a tripod for road trips when I don't want to lug out the big scope.
Is this possible? Where would I find one? ANy guesses on cost?
I'm getting lazy in middle age.
Thanks,
Clear skies
Tom

February 13, 2003 04:27 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade LXD 5" vs 6" refractor

Posted By Tom Ifft

I am considering one of these as a planetary scope (in part due to the SCT vs refractor discussion.) Has anyone compared these side by side or has any experiences? Autostar is a non issue, but will get it anyway. Is there a perceivable difference in that extra inch and in the shorter focal ratio? I believe the actual focal length of each is very similar, so any eyepiece will yield nearly the same magnification and image size. Is the extra $210 worth it? Are there other scopes in that price range that seem better? I plan on getting a minus violet filter as well.
Is image brightness an issue?
I am not expecting too much, just a better view than my SCT on some nights.

March 12, 2003 04:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Making a "Televue" type alt-az mount??

Posted By Tom Ifft

I have 2 OTA's: Meade AR6 and Orion 120. Currently I am waiting for a Meade LXD 55 package. Since the wait is getting long, and I am unable to mount these big OTA's on a small tripod, I am itching to try them out. Has anyone made an alt-az mount, similar to the cradle type Televue uses? Or any alt az mount for that matter.
Just need any pointers on the head as I plan on putting a 4x4 post in the ground for support. This just needs to be temporary, until the Meade mount arrives.
Many thanks in advance.
Clear skies, warm nights
Tom