Here's a lovely photo if ya ask me wink

my new 2009 Z06

broose

November 21, 2008 06:51 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Canon 50D at the beach

Posted By Bruce Karbal

taken today with 24-70 L lens at 24 mm

bruce

November 29, 2008 10:00 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

A picture of love :) er Rolliollios masterpieces

Posted By Bruce Karbal

I had the good fortune of obtaining a new A/P 130 Gran Tourismo yesterday, and spent a few hours this morning configuring the dove plates & finder bracket. The finder bracket is mounted on the OTA, a bit inconvenient placement if ya ax me...but anyway...all i need now is a flattener and couple cam adaptors...of COURSE in the nick of time for SNOW/COLD/WINDY city late fall. Cain't wait to hook up some cams

Cheers

bruce

December 25, 2008 07:59 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Wide Field set-up

Posted By Bruce Karbal

I just received an Apogee U 8300 I ordered recently, and plan to use it with my Canon
200F 2 lens. Precise parts made the correct lens to ccd adaptor, I made some losmandy
stuff...to make it easy to install robo set-up in the field, then stash in a case when done. Love the color of the Apogee

Bruce

January 18, 2009 10:36 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

new "power supporter " level suggestion

Posted By Bruce Karbal

i suggested to the owner..starting a new support level
called Power Supporter with it's own new color
OR call it power seller

$ 750 per year for any memebers with OVER 500 transactions
$ 500 per year for any members UNDER 500 transactions

customised astromart supporter icon in the ad announcement line

Unlimited ads for the year
Unlimited auctions for the year
every ad defaults to "featured" ad status

Bruce/Flipper/Garage Dealer

March 22, 2009 08:06 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

The Mach 1 a lil mount that "really can"

Posted By Bruce Karbal

Thought ya'llz might get a kick out of this, I spent last night up by Ft. Sheridan playing with some toys

Believe it or not !! This was "first light" with my Mach 1 & 130 GT and using the Mach 1 was a piece of cake...outtta the box !

I had the 130 GT & flattener, SV 90 T, Canon 200 F2, FLI microline 8300, Starfish guider, Canon 5D mk2 ALLontop of the Mach 1 rings,plates, 50 mm finder, BUNCH of cords & cables HAD to be gettin close to 50 lbs of gear

took 3 18lb weights and the lil weight extension to balance with plenty room to spare

NO PROBLEM slewing, NO PROBLEM guiding, NO problem DAMPING, NO problem BALANCING

30 minute subframes PERFECT lil round stars with 5.4 mike pixels at 800+ mm focal length !!!

significant moment arm

BOY do those motors sound delightful during slew !!!

any of yas that ever "wonder" about the Mach 1 capabilities..... read this again and lookie at the pix

Bruce 8)

March 25, 2009 04:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

FLI Microline8300 the COOLEST !! CCD EVER

Posted By Bruce Karbal

I tried out my FLI ML8300 last weekend and was SHOCKED at how cool this camera can run

The outdoor temp was about 55 F ( 12.7 C ) when I powered up, and it took this lil cam less than 5 minutes to drop down to -40 "only" a 52 degree delta

I have owned FLI max cams, IMG cams, Proline cams, Apogee Alta, many different SBIG, Starlight express

this is THE FIRST and ONLY time I've EVER seen a -40 set point achieved with "no sweat" AND power to spare !!!

I know... I know there are those who say ya don't "need" this kind of deep cooling for CCD imaging

to them I say BS the cooler the chip can run, the cleaner the FITS image is...less dark current !! PERIOD

Say what you will....but here's "the money" picture

broose

March 25, 2009 04:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

FLI ML8300 an AMAZING lil cam Flame

Posted By Bruce Karbal

I tried out my FLI ML8300 last weekend and was SHOCKED at how cool this camera can run
The outdoor temp was about 55 F ( 12.7 C ) when I powered up, and it took this lil cam less than 5 minutes to drop down to -40 "only" a 52 degree delta
I have owned FLI max cams, IMG cams, Proline cams, Apogee Alta, many different SBIG, Starlight express
this is THE FIRST and ONLY time I've EVER seen a -40 set point achieved with "no sweat" AND power to spare !!!
I know there are those who say ya don't "need" this kind of deep cooling for CCD imaging
to them I say BS the cooler the chip can run, the cleaner the FITS image is...less dark current !! PERIOD

Say what you will....but here's "the money" picture
NO darks or flats subtract..NO calibration 3 subs at 30 minutes in HA one sub 15 minutes A/P 130 GT/flattener ML8300 Baader 7nm HA

taken at Ft Sheridan 10 miles north of downtown Chicaga

broose

March 27, 2009 06:00 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

ML 8300 M 101

Posted By Bruce Karbal

This was a sum of 4 frames at 30 minutes each...down & dirty no calibration and I pushed it somewhat... I'll have to reprocess... have some noise issues to overcome

Broose

March 29, 2009 06:32 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

CCD cam cooling ya ever seen a 60 C degree delta?

Posted By Bruce Karbal

I took a few dark frames yesterday...my ML 8300 was in me closet to keep the surroundings dark
Upon power up the ambient temp was 20.1 C er 68.18 F the cam cooled down to -40 inside of 6 minutes errrr -40 in Celsius is also -40 in Fahrenheit

anyone out there have a CCD of ANY BRAND that can top this ? 8O

I doubt it