Mark Killion

The Iris Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jon Isaacs

June 1, 2004 04:46 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Anyone received the 2 inch Diagonal yet.

Posted By Jon Isaacs

I remember seeing that the 2 inch diagonals were supposed to be on their way shortly. Just wondering if anyone has received theirs yet...

jon

July 25, 2004 07:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Eyepiece Eye Relief

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Orthos have short eye relief, for me it is so short that I end up with my eye and eyelashes essentially touching the eyepiece. And the field lens is so tiny, it is difficult to clean. I sold my UO orthos.. I don't wear glasses when observing but I find that longer eye relief is more comfortable.

In my experience the best solution is the twist up eye cups one finds on nearly all Roof Prism Binoculars. With 20mm of eye relief, these allow you to adjust the position of your eye exactly in the right spot, it gives what I (and others) call an "Easy View."

So far, the only eyepieces that I know of that have this feature are the TV Radians. I am surprised that other companies have not picked up on this, its cheap and easy and a big help...

jon

August 4, 2004 04:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

6.5 inch APO ???

Posted By Jon Isaacs

http://www.astromart.com/auctions/details.asp?auction_id=327

Went through this over on S.A.A. Is a reflector an APO??

jon

August 13, 2004 06:53 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Stellar's Jay on a Post

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Hello folks:

I have never posted to this forum before though I have been digiscoping birds for about the last 5 years. I have used a variety of cameras and Scopes, currently I am using a Coolpix 4500, hand held, and a TV Pronto with a 2 inch Everbright diagonal and a 1.25 inch Celestron Plossl with part of the top removed to allow full access.

This photo was taken at the Boulder Oaks campground in Eastern San Diego County over the 4th of July week end. This bird passed by our camping spot and this shot is the only one I got of a Stellar's Jay during that time but everything just clicked. I took over 200 shots those days but this is was the only one of a Stellar's Jay.

I like the way his eye is looking at me.

I have cut the resolution to half to make the file more manageable.

Comments welcome and thanks for taking the time to look at my photo.

Jon Isaacs

August 27, 2004 05:26 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: I found out that the Orion 80mm ED is a Fluori

Posted By Jon Isaacs

I do not believe that FPL-53 is commonly referred to as Fluorite. Apparently its the same glass that AP uses and AP scopes are not considered Fluorite.

If you check out the Orion webpage at www.oriontel.com I think you will find that the ED-100 uses the same FPL-53.

jon

September 4, 2004 03:50 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Anochor Pool on 102F6

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Here's an interesting thread and sadly prophetic thread from the past:

http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=81659&poll_id=&news_id=&page=

Given that the only 102F6's in the hands of the customer were sold "as is", its not clear to me that the anchor has been dropped yet...

But in any event, I can say I was a ways off on my prediction.

Jon

September 28, 2004 10:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Shortening a controller

Posted By Jon Isaacs

>>>How do some of you get responses to your questions? Someone please tell me the secret.

Here is one secret: Make the subject line relevent to the post.

This thread is an example, as far as I can see, "Shortening a controller" has essentially nothing to do with the topic you are interested in.

Regarding your previous questions about a controller for the CG-5 mount, again the subject line was not relevent to your actual wishes.

Apparently you are interested in getting a controller without spending the cash on the motors as well.

For that a subject line like this might be appropriate:

"CG-5 Controller Available Separately?"

Another suggestion is to actually address you problem with as many specifics as possible. That way people can get a handle what the questions are really about and what level of expertise you possess so that they can respond with something relevent.

As far as answering the three questions you originally posted:

1. One does not need a controller to operate a CG-5 mount, it can be done manually with slow motion knobs.

2. The reason they make controllers is to allow hands free motion that tracks relatively well. The one piece drives available for the CG-2 mounts and such have a controller built in.

3. Others have addressed the issue of where to get a controller, you might try a want ad on Astromart.

As Rick has said, the vast majority of folks posting here are knowledgeable and helpful. Clearly stating your problem makes it easy to respond with a helpful reply.

Jon

September 28, 2004 10:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Shortening a controller

Posted By Jon Isaacs

>>>How do some of you get responses to your questions? Someone please tell me the secret.

Here is one secret: Make the subject line relevent to the post.

This thread is an example, as far as I can see, "Shortening a controller" has essentially nothing to do with the topic you are interested in.

Regarding your previous questions about a controller for the CG-5 mount, again the subject line was not relevent to your actual wishes.

Apparently you are interested in getting a controller without spending the cash on the motors as well.

For that a subject line like this might be appropriate:

"CG-5 Controller Available Separately?"

Another suggestion is to actually address you problem with as many specifics as possible. That way people can get a handle what the questions are really about and what level of expertise you possess so that they can respond with something relevent.

As far as answering the three questions you originally posted:

1. One does not need a controller to operate a CG-5 mount, it can be done manually with slow motion knobs.

2. The reason they make controllers is to allow hands free motion that tracks relatively well. The one piece drives available for the CG-2 mounts and such have a controller built in.

3. Others have addressed the issue of where to get a controller, you might try a want ad on Astromart.

As Rick has said, the vast majority of folks posting here are knowledgeable and helpful. Clearly stating your problem makes it easy to respond with a helpful reply.

Jon

September 28, 2004 12:11 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Latest News on the "Semi-APO" ??

Posted By Jon Isaacs

Been looking here for some update on the Semi-APO upgrade for the 102F6 scope but haven't seen anything, anyone have any information???

jon

October 8, 2004 06:41 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Ebay Junk Scopes on Astromart?

Posted By Jon Isaacs

For what its worth:

Check out this ad, there's another one too.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=302701

Looks identical to the 6 inch Ebay reflectors sold as "Black Colored Telescope", "Green Colored Telescope" etc.

A guy who bought one of these described it on S.A.A. as total junk, they are a short tube design with a built-in barlow/corrector to extend the focal length to 1400mm.

Personally I think this guy is probably trying to sell them as a vendor but I don't know....

Best wishes

jon