My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Robert Ficara

November 28, 2002 08:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Goto of Japan Eyepiece indentification help

Posted By Robert Ficara

I recently purchased a 1954 60mm Goto of Japan refractor. I am having trouble indentifying one of the eyepieces and was wondering if anybody out there knows what this is.
All the components seen in the picture connect to each other. All have a lens in them except the second from the left. The top of the eyepiece is marked T30~AH40mm.

March 24, 2003 05:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

To bino-vue or not. Is it just my eyes?

Posted By Robert Ficara

A few years back I acquired a Tak twin-vue binovier to use with my FS 128 I had at the time. I had two sets of Tak LE eyepieces. After one night of viewing I was convinced I was seeing more with monocular vision. I sold the binoviewer shortly thereafter thinking that 5" of apeture was not enough to take advantage of the binoviewer in view of the light loss to each eye. Incidently the only objects I viewed were Jupiter and Saturn.
I wanted to give binoviewing another try so I recently purchased a Tele-View bino-viewer. Using a pair of Pentax ortho's I again came to the same conclusion. I was clearly seeing more planetary detail without the binoviewer. I have no problem merging the image. At times I need to focus each individual eyepiece. The scope in use this time is another high end 5" Apo.
Have others had similar experiences, or am I the only odd ball here?

December 30, 2003 01:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Rust removal from Dec shaft

Posted By Robert Ficara

One of my scope mounts which I keep in a unheated garage developed some rust on the Dec shaft. I removed some of it with a cloth, nylon brush and liquid wrench,( rust penetrater lubricant) but could not remove it all. Any other suggestions aside from very fine steel wool. I once used some rust remover gel on another dec shaft which discolored the shaft. Thanks.

September 15, 2004 02:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Starlight instruments feather touch focusers

Posted By Robert Ficara

Does anyone know if you can purchase focuser extension tubes that screw onto the drawtube? This is to be used on one of the rotating refractor focusers.Does Starlight Instruments offer such a product? I noticed with the 2.7" AP focuser these are available.

October 1, 2004 05:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Takahashi EM-11 mount

Posted By Robert Ficara

Does anybody know when this mount will be available and what the price would be? With the discounts on the EM-10's I am tempted to pull the trigger. Thanks.

October 4, 2004 07:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nikon Ortho's

Posted By Robert Ficara

Can anybody tell me the focal lengths of the Nikon Ortho's that came with the 100mm ED scope?

February 11, 2006 01:31 PM Forum: Takahashi

Mount head screw size

Posted By Robert Ficara

Hi: I just purchased a used EM 10 mount. Can anyone tell me the size screws needed to mount a Tak OTA ring onto the mount head? Thanks.

June 13, 2008 01:34 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Shipping: Air vs Ground

Posted By Robert Ficara

Any benefit between air vs ground shipping from a handling standpoint. I have a high end telescope on the way and need to decide on shipping. I do not care about the time transit or cost difference. I just want it to arrive without damage. Thanks

August 29, 2008 08:11 AM Forum: Takahashi

EM10 USDIII with Temma retro fit or EM11 Temma

Posted By Robert Ficara

Hi,
I currently have a EM-10 USDIII mount supporting a 4" apo. I would like to get a Goto mount. Am I better off getting a Temma 2 jr retro fit for the EM-10 or should I part with the EM-10 and get a EM-11 Temma? Can the new hand held Tak HP controller be used with the retro fit? Any benefits to one vs the other?

September 3, 2009 09:22 AM Forum: Takahashi

Fantastic FC100N

Posted By Robert Ficara

Last night I was treated to some very good seeing here in the Northeast. Jupiter was my only target. I spent about 3 hours viewing the planet. This 4" scope was amazing. If you look at todays thumb nail of Jupiter on Anacortes picture of the day at a distance of 2 feet,it basically is identical to what the view looked like aside from the deeper color saturation in the photo. Approx 10pm EST. I was using my FC100N with a high quality 7mm ortho. I think this is the best 4" scope I have ever used. At some point I will compare this scope to a Nikon 10cm ED