New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Robert Ficara

August 15, 2004 11:04 AM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

CAVE CLASSICAL CASSEGRAIN

Posted By Robert Ficara

Hi Larry:

I had a 10" f/16 Classical cassegrain OTA circa 1968 or 1969 that I picked-up used around 1998. The scope looked like a Cave with hardware similar to previous Caves I owned. Even "smelled" like a Cave. (Something about that interior tube paint). It also had this 4x6 plastic sticker on the side of the OTA that stated. "Cave Optical Company 10" f/16 Cassical Cassegrain" When I removed the mirror for cleaning the original Pancro coating sticker was on the back.Also dated 1968 or 69. I did not see any inscription on the side.I then wondered if it indeed was a Cave mirror. Around the same time Tom Cave had a ad placed in the Starry Messenger. He was selling a old Cave wood tripod. His number was listed with the ad. I called him not to inquire about the tripod but to ask about the abscence of any insciption on the mirror. He he told me that this was not uncommon and that it probably was a Cave mirror. He also went on to tell me that he much preferred the Newtonians.

August 14, 2005 03:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Mars Filters

Posted By Robert Ficara

I have found the Badder Moon and Skyglow filter to work very well for both Mars and Jupiter.

Bob

October 25, 2005 01:32 PM Forum: Reflectors

Parallax

Posted By Robert Ficara

I echo Steve's experience with Parallax. I only have high praise for Joe and his company.

June 12, 2006 06:57 PM Forum: Reflectors

cave 8" F/6 value?

Posted By Robert Ficara

Hi Doug:

Looks like the scope is the Model B lightweight deluxe.
Before replacing the focuser I would give the helical focuser a try. I have had mine on my 6" Model B deluxe for 30 years and never replaced it. One advantage with that focuser was you could easily change it to a low profile focuser allowing you to achieve focus on a 35mm camera without moving up the primary mirror.
In my opinion I would estimate the value once restored to be around $750-$800. Not including the eyeieces. If the eyepieces are the orthostars they can have a value between $75 to $100 each depending on the condition. If they say orthostar on the top then perhaps more. The cave orthoscopic eyepieces from the 70's I believe are the same as the Meade Research grade orthoscopic eyepieces.

February 22, 2012 09:58 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

What are your most unforgettable telescopic sights

Posted By Robert Ficara

Telescope. M13 using my 16" Lightspeed Newt. Reminded me of a disco ball. Saturn under exceptional seeing with a 10" Newt one November night in 2000. The first time I viewed a Ganymede shadow transit over Jupiter. Viewing solar prominences with a doubled stacked solarmax 90 and binoviewer.
Naked eye. A pristine dark sky, Comet West, Comet Hyakutake, pre dawn Venus occultation in ?1976. Venus transit. Here on the east cost the transit was in progress shortly after sunrise. With all the haze your were able to look at the sun naked eye. There it was, a tiny black dot on the eastern edge. Neat perspective

December 22, 2012 02:59 PM Forum: Reflectors

EQUIPMENT DAMAGED IN SHIPMENT PROCEDURE

Posted By Robert Ficara

Make sure you notify the buyer not to discard any packing material. FedEx will likely come out and examine the damage and try to place blame on the packing company. I received a telescope a few years back that I thought was well packed. The scope was packed by a company that then used FedEx to ship out. FedEx did all they could to blame it on the packing company. It's not easy getting reimbursed . The most reliable shipper when it comes to claims is the United States Postal Service. At least in my experience.

February 9, 2013 02:18 PM Forum: Comets

Comet ISON in Gemini

Posted By Robert Ficara

Very nice. Will this comet be favorable for the Northern Hemisphere or will it be best seen in the Southern?

April 19, 2014 03:18 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Protostar-A cautionary tale

Posted By Robert Ficara

I could not agree more. I ordered a curved spider back in August. Paid via Paypal. Delivery time was 6-8 weeks . Well that was 8 months ago. No response to e-mail, phone call or postal mail. This company is a joke. How some major publications allow him to advertise is beyond me.

September 16, 2014 04:13 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Fraud Alert - Protostar

Posted By Robert Ficara

James I also was ripped off. I ordered and paid via paypal a curved spider, secondary holder and mirror in August 2013.Yes August 2013. Cost about $280. I received the diagonal mirror about two months later after a email to inquire but never received the curved spider or holder. No response to any to my emails or postal mail to his PO address.. As you know nobody answers the phone. Stay away from this guy. Your rolling the dice. In my opinion with all the complaints about this guy on the other sites forums I cant understand way some astronomy publications still allow him to advertise.

March 21, 2015 02:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Vernal Equinox 2015

Posted By Robert Ficara

Roland,
Of all the phenomenal photo's you have posted over the years, this is one of my favorites. Just something about it.
Thanks for sharing.