My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Brian Primeau

June 5, 2004 12:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece Advice

Posted By Brian Primeau

What are the best eyepieces to complement an 8" f/4 Schmidt-Newtonian? I know the fast f/ratio is a big factor...

March 11, 2006 10:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: LX200R

Posted By Brian Primeau

I thought these are NOT Schmidt-Cassegrains (SCTs) at all, but are Richey-Chretains. An entirely different optical design.

In *theory*, the RC design yields sharper details than an SCT. I've heard great things about them, but haven't had the chance to check it out side by side with an SCT.

October 22, 2006 11:55 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Assistance w/Andromeda

Posted By Brian Primeau

I'm looking for some tips on photographing M-31, the great galaxy in Andromeda. I'm at the advanced beginner level. I took a number of images last night, but found if I do enough to get the outer areas, the core is overexposed, but if I reduce the exposure times the outer areas don't show at all.

Equipment: Meade 8"/f4 SN reflector on an LXD-75 mount. Meade DSI II Color CCD. Using the supplied Meade Envisage software to capture.

Any tips on gain/offset settings, exposure times, or other ideas? Or can the problem be fixed in post processing?

January 30, 2011 12:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

KAF8300 and Photometry

Posted By Brian Primeau

Has anyone tried to use a monochrome KAF8300-chipped CCD to do photometry? It's ABG, but reputed to have 'good linearity' according to a number of manufacturer's web sites.

I'm stuck in a decision loop between an ST-8XME or an 8300 based CCD. Since it would be on an f/10 12" ACF, I would probably need to bin the 8300, which might cause more problems. Or wait until a decent reducer is produced that doesn't also flatten fields!

Brian.

May 16, 2004 08:15 PM Forum: Meade

NEW MEADE LXD75 SERIES COMING OUT!

Posted By Brian Primeau

I've only seen a post on one store's web site, with little detail; nothing yet on Meade's site.

It's Sunday the 16th...and I ordered a new 8" SN LXD-55 yesterday. GROAN!

May 22, 2004 12:56 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

is SN 10" TO BIG??? LXD75 POST

Posted By Brian Primeau

Aperture Rules....but larger apertures collect light pollution along with what you're looking at. A larger 'signal' but also a corrosponding gain of 'noise'.

A big aperture likes nice, dark sky viewing. If you're fortunate enough for that, woo-hoo!

As for the new tripod....I'm not sure anyone has had a chance to try it yet, so no one can answer the question of whether it's 'sturdy enough' for the 10". It SOUNDS good.....

May 26, 2004 07:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade LPI

Posted By Brian Primeau

I have not tried, but my understanding is that the Meade LPI, being an uncooled CCD, is not recommended for long exposure/faint objects.

Random electrical noise on the CCD chip will be recorded during the exposure, washing out whatever you're looking at. High end CCD's reduce this by cooling the chip while you collect photons. The Meade LIP is really meant for bright objects/short exposures only.

It should work on any telescope that has a 1.25" eyepiece.

June 5, 2004 10:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Size of Telescope Market

Posted By Brian Primeau

Meade Instruments is publicly traded (NASDEQ:MEAD). Go to their web site, navigate to Investor Relations, then have a read of their latest SEC filings and their annual report. They talk all about the market - including their market share. In FY 2003, that was over $110 million (page 12 of latest annual report)...so I think the estimate of $10 million is a little conservative.

What really surprised me was to read that the Meade 'advanced' telescopes amount to only 3% of what they ship! (see page 5 of the latest annual report)

June 19, 2004 01:22 PM Forum: Meade

Who has ordered an LXD75?

Posted By Brian Primeau

I ordered an LXD-55 8" SN with UHTC on Saturday, May 15....and news of the -75 got out on the the 17th!

I left voice mail with my dealer and also with Meade customer service, asking about delivery dates and the possibility of switching. Within two days my dealer and Meade had both talked to me, to each other, and got my order swtiched to the LXD-75. Very nice service!

I'm also waiting, but not so patiently! grin

July 8, 2004 07:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Stargazing weather forecast? Is there such a thing

Posted By Brian Primeau

Try Intellicast - under activities in the upper right corner, pick "STARGAZE" and enter your ZIP code.

The site is www.intellicast.com

Clear skies!

Brian