My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jason Freeland

February 10, 2005 03:10 PM Forum: APM

553mm Apo?

Posted By Jason Freeland

So out of curiosity, how much does one of those beasts go for? Is there a commercial mount that could hold it?

April 7, 2005 11:02 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Guidescope and Autoguiding Question

Posted By Jason Freeland

I've been searching for information on just what size guidescope is needed with modern CCD guiders. Everything I run across talks about double the focal length for visual guiding. Then I look at SBIGs website and see the e-finder for the STV. It certainly doesn't follow that rule. What I'm trying to do is this. I have a Vixen VC200L and a Celestron AS-GT, both "supercharged" by Dr Clay. I want to use my unmodified 300D for up to several minutes exposures. I can't fit much of a guidescope on that OTA mount combo, so I'm looking at options. Ideal would be the Atik line of B&W cameras or the new DSI Pro, but what about an LPI? What is the minimum focal length and aperture guidescope I could get away with? I'm guessing guide camera exposures should be kept under 5 seconds or so. Any suggestions?

Vixen VC200L: 200mm aperture, 1800mm fl f9

June 18, 2005 07:22 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Is There Such Thing As Simple LRGB Processing?

Posted By Jason Freeland

I know the answer to the above question is probably no, but I'm in need of some. My wife bought me some time on Rentascope for fathers day, and I need to process the images. What deep sky work I'll be doing after the three hours is up, will be via digital rebel. I don't want to invest more than the telescope time cost, just to process the images. Is there anything out there really simple? I looked at IRIS and Pixinsight LE, but the manuals make my head ache. An example luminance of what I have so far, is attatched (resized, levels adjusted, and converted to jpeg).

July 20, 2005 12:15 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 7/20/05

Posted By Jason Freeland

Mars from my driveway this morning. VC200L at f18 on AS-GT mount, with a QC4000. Both images 1000 out of 1500 or so frames, from different avis, in KC3CCD. I still can't seem to make myself set the gama high enough on capture. I had to crank it up post processing. The laptop screen makes things look washed out compared to my CRT. Hopefully next time I'll remember.

July 29, 2005 08:44 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars 7/29/05

Posted By Jason Freeland

Well, I'm improving at least.

VC200L 3600mm f18

5400mm f36

August 31, 2005 06:12 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Focusing Method Poll

Posted By Jason Freeland

So I have decided I need to get back to basics and examine how I'm focusing my images. For planetary I use a home made Hartman mask, but it seems to have a fairly wide focus range where the dots converge. I saw a post on CN about using slits or triangles instead of round holes I might try, but what else is there? Is it possible to make a knife edge or rhonchi grating for my logitech QC4000? I'd like to be able to know without a doubt I'm in focus. What methods are everyone using?

November 9, 2006 05:31 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My CF C8 and AT66ED

Posted By Jason Freeland

My recently purchased carbon fiber (fastar compatible) C8 and an Astronomy Technologies AT66ED for a finder/widefield/guidescop. Mount is my AS-GT

November 24, 2006 02:09 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

C8 Imaging Circle?

Posted By Jason Freeland

Anyone know what the usable imaging circle of a C8 is with and without a 6.3 reducer? I got answers of a full circle of 2.75" and 1.7" respectively on another forum but that wasn't usable imaging circle (it still seems a little large even if it's all the way to zero illumination). Just trying to plan future camera purchases and seeing how my 300D will do for it.

June 11, 2005 10:38 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

(OT) Heads Up on Comet K2 LINEAR

Posted By Jason Freeland

Looking at an orbit viewer, it will be closest to us in September. I'm not entirely sure how to tell when the best viewing or imaging time will be off that. Any idea?

Actually looking at the orbit viewer I have no idea when it will be closest. It really doesn't give a good enough view to tell.

July 20, 2006 12:47 AM Forum: Refractors

21 inch APO - any idea what it might cost?

Posted By Jason Freeland

I asked once in this thread

http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=300479&poll_id=&news_id=&page=

Russ Swaney said:

Check out this classified
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=441407

Any idea what just the lens and cell assembly would be worth?
I can't imagine the mount you would need.