My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Randy Roy

September 23, 2003 01:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

SCT laser collimators

Posted By Randy Roy

I've used this many times over the years on C8's and a C11. IMO, it's good for checking your alignment, but I always seemed to tweak the collimation on a star anyway. I also found the best way to get the initial alignment was to collimate the SCT at high power (>300X) on a star and then see where the beam returns on the face of the collimator, marking that spot with the white dot.

At the end of the day, I think collimating to a real star is the best and so only use my laser to check alignment on my newt.

Randy

December 9, 2003 10:25 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Who is who

Posted By Randy Roy

Mike,

Actually, I'm not quite sure myself who is who, which is which, and whom is whom. I was just giving you some old fashioned geegawing and all in fun.

Randy

December 10, 2003 11:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Why so many AT1010's for sale?

Posted By Randy Roy

I replaced mine with a Stellarvue 85S APO. Outstanding scope!

Randy

December 15, 2003 11:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sit on what ?

Posted By Randy Roy

I have the Starbound chair and use it with my N8GPS and 85mm APO. For the 16" Starmaster, I mostly stand.

It's a little pricey, but works great.

Randy

December 18, 2003 05:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who Invented the "Newtonian Reflecting" Telescope?

Posted By Randy Roy

I thought Rick Singmaster invented the Newtonian. Perhaps he just perfected it.

Randy--heh, heh

December 19, 2003 10:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Teegul(Lapides) Mounting Capacity?

Posted By Randy Roy

Hi Paul,

I've had one of these mounts a couple of months now and really like it with my 85mm F6.9 APO. In fact, I think it is by far the most elegant alt az solution for a small scope by a big margin. That said, I'm quite confident that it would handle a 4" APO (say up to F8 or so) with no sweat, but I would be very leery of putting more than that on it. I'm not sure what the weight capacity is, but with scope, 2" diagonal, clamshell, 26mm Nagler and the A-P dovetail plate, I'm hitting up around 11 lbs with no flexure, problems with the clutches, balance, etc.

Hope this helps.

Randy

January 9, 2004 02:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Obsession or Starmaster

Posted By Randy Roy

I would love to have a house-full of oak furniture of the quality of Starmaster scopes :>).

Randy

January 14, 2004 01:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Televue SCT adaptor. Is it firm and tight?

Posted By Randy Roy

Vincent,

I find the "newer" TV adapter (compression ring style) to be even better at clamping down than the screw on type of diagonal. What I mean is the screw on type can have a tendency, if you don't tighten it enough, to unscrew if the OTA is tilted down toward the left and if you have a heavy enough load. Of course this doesn't happen with an alt-az, but does with a GEM. I highly recommend either the Televue or the Astro-Physics model. I use the Televue "Short" adapter with a 2" "Short" Everbright. Clearance is never a problem for me on my N8GPS.

Randy

January 14, 2004 07:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

January 15, 2004 04:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

what type of equipment is this?

Posted By Randy Roy

Beagle 2 prototype?