New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Randy Roy

June 14, 2004 10:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

FS 78 and CG5

Posted By Randy Roy

Mike,

IIRC the Vixen dovetail plate has two recessed circles on the underneath of the plate. These can be drilled and tapped to fit a Takahashi Ring perfectly. Just turn the plate over, find the recesses and tap for the same size/thread screw that comes with the Tak ring. It should take all of 15 minutes to complete assuming you have the drill, bits and tap.

At least that is the way I've seen it done.

Best wishes,

Randy

July 7, 2004 11:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How to use a straight finder scope

Posted By Randy Roy

I've noticed most "serious" scopes use straight-thru finders. Most "serious" observers do too.

Seriously. . .nah. . .

Randy wink

August 20, 2004 10:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

gps vs. equatorial mount

Posted By Randy Roy

I think the AS mount is a vast improvement over the older CG-5 and the price is very tempting. You will pay about twice as much for a Nexstar 8 GPS on a decent wedge (if you want to to some AP/imaging--I use the APT astro) than you will for the AS mount, but IMO, you will get a lot more mount.

I might agree with the earlier response, if you were considering the fork mount vs the CGE mount, but IMO, the fork mount beats the AS mount in every important dimension except price.

Best wishes with your decision.

Randy

August 21, 2004 09:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

1.25" Coma Correctors?

Posted By Randy Roy

Try calling Denkmeier. Their 1.25" newtonina OCS should work well as a coma corrector. I used their 2" OCS with my dob and it worked great. I'm not sure which adapters you would need, but Denkmeier should be able to help you with this.

Best wishes,

Randy

August 28, 2004 12:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How far will you go for dark skies?

Posted By Randy Roy

My NS9.25 on a set of wheeley bars in my driveway works for me most nights. I think nothing of driving 50-150 miles on weekends where I can find dark skies worthy of my 16" dob.

Randy

August 29, 2004 12:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which Would You Choose?

Posted By Randy Roy

Dave,

The obvious answer is the larger aperture, but I have to ask you whether you are really trying to help this guy or "defend your honor" or what? I've seen this posted on several groups now which makes it appear a little over the top to me. If you are using this method to get the message to the guy, I doubt that he will get it.

Your previous postings and contributions prove that you are a credible and knowledgeable amateur astronomer.

Sometimes, knowing you are right should be enough.

Randy

August 30, 2004 11:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nexstar GPS or LX200 GPS

Posted By Randy Roy

I've owned the Nexstar 11GPS and then the Nexstar 8GPS and now the Nexstar 9.25GPS. I traded the first two for more expensive scopes and received the 9.25 from someone locally who wanted my TV85 more than the unused 9.25. I've also owned other Celestron and Meade products. I agree with the poster who said it's like Ford and Chevy. If you are a Meade guy, you will probably prefer Meades, if like me, you are a Celestron guy, you will prefer Celestrons. That said, all my Nexstars have worked great, are very user friendly with a minimum learning curve and have all had very good optics. Celestron does not have the quality of Takahashi, the optics of Carl Zambuto or the service of Rick Singmaster (Starmaster) but they are pretty darned good. The Nexstar GPSs are really fun to use and my Nexstars are always a hit at public observing sessions.

Best wishes with your selection. You will probably be happy either way.

Randy--Ok,the truth. Get the Nexstar 8GPS. It is so darned cool!!!

September 6, 2004 03:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

One - all purpose filter!

Posted By Randy Roy

The UHC helps on a somewhat larger number of objects than the OIII since the UHC passes light in both the OIII and H-beta bands. That said, objects with a very strong OIII response will show better with an OIII filter (e.g., the Helix). Objects with a strong H-beta line show better in the UHC.

All that said, I generally prefer the views with the OIII through my larger scopes and use an H beta filter for appropriate objects (Horsehead and California nebs.) and prefer the UHC with my 3" APO.

Still, if I could only have one neb filter, it would be a UHC.

Randy

September 8, 2004 05:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

opinions on C925 collinination

Posted By Randy Roy

Did you eliminate your diagonal being the problem?

Randy

September 20, 2004 06:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

From a C9.25 to a . . .??

Posted By Randy Roy

I would definitely consider a Nexstar 8GPS or an LX90. They are much more portable than your setup and offer the convenience of Goto. I think they are both great general purpose scopes for visual use and neither would take over a few minutes to haul out and setup.

Randy