My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Schermeister

August 2, 2004 01:58 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Spitz Moonscope

Posted By John Schermeister

I'm new to this site, and have been enjoying the comments, so I thought I'd send one out just for fun. Recently I got a Spitz Moonscope (just because it was there...)and of course the optics need to be redone. Does anyone do this on such a small scale? The primary is 3" by about 19" f.l., and the secondary about 1x1. I know fixing this scope might sound absurd, but sometimes I like to back up & do something like this. Any thoughts?
A little background. My first telescope was a Jaegers 4 1/4" kit I ground in 1967. Still have it. In '85 I got a Questar. Still have it. An Odessey 13.1 came and went as I ran out of room. Now I'm lusting after a Hardin 10". I also built a camera obscura, etc.
Oh, yes. The 4 1/4" needs refinishing too. grin

August 31, 2004 09:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who the heck was Sam Brown (Edmund Scientific)?

Posted By John Schermeister

Doug-
I don't know who Sam Brown was, but I still refer to his books to this day.
All About Telescopes inspired and guided my first telescope project about 1967. Later I got Fun With Optics and built a camera obscura. And what great fun going over those other projects and building them, at least in my imagination! Tons of practical know how about telescopes and many other optical devices.
I wonder how many others have worked with and enjoyed these books?
Thanks Sam Brown!
John grin