Posts Made By: Joseph Edwards

July 29, 2005 03:20 PM Forum: Reflectors

Truss Dob Manufacturers and Apeture Fever

Posted By Joseph Edwards

Thanks everyone.

In addition to the ones you recommended I also added Starsplitter to my list as well. Now I'm busy trying to figure out what my Christmas present from the wife is going to be. wink

September 23, 2005 02:06 AM Forum: Star Parties

Astrofest Report - Long

Posted By Joseph Edwards

Don,

I'm a"newbie" as far as Star Parties go, so take my comments with a grain of salt. In the last three years, I've managed to go to Kankakee, the Indiana Star Party near Lafayette, and IDSSP at Jim Edgar Panther Creek Park. Of the 3, IDSSP had the darkest skies that I've seen in a while. Springfield doesn't interfere at all. Astrofest seemed way too commercial/vendor oriented and not neary focused enough of observing. Plus, the crew at SAS were very welcoming and friendly to this rank amateur. The speakers and other events were pretty low key,but for sheer enjoyment, it was the best time I could ever have.

November 8, 2005 09:20 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Recommendation for EPs for C8

Posted By Joseph Edwards

If you are looking for intermediate price EP's that have decent FOV, then I'd recommend either the Meade QX series or the Orion Stratus EP's.

They don't quite match up with the TV's, but are roughly 1/2 the price.

One of the biggest struggles I had with the 8" SCT was trying to get a wider field. The Focal Reducer helps a lot, but even then, you'll find yourself wanting the widest possible FOV that you can get.

The TV Panoptics are really premium EP's and do a great job in an 8". I've tried the 19 Panoptic in my scope, and it really does perform well, but for the price, I was just as happy with my 21mm Orion.