My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dave budlong

February 8, 2005 04:19 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Winter In Washington

Posted By Dave budlong

For those of you who might be unaware of the lovely viewing conditions we have in the NW, its normally raining right about this time of year. That is the qualifying statement for the rest of my post.
About a week ago we got a new bigger scope, a 12 inch Orion, prior to that the 10 was our big scope. We live in town with a large store to the south of us. So now you have the facts of external circumstances that we work against, typically little time in the winter to observe and suburban light pollution. That being said I had never seen the Eskimo Nebula from the house, and its rarely worth driving somewhere else and risking the rain, so after getting the new scope it took a few days but we got one of those rare winter nights that are clear and that is not during full moon. Oh by the way we do get clear nights several times per winter they just all end up being within two days of full moon. I digress, so here I am out with 12 inch under the streetlight knowing full well that Saturn is a great starting point(of reference) to look for the Eskimo. So I begin to figure out where in relation to Saturn I need to point the scope, after about 15 or 20 minutes I have it, I have double checked the chart and triple checked the Sky software that came with the scope. At this point I start to zero in on it, Ok if the telrad is here in relation to Saturn than the Eskimo should be here... no... OK down and towards me a little....no, hmmm...OK push the scope east a little,DARN where is this thing.
"What are you looking for?" says my lovely wife of 10 years.
"It's a planetary Nebula in Gemini called the Eskimo, real pain in the backside so far." says I.
"What is it by?" says SWMBO(she who must be obeyed)
"Well according to the chart is by that star(DUMMIE IN DRIVEWAY POINTING UP TO THE EAST)and south of Saturn."says Dummie.
"Here let me try." says her sweetly.
So in we go looking at the chart and the software and me complaining and assuring her that this is no piece of cake. Then out we go into the cold dark driveway.
"Is this it?" she asked, (and while it was dark and I love her with all my heart I know she was) smiling smugly.
"Yes thats it." I grumbled. " I am cold, I'm going in the house."

With Valentines Day coming Up I just wanted say spend some time with the one you love doing something that you love.+

February 27, 2005 01:51 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

S&T page 18

Posted By Dave budlong

OK for lack of a better place to post this, I am doing it here. On page 18 of the April 2005 S&T there is an article on the volcanoes of mars. I would ask you to look at this article and more importantly the images and the dating images. Does anyone else see anything strange there?

March 2, 2005 08:33 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Canon EOS Digital rebel

Posted By Dave budlong

I have noticed that these are now considerably cheaper than when first marketed. Now marketed on other internet sites for $550 with lens. I have seen these sell for close to $1000 on Astromart. Is this still a good choice even with upcoming newer editions on the way.

March 22, 2005 09:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

EQ Limericks

Posted By Dave budlong

Here are a couple that mention my favorite pieces of EQUIPMENT.

My buddy was out with my scope
In the dark he would fumble and grope
When he did find the lens
He tried the wrong end
It's a Newtonian scope you big dope

Out under the sky I am lost
So you know I would pay any cost
The Telrad's my friend
It helps me to fend
But it sucks when it's covered with frost

Televue has built quite a line
Of eyepieces that are divine
no better it's true
when their covered with dew
Than the sun shining off my behind

May 3, 2005 06:13 AM Forum: After Dark

Fleas of the world step up

Posted By Dave budlong

Just a silly observation but, there are 4 Dave's moderating forums and 3 Don's. After a quick check of user profiles there are 1366 Daves or Davids registered at Amart and only 336 Dons or Donalds. What is the matter with you Dave or David as the case may be? We are fleas of the world, we should be everywhere. (obscure reference to Randy of the Redwoods MTV circa mid 80's)

Signed Dave (16th generation Flea on the Brown Dog in Washington) Budlong 8)

May 4, 2005 07:47 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Just a quick poll.

Posted By Dave budlong

What did you get for your first real Astro scope? What I mean by real is the first scope that you got that you really attribute to your current interest in Astronomy. grin

May 5, 2005 02:02 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Welcome Jon

Posted By Dave budlong

I should have posted this yesterday when Jon came on as the other moderator for this forum, but I was in and out of here and not thinking. I really would like to thank him for agreeing to Co-moderate the forum I think it would be good for everybody. He and I see eye to eye on some things and have a different take on others. It is my belief that two perspectives will benefit the group as a whole, because I tend to go with what I know. His experience in astronomy will be different than mine thereby giving a broader spectrum of knowledge to draw from. Thanks again Jon. 8)

May 7, 2005 09:05 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Stealing an Idea(OK borrowing a good one)

Posted By Dave budlong

Down in the CCD forum they are setting up targets for the month, I think that is a great Idea so I am commandeering it sort of.

The twist is that they need to be good starter objects and at the same time a challenge for us to observe. I was thinking maybe about setting 9 Messiers and a couple of Lunar objects a month so that on completion of a year of observing everyone who keeps a log book and is in a Club can turn in their Messier Certificate as well as their Lunar Certificate. Just an idea, putting it out for feedback.

May 8, 2005 07:13 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

The Lunar List

Posted By Dave budlong

Here we go first lets start with the Naked Eye object. Maria Crisium, next we move on to the Binoculars,
#1 bino Object,Lunar Rays
#2 bino object, Crater Langrenus (4 Day old Moon)
#3 bino Object, Crater Piccolomini (7 Day old Moon)
#4 bino object, Crater Plato (10 day old moon)
Now on to the Telescopic Objects,
#1 Sinus Aestuum
#2 Crater Picard(4 day old moon)
#3 Crater Plinius (7 day old moon)
#4 Crater Davy (10 day old moon)
#5 Crater Shickard (14 day old moon)

The above list is to get us started towards the completion of the Astronomical League's Lunar Observers Club, if you are a member of a club that is a member society you can keep a good log of your observations and turn them in to obtain your certificate. If you are not a member of a club or a member society you can join the A.L. as a member at large. Thanks for playing along and I wish you all good luck and clear skies. grin

May 8, 2005 07:45 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Mays Messiers

Posted By Dave budlong

Lets start out with the following 9 objects, I hope to make this fun and interesting for everybody to do.
#1 M104 The Sombrero Galaxy, this is a brighter galaxy but a fun one to find.
#2 M3 This Globular cluster is possible in Binoculars. Give it a try if your skies are sort of dark.
#3 M53 Its not quite as bright as M3 but its still a nice globular.
#4 M64 Here is another Galaxy and we are staying out of the groupings this is still down by them.
#5 M68 This is the toughest globular for the month, its bright enough but smallish.
#6 M81 OK so I am giving out a pair of galaxies this month, and that is technically a group but, its a bright group of two.
#7 M82 OK here is the other member of the above pair, they can be fit into the same widefield view.
#8 M101 High over head up in Ursa Major we found the last 2 galaxies and thats where we will find this large face on spiral galxy as well.
Finally this month's challenge object
#9 M97 This is the only object on this months list that I have not seen in Binoculars. Its the smallest object on this months list and the dimmest. You got to want it.
If I can do anything to help, just ask. Clear Skies and Happy Hunting.