Posts Made By: Dave budlong

June 1, 2005 04:59 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Evolution of the astronomer

Posted By Dave budlong

To be 100% honest money is the #1 reason, I would like to get into astrphoto as well as the visual astronomy I already do. The thing is I want to do it correctly, and while I realize that I can get into it realistically for under $1500, I decided to use my money to buy a bigger Dob. I did get a Canon XT this year so that is one step in the direction of astrophoto, but it was more important to me to get the bigger Dob than an SCT or Refractor that I could image with. I will get the most bang for my buck that way. My next scope however is likely to be purchased with imaging in mind though. 8)

June 11, 2005 02:15 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Stars

Posted By Dave budlong

Hey Rick, there are many examples of multiple star systems in the sky. Alpha Centauri is the closest one to us and it has 3 stars in it.

June 11, 2005 06:05 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

My first scope.. HELP

Posted By Dave budlong

Its not a bad scope however you can get more bang for your buck right here on Amart. There is an 8" dob for sale right now in the reflectors ads for only 30 dollars more than you are talking about. That might be a better scope for you. Even if you do not want that one you can sit on your cash for 2 weeks and something else in your budget range might come up. Dob's are great first scopes and aperture is king. Just MO. wink

June 22, 2005 06:01 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

What's the best I can do with...?

Posted By Dave budlong

Your asking in a strictly photographic capacity, correct?

June 29, 2005 02:59 PM Forum: After Dark

You know it is a dark sky site when.........

Posted By Dave budlong

I have not seen M81 naked eye yet, but the double cluster is readily visible from my in-laws back deck. They live about 35 miles to the south of me. Its not Table Mountain or The OSP site out of Prineville, but they have a new 2500 foot home with all the comforts and my father in-law is interested in astronomy to the point that he would love for me to build an Observatory down there. Its just a matter of selling my wife on the idea that we should spend weekends at her parents house. wink

June 29, 2005 03:42 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Gluing glass chips

Posted By Dave budlong

Ouch, I have done that with a nice set of Celestron binoculars. They are now relegated to day time use only, I get funny results at night, but they are fine for looking at birds. I am the worlds biggest walking accident, so I just wanted you to know you are not alone, good luck with the fix it. My guess is that your idea about blackening the chip would work the best if you can get it all without getting more of the plate than need be. That sounds tricky though.

July 13, 2005 04:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Shrinking a Telrad (long brainstorm)

Posted By Dave budlong

Your Idea seems sound to me, and my #1 favorite adhesive is EPOXY, it will glue stink on a rose, and every thing else for that matter.

July 13, 2005 04:50 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Well, another casse of Velvetitis

Posted By Dave budlong

Where are the dingle berries and the swaying hula girl? Just kidding it does look really nice.

July 13, 2005 05:01 AM Forum: Reflectors

How about this for a thread.

Posted By Dave budlong

Aperture, Cost, Optics, Motion, Customer Service from either dealer or manufacturer, Tube(this is a set up and transportation thing) I am all about bang for my buck, I have way to many things I want to spend money on and way to little of it to spend. Sailing, Astronomy, and Photography, are all hobbies that you can go broke doing and I am silly enough to love all 3. So I want to try to maximize for what I can do. We bought the Canon Digital Rebel XT because it was a compromise for Astro and Photo. I try to take that approach in all of our hobbies.

July 18, 2005 05:28 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Meade Blue

Posted By Dave budlong

http://www.weasner.com/etx/techtips/paint.html
There is a link that might help.