My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bill Possel

April 9, 2002 05:56 AM Forum: Takahashi

Best eyepiece for binoviewer

Posted By Bill Possel

Any opinions on which is a better eyepiece for a binoviewer: Takahashi LEs or orthos? My scope has a long focal length so I'm looking around an 18mm fl eyepiece. My main interest is planetary but I do wear glasses so I need some eye relief.

Thanks,
Bill

May 2, 2005 04:34 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Europa Transit last night?

Posted By Bill Possel

Its either been cloudy, raining and snowing in Colorado for the past week. Haven't seen stars for a long time! I was hoping someone who had clear skies observed Jupiter and saw the Europa transit last night. Any reports or drawings?

Thanks
Bill

May 2, 2005 09:13 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter May 2 2005

Posted By Bill Possel

We finally had a few hours of partly cloudy skies. Of course, it didn't last but some is better than none. The seeing was very good. I observed Jupiter from around 0200 to 0300 UT (3 May). Io was getting ready to enter occultation behind Jupiter. The dark blue festoons in the NEB were bright and detailed. Anyone make a drawing tonight?

Thanks
Bill

May 4, 2005 04:38 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter May 3, 2005

Posted By Bill Possel

We had passing clouds early in the evening which hindered viewing most of Io's transit. When it was clear though, the seeing was pretty good. At about 0240Z, 4 May, Io was clearly visible as a bright, white ball near the edge of the NEB with the shadow about 3 moon-distances away. There was also a white rift on the south side of the NEB with a dark reddish feature (barge maybe?) touching the rift. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks
Bill

May 20, 2005 05:48 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter and the Moon

Posted By Bill Possel

Last night was really nice view of Jupiter and the moon. Check out Stefan Seip's pictures on the CCD forum. Anyone else catch it?

Bill

May 21, 2005 09:35 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Stars surrounding Jupiter

Posted By Bill Possel

I had decent views of Jupiter tonight in the 20". The moons were distinct disks and there was lots of detail in the bands. There were also about 7 stars surrounding Jupiter and its moons in about 1/4 degree field of view.

June 1, 2005 04:38 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Last night's Ganymede Transit

Posted By Bill Possel

Last night I observed part of the Ganymede transit. The seeing here was fair to poor but I could clearly see the large dark spot go across. Did anyone else see it? Any drawings or photos? It always amazes me how fast Jupiter rotates!

Clear skies
Bill

August 7, 2005 08:42 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Venus and One Day Old moon

Posted By Bill Possel

Anyone catch the one day old moon? We had a beautiful sunset in the Pawnee Grasslands with Venus and the sliver of a Moon.

Bill

February 4, 2006 05:17 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Faint Star near Callisto

Posted By Bill Possel

We had poor seeing and some clouds but I still went out to look at Jupiter. Did anyone else notice a faint star very close to Callisto?

Thanks
Bill

October 12, 2006 05:00 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

New Cassini Photo of Saturn

Posted By Bill Possel

In case you haven't seen this incredible view of Saturn yet. This is a composite of 165 pictures taken September 15 by the wide angle camera aboard the Cassini spacecraft while the Sun was occulted by Saturn. The rings are illuminated from below. If you zoom in you can see Earth as a small dot on the left side of the image by the brighter part of the rings.

Thanks
Bill