Posts Made By: Bill Possel

May 26, 2007 01:30 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Pretty Sparrow - But What Kind?

Posted By Bill Possel

I just can't tell what type of sparrow this is. It has center dark spot and a slight yellow patch down the middle of the breast. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Bill

May 19, 2009 06:49 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Email - Not Again!

Posted By Bill Possel

Well, it's going around again this year. The email/powerpoint presentation that Mars will be "spectacular" in August. Something about Mars appearing to be the size of the Moon. "Closest approach in recorded history!" Has anyone else seen this? Where does this originate?

Thanks
Bill

August 13, 2009 05:11 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

GT130 on Teegul?

Posted By Bill Possel

Hi,

Has anyone tried the GT130 on a Takahashi Lapides-modified Teegul for low power observations?

Thanks
Bill

March 20, 2010 12:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion Sirius database question

Posted By Bill Possel

I'm getting the Orion Sirius EQ-G mount soon. It has a database of 42,900 objects. I know it has the NGC and IC catalog plus others. Does anyone know where I can find exactly what is in this database? Is the database available in a spreadsheet format?

Thanks
Bill

May 26, 2003 03:15 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

planetary viewing scopes

Posted By Bill Possel

Rob,

It really depends on your seeing conditions. Living in the foothills near Denver, I've found that my 130 consistently gives me better views than my previous 12.5". Yes, when seeing is really good, aperture wins. But when the seeing is only fair (about 90% of the time), the 130 is a winner. Also, the cooldown is faster with the refractor.

BTW, if you're selling your EDT please let me know!

Thanks,
Bill

November 16, 2003 12:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Any Observers Had Laser Eye Surgery?

Posted By Bill Possel

Tom

I had PRK a year ago. My vision went from 20/400 to 20/15. Its certainly wonderful not to bother with glasses. No halos or ghosts. On the down side, I noticed a slight degradation in my night vision. I have an Astrosystems adjustable red light and find I need it brighter than I used to before surgery to read star charts.

Its a huge decision and I agonized over it for a year. I highly recommend you go with the latest equipment and the doctor who has the best track record. Its too critical to go with the low bidder!

Bill

May 23, 2004 11:49 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Moving a big dob/storing in garage

Posted By Bill Possel

Harry

I keep my 20" Starmaster completely assembled in the garage. When not in use, it's covered with an Astrosystems scope cover. The scope has a locking bolt to keep it pointed at about 45 degrees. I can then move it from the garage to the backyard (over grass and bark ground cover) with the wheelbarrow handles. I'm not sure if other dob manufacturers have a similar setup that makes wheeling the scope in one piece so easy!

Thanks
Bill

June 30, 2004 03:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Observatories around Denver

Posted By Bill Possel

Mike

A very historic one is the Chamberlin Observatory near Denver University. Check the Denver Astronomical Society website for description and directions. Another good place to visit is the Fiske Planetarium and observatory at CU Boulder.

An excellent local store is S&S Optika at Broadway and Bellvue. They have a fantastic staff!

Have fun!
Bill

January 4, 2005 11:50 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Storage of a Reflector?

Posted By Bill Possel

Hi Glen

I store my dob in the garage also. I keep it set up and covered with an Astrosystems scope cover. This drives my wife nuts (among many other things!), but I allow only one car in our two car garage. My scope needs plenty of room! Keeping the scope in the garage really helps the cooldown time when bringing out in cold weather.

April 5, 2005 11:30 AM Forum: Maksutovs

TEC 200 15.5

Posted By Bill Possel

Steve

I owned one for about a year. Its a beautiful, well made scope that will give refractor-like views of planets. The deep sky views were exceptional for an 8 inch also. The only downside was that I didn't like waiting for it to cool down. I live in Colorado where the temperature drops rapidly all night. The internal fan helps but couldn't keep up on those cold winter nights. Collimation was perfect even after shipping.
Thanks
Bill