Posts Made By: Bill Possel

July 3, 2005 08:23 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars 07.03.05

Posted By Bill Possel

Hi Sol

Very nice drawing! I got up early this morning to observe it also but the seeing here was poor. I'm looking forward to more of your drawings!

Thanks
Bill

July 9, 2005 01:36 PM Forum: Reflectors

How about this for a thread.

Posted By Bill Possel

Floyd

Good idea for a thread! My list is almost the same. I agree that optics are #1. For me, #2 is assembly time. Since I enjoy viewing in the backyard, I like the idea of keeping a scope assembled in the garage and easily move it into position. I've had numerous other scopes, but found the 20" I have now to be one of the fastest/easiest to set up. I leave the scope assembled, wheel it into the back, bring the step stool, charts and eyepieces and I'm ready to go. I've had smaller scopes (with eq mounts) that took more trips back and forth - scope, mount, counterweights. Also, the 20" brings in faint objects despite the light pollution. I've been observing globular clusters in the south looking directly towards moderate city lights. Not as spectacular as dark skies but I see them.
The other factors are important also. Its interesting though that I got by without go-to for 35 years+ and now I couldn't live without it! I'd place that a bit higher wink

Thanks
Bill

July 9, 2005 06:41 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars July 9th 2005

Posted By Bill Possel

Wes

Quite an amazing photo! Its especially impressive since we're a few months from Mars at it's closest.

Thanks
Bill

July 10, 2005 07:13 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Recent Tempel Observations?

Posted By Bill Possel

Hi Jim

I observed the comet at a fairly dark site about a week ago with my 20". It looked like a large, dim, face-on galaxy. My friend with a 12.5" couldn't see it. This one isn't easy!

Clear skies
Bill

July 17, 2005 12:31 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M51 Supernova Visual observation

Posted By Bill Possel

Hi Michael

Thanks for the report. I've seen it with my 20" Starmaster in fairly dark skies. There are a few foreground stars which make it a bit tricky to identify the correct star. But with the links you provided it should be easy for anyone to confirm which is the supernova.

Bill

July 21, 2005 11:35 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Observation (July 18, 2005)

Posted By Bill Possel

Carlos

Nice to have you back! Another very fine drawing!

Thanks
Bill

July 30, 2005 12:58 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Re: Sedna II?

Posted By Bill Possel

Maybe its another target for the New Horizons spacecraft to fly past after it visits Pluto? This mission, launching in January, is going to Pluto then on to a KBO. The New Horizons mission website is pretty good -

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

Bill

September 25, 2005 12:53 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

5-incher Mars 9/22

Posted By Bill Possel

Very nice photo, Ron!

Thanks
Bill

October 29, 2005 12:46 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Observation (October 26, 2005)

Posted By Bill Possel

Carlos

I'm sorry to hear about the damage you took during the storm. Hopefully the power will be restored soon.

Thanks for another superb drawing and description!

Bill Possel

November 26, 2005 01:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

so many tec maks, so little cash

Posted By Bill Possel

Last night, in dark, steady skies, my TEC 6 gave some great views of Mars, open clusters, the Veil and dim galaxies. The best part was putting in all back in the car without hurting my back! grin

Bill