New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ben Kokes

November 29, 2004 02:19 PM Forum: Star Parties

Where to go for a South Cal newbie

Posted By Ben Kokes

Hello all,

I am new to the Astronomy game and would like to go to one of the larger star viewing events. I know nothing about scopes except that the 650x on the side of K-mart scopes is a dirty, dirty like (no, I'm not bitter..) I figured that going out to the evets with many other enthusiasts would give me a feel what would be my better scope to start out with.

Also, how large are some of the star viewing events? 5 people? 50?

Any information would be appreciated...
thanks,
-Ben
benkokes AT hotmail DOT com.

January 4, 2005 05:16 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Best/first celestial objects to show a girlfriend?

Posted By Ben Kokes

What is the vote on the most romantic objects in the sky. Of course the Horsehead, and Saturn are wonderful, but those are the well knowns. What are the lesser knowns?

You experienced observers, what do you think?
-B

January 5, 2005 08:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mount for a Celestar8

Posted By Ben Kokes

Hey fellas,

I just bought a Celestar8 Deluxe WITHOUT the wedgemount or tripod. Since I need one, I was wondering if the scope would fit on the Standard tripod (vice the deluxe tripod).

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Ben

January 7, 2005 11:03 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Mounts for a Celestar 8

Posted By Ben Kokes

Hey all,

I purchased a Celestar 8 without mount or tripod, and was wondering if ANY wedger or tripod would work for me, or are the mounts relativelty specific for my application.. ( as in: DO I need a specific Celstar8 wedgepod?)

Thanks,
-Ben

January 12, 2005 03:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

DSC: Who has the best encoders?

Posted By Ben Kokes

I am in the market for a DSC for a Celestar8 and was wondering where I could find reviews/opinions of the current DSC's out there. I am interested in the mounting characteristics of the encoders( are they lo-profile, sturdy, etc...)

Thanks,
-Ben

January 13, 2005 10:48 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Eyepiece quality

Posted By Ben Kokes

I just bought a Parks 15mm eyepiece tonight and I LOVE it. its sweet

I do have a quick question: What brands are considered the higher quality? I was told by the sales-rep guy that the Televue and Parks are the better pieces, where the Meade and Celestron are Ok at best. Of course there are cost considerations, and since I am not likely to see the miniscule and minute flaws in solid/average pieces, I figured that I wouldnt be spending 200+ on single eyepieces.

what do you think?

January 13, 2005 10:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Imaging without a coupling

Posted By Ben Kokes

I was curious as to if it makes much of a difference for the body of the camera to be directly attached to the optical output of a scope? Is it not possible to just set the camera over the eyepiece to take a picture? ( obviously you can see that I have never taken a picture through a scope before). with the extra brackets on my 8" SCT and the diagonal, I could easily fab up a bracket to allow my Canon Powershot S50 to set directly over the eyepiece.( there are no mounting rings on this particular model of digital camera)

What do you guys think?

thanks,
-Ben

January 19, 2005 09:27 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Image Resolution calculations.

Posted By Ben Kokes

Hey there.
I was asked the other day if I would be able to seee the Lunar Landers, and didnt know. But I whipped out my trusty HP48G and figured out that my eyepiece has a 4000foot viewing image at what I assumed the highest power.

How do I figure out what size objects in the sky that I can resolve? ( straight math, not taking atmospheric conditions into play)

thanks!

January 25, 2005 01:15 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

DSC Help. Wondering about encoder resolution

Posted By Ben Kokes

Hey all,
I am now an owner of the AAM DSC system. I received two 2,000-tic encoders with the system and had a question about resolution.

As in, how sensitive should it be? Do DSC's just get you close, and you have to search for the point of interest after that? I am asking because the declanation axis encoder seems to be of insufficient resolution to point the scope with any reasonable accuracy. I can take the scope and move it a good 1/2" vertically before the encoder registers any movement.

Should I get the 4,000-tic encoders? Are the 8,000 or 10,000-tic encoders overkill?
Keep in mind that I have a Celestar 8".
Thanks!
-Ben

January 30, 2005 04:54 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

taking a telescope on an airplane

Posted By Ben Kokes

Sounds strange, but has anyone ever done this one?
I believe that I would have to break it down into many parts or something to get in under the size and weight constrictions(for OTA and tripod). It seems that standard allowances are about 62 linear inches and 50lbs per bag. And I can check 2.

Pelican cases, are they light?
I have a fairly large green military shipping case that is 68 linear inches ( but weighs a ton).

I would prefer the size of the OTA case to be 31 no longer than 31 inches...
any ideas at all?