My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steven Jindra

June 13, 2002 04:37 PM Forum: Takahashi

FS-60C Focusing Problem Fixed

Posted By Steven Jindra

Just wanted to relate my experience. I recently purchased a FS-60C through Astromart. On trying it out, I could not reach forward focus on a number of my Meade 4000 eyepieces or barlows (my one Televue EP would focus). On speaking to the seller, he used Televue EP's and did not experience the problem.

I called Land, Sea, and Sky / Texas Nautical and spoke with Art. I explained that I had bought it second hand and described the problem. He told me to bring it in (I live near Houston) it was under warrenty. On arriving I noticed the newer models had rear 1-1/4" adaptors that were 3/4" shorter than mine.

The salesman swapped out the adaptor to the shorter type, set up the scope on the front sidewalk, and we spent about 20 minutes checking focus on my eyepieces and barlows on a distant radio tower. Art said it was a direct exchange. Problem solved.

I would like to commend LSS/TNR for their support of the Takahashi scope, even though it was second hand. They even took the model number and registered under my name.

By the way, I really love this little scope.

July 4, 2002 03:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

LX-200 Quick 2 Star (Alt-Az) Polar Align

Posted By Steven Jindra

A while back, I remember reading about a technique of roughly polar aligning an LX-200 then doing a 2-star Alt-Az alignment. The key was telling the scope your location is on the North Pole at .5 Latitude with your own Longitude.
I have been searching the web trying to find this info again, unsucessfully.

Has anyone tried this method of polar aligning an LX-200, and if so with what results? Also, does anyone know the web site where that information can be found?

Thanks
Steven Jindra

July 5, 2002 05:52 AM Forum: Meade

Quick 2 Star (ALT AZ) Polar Align - Where?

Posted By Steven Jindra

A while back, I remember reading about a technique of roughly polar aligning an LX-200 then doing a 2-star Alt-Az alignment. The key was telling the scope your location is near the North Pole at .5 Latitude with your own Longitude.
I have been searching the web trying to find this info again, unsucessfully.

Has anyone tried this method of rough polar aligning an LX-200, and if so with what results? Also, does anyone know the web site where that information can be found?

Thanks
Steven Jindra

July 5, 2002 11:49 AM Forum: Takahashi

FS-60C Can Take the Power

Posted By Steven Jindra

A "short" experience.
I recently purchased an FS-60C to use for wider field video photography (with a low light security camera) and as a guide scope while mounted on my 10" LX-200. I bought a 5X Powermate to stretch the power. I tried pushing the little Tak (60mm with a 350mm focal length) past it's limit, but just couldn't get there. With the 5X Powermate before the diagnal (for 7.5X) and a 7mm Nagler, for 375X, the star image maintained a good set of defraction rings, although it did show some color. This isn't a practical power to use, but it did prove the quality of the Takahashi and all the other components involved. So with the 5X Powermate, I can quickly make my little 60mm, F5.9 scope an F29.5.

It almost sounds like the advertizement on a Tasco refractor box - 60mm at 375X.

Bottom line is - I'm impressed.

June 15, 2003 06:11 PM Forum: Takahashi

Anyone Tried FS-78 On Nexstar Mount?

Posted By Steven Jindra

I am in the process of obtaining an FS-78. I currently have both a Nexstar 5 and a Nexstar 80 mount. Has anyone matched an FS-78 with either or both of these mounts? If so, how well did they match up?

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Steven Jindra

June 30, 2003 11:32 PM Forum: Meade

LX-200 Improved Features From V2.5 to v3.34?

Posted By Steven Jindra

I am in the process of obtaining an LX-200 system (non-GPS). One being offered has the ROM version 2.5. Could anyone tell me the main differences between it (V2.5) and the newer version 3.34? Are the alignment and setup procedures different? Is it worth holding out for the newer version?
Any help is appreciated.
Steven Jindra

August 7, 2003 02:00 PM Forum: Refractors

Meade model 102/ACHR 500, 102mm f/9 Info?

Posted By Steven Jindra

I just purchased a Meade model 102/ACHR 500, 102mm f/9 achromatic refractor over Astromart. I plan to initially use it on a wooden tripod I have with a TV upswing head.

Could anyone tell me the weight of the OTA? What are some of it's good points and it's bad.

Thanks for any information.
Steven Jindra

August 7, 2003 08:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Any Meade 102/ACHR 500 f/9 Opinions?

Posted By Steven Jindra

I just purchased a Meade model 102/ACHR 500, 102mm f/9 achromatic refractor over Astromart (waiting for shipping). I plan to initially use it on a wooden tripod I have with a TV upswing head.

Could anyone tell me the weight of the OTA? Any opinions on some of it's good points and bad?

Thanks for any information.
Steven Jindra

September 1, 2003 09:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

114GT Go-to Mount for Tak & Mini-Dob for Friends

Posted By Steven Jindra

I bought one of the Nexstar 114GT's at Costco for a go-to mount for my Takahashi FS-78. The mount looks like it's working out great.

I was a little suprised at the quality of the views in the 114GT OTA. So I made a mini-Dob out of the OTA. It will primarily be my loaner scope for friends (the Tak is not loaned). The wood is made from cutting boards from Big Lots (a discount store).

It turned out to be one of the better $160 I've ever spent.

September 29, 2003 08:44 PM Forum: Takahashi

Re: Alternative Dust Cap for FS102

Posted By Steven Jindra

James
I have the FS-78. It has the same problem with the dust cap falling out. I have an old B&L Criterion 4000 with a broken corrector. It turns out the black plastic dust cover from it fits perfectly on the outside of the FS-78. It works great, but it does lesson that image of quality provided with the original cover.
That is my current solution, but it would be nice if Takahashi came out with something better (perhaps a threaded cap).

Steven Jindra