Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steven Jindra

September 11, 2009 03:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Washers to increase friction on mounts??

Posted By Steven Jindra

Roland
For your question #1, the platic from a gallon milk jug can be cut and serves to reduce friction, especially with two layers of it. And you can pour the milk over your Cherios.

On question #3, you can add an additional nut to tighten the wing nut against (double nut), but then you loose the easy adjustment function of the wingnut, so it probably isn't what you want.

Please post a photo when you get it built.

Steven Jindra

November 5, 2009 12:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Scope downsize

Posted By Steven Jindra

Tom
Your 5" limitation rules out the nice 4" APO refractors available. With an alt-az mount, these make a very portable setup.

November 14, 2010 07:23 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Walking Stick

Posted By Steven Jindra

Steve
What camera and lens did you use?
Thanks
Steven Jindra

April 19, 2011 05:27 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Question for Canon DSLR Users

Posted By Steven Jindra

Thomas
I have the 55-250 on an XT, for when my 6 year old grandson goes out shooting wildlife with me. It is a very nice lens for birds and wildlife, especially for the price. It's better that the less expensive 75-300 non-IS version. The 55-250 makes a nice combination with the 18-55 to cover a wide range of focal length. As often as not, my grandson walks away with the best shot of the day.

If she gets more serious, thext the next step is the EF-400 F5.6. I use it with the Canon 7D and it is a very nice combo, especially for catching birds in flight.

1. Yes
2. The IS works great, but best to turn off for birds in flight or fast movement, but use high shutter speed (1/1600 to 1/2000 second) in good light.
3. Pros - great lens for the price, good color and resolution. Quick focus. Light in weight.
Cons - for more serious bird and animal photography, will like longer focal length. Cheaper construction. Doesn't include a sun shield.

Wish you the best.
Steven Jindra

April 27, 2011 04:01 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Red-Tailed

Posted By Steven Jindra

Robert

Nice shots. I came across a Red-Tailed Hawk on the ground eating a squirrel, not too far off the road. After parking the car, he was very skittish at my aproach and flew off, taking his lunch with him. I got a few shots, but the distance and focus didn't make for the best shot. I believe his being on the ground, caused him more concern about me than yours being up on a tree branch.

What was your camera/lens, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks for sharing.
Steven Jindra

June 18, 2011 08:18 PM Forum: Refractors

Tough Decision - Keep FS128 or SV115-APO?

Posted By Steven Jindra

It looks like my FS-128 will be finding a new home. My head said that the SV115 made the better OTA for terrestrial photography, based on size, focal length, etc., but it took my heart a few months to become accustomed to the idea enough to let it go.

It's going to a good home though, the buyer is having me drop it off locally at LSS-TNR for a good cleaning and a 30,000 mile checkup.

Of course the SV115 is no slouch for astronomy, visual or imaging.

I picked up an SV field flattener (here on AM) wih the adaptors to thread directly to the SV115 3" FT focuser for shooting at F7 800mm. I also have a TAK FS102/128 .75X FF/FR with the adaptors required to get to about F5.25 600mm. With the 1.4X camera extender for F10 1100mm and a 2X extender for F14 1600mm, I can range from F5.25 600MM up to F14 1600mm. I've already tried out the 2X at F16 1600mm on a sunny day and it worked remarkably well for nesting eagles in HD Video (1080P).

Thanks for the comments.

Steven Jindra

June 30, 2020 11:16 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Resin Storage Building Observatory

Posted By Steven Jindra

I ordered a Suncast Glidetop 6’ 8” x 4’ 10” Resin Storage Shed to make a small (very small) back yard observatory. The roof  slides back about half way. The walls are about 4’ high.

It will sit on a small wood foundation. I plan to cut holes in the floor for the tripod legs and place the feet each on an 8” x 16” x 4” concrete block imbedded on the ground below the foundation. This will avoid any contact of the flooring and foundation with the legs.

It will be for a tripod, an AP600E mount, and a 4-1/2” refractor, primarily for Astro imaging. It is close whether I will be able to leave the OTA mounted when I close it up or if I will need to remove it.

I ordered all the wood and concrete blocks today and the shed is due this week. So construction is about to begin.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Does anyone have a similar setup? I will let all know how it turns out.

Thanks
Steve

June 30, 2020 11:51 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Posted By Steven Jindra

Good news.

After going over the measurements of the building and of my equipment, I should be able to leave the OTA, cameras, and guide-scope, mounted and rotate to a horizontal position and still close the doors and roof and lock it all up.

In the early hours of the morning it’s nice to be able to shut all down and be in the bed in 5 minutes (15 with a shower). Plus no real setup required the next day.

July 1, 2020 01:47 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Posted By Steven Jindra

One more update.

I decided to install my 6” x 30” steel pier. Figured it’s now or never. So this evening I’ll be digging a large hole and pouring a little concrete.

July 1, 2020 09:45 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Posted By Steven Jindra

Yep. I originally started off trying to keep the little building low profile, but a permanent pier is going to make it much nicer.

My wife is a little concerned about the back yard right now, seeing all those bags of concrete stacked up. So tomorrow I dig and pour. Once installed, the little building should be pretty unobtrusive.